Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Radir spindle mounts with Econoline spindles

72442conv

I have finally decided to break the piggy bank and get the Radir 12 Spoke spindle mount wheels. Well I just figured out that my car has Econoline spindles and that is a problem. Anyone ever done this before? Econoline spindles with 12 spoke Radir wheels?
Here is the issue. Seems that the Econoline spindle is very similar to the Ford spindle everyone is using. Difference is that the spindle is only 4.250 long where the Old Ford is 5.450 long.
Econoline spindle size:
Rear of the spindle where bearing goes is 1.250
Front of Spindle where bearing goes is .750
Length is 4.250
I talked to Rich at Radir and he said that they have a rear bearing that is 1.250 and they have a front bearing that is .750, but the wheel is built for the Ford spindle that is 5.450 long. I am thinking of machining the wheel so the front bearing is 1.200 further in. Rich said that the wheel has a ton of meat to do this. Anyone tried this before or has mounted these wheels on Econoline spindles?
I also talked to Jim at Wintec who suggested to change the spindles, problem with that is that the kingpin diameter is not the same, so the axle has to be reamed out and then I have to completely change the steering on the car :laugh: Big bucks.

Any help from the T-bucket gods would be appreciated :thumb:

Bought the wheels and I am working on this issue right now. Radir has the correct bearings for the front and rear. 1.250 rear .750 front. I have not taken them to the machine shop yet, but by my measurements the front race has to be about 1/2" further into the wheel and everything will fit perfectly. There is more than enough material inside the wheel to do this. So a good machine shop with a milling machine should be able to do it with little difficulty. I will update when it is done :rolleyes:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back