Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear bounce and body wobble

What is wrong with the setup that is on there now?

Yes, it is a little jewel, a diamond in the rough, a very unique little car. I found your post on valving. Interesting. I can see you're trying to learn as much as you possibly can. Good for you. Unga, bungaaa! The offer still stands.

Tyus4-- Did you FIX the radius rods and are you working on the Roadster?-----Also what state do you live in!?

Well i know you guys are pic whores. I tried going through rpm because they are a site sponsor but they didn't have shocks that would work for me. So I got these from speedway. Also, decided to paint the rearend. Rides much much better with these new shocks.
0328011322.jpg

Who are you calling a pic whore.
I ll have you know I am a
PICTURE whore, nothing less. Happy to hear you have a better ride now

Gerry
LOL

Did anyone else notice the tread wear on the inside of the rear tire or am I just seeing things? Thought I would mention this to see if anybody else noticed.:thinkn:

Who are you calling a pic whore.
I ll have you know I am a
PICTURE whore, nothing less. Happy to hear you have a better ride now

Gerry
LOL
Gerry is a picture PROSTITUTE. High class. My friend Jim's front radius rods appear to be on correctly (straight rod on top) but he swears that they should be flipped and that will give the steering arms and connecting rod more room to move. will just have to wait for that one.

John

Yeah when i first got it, it had way too much pressure. Its all set now

Too much air pressure will wear the center of the tread

Too little air pressure will wear the both outer edges of the tire

Excessive wear on one side of the tire is a camber problem inside wear too much camber, outside edge too little camber (wear in the rear indicates a possible bent housing)

If the wear is unequal from one side to the other and has a feathered edge on each row of the tread a toe problem is indicated (if the feathered edge is towards the outside of each tread it has too much toe out and vise versa)

As the complete left rear tire is not visible, nor is the right tire clearly shown and you have just acquired the car so the history of the tires is unknown, you need to check some other things other than air pressure.

Is the axle housing square with the direction of travel? Note I did not say square with the frame because it may not be square. If it is not square with the direction of travel the outside tread on one tire and the inside read of the other will be worn, There may also be some slight feathering of the tread which will be on the opposite on each tire.

After you are sure that the rear end is square to the direction of travel and the housing is not bent you will need to square the front axle to the rear axle, that is make the wheel base the same on both sides. Then set caster the same on both sides of the front axle. Finally set the front axle toe. Mabe Ted can supply the caster and toe settings.

Now it is possible that your steering wheel is not centered and this can be fixed by adjusting the steering arm.

Or if you are not comfortable with these settings locate a good alignment shop, one that has experience with your type of suspension. There are times when having a professional do the work is money well spent.

Al

Wow, that last post is intense. lol. The outside and inner of the tires are worn the same. The way i tried to figure out tire pressure was with water on the tread and see how much of the tire is contacting the ground like someone posted earlier. Maybe I need to up the pressure instead. The one problem with the pressure is none of my pressure gauges will show air int he tires. I dont know why either. I went out and bought a new gauge because I thought the one i had was broken but neither of them workd. Go to the front tires and they work fine. I dont know if them being really old bias plys (spelling) tires has anything to do with it. It seemed to ride alot better with less pressure so I wonder if now with the new shocks, adding pressure would help.

heres a thought. Are the rears running with tubes. Tubes in big tires can often give that strange shape at the edges. You can check by looking at the valves.

Gerry

I believe that if the tires are wearing on the outside then they are under-inflated. The problem is that if it has been run that way for a while (cause under-inflated tires give a softer ride, also see why you replaced the rear shocks) thats just the way it is. Might want to think 'bout replacing the rear tires.Yup, just looked at them again - replace 'em. Also, maybe, because of the volume of air that has to be put into the tire, you might need a truck tire gauge. Are you using one of those quarter air machines? They don't put out enough volume to blow out a candle. If I am wrong, some one will correct me.

John

P.S. If you have toe in or toe out problems or camber problems with the rear end then you have real problems.

Some manufacturer's valve stems have the valve itself too deep in the stem for shallow tire gauges to depress and read. You need a deep gauge.

Jeff

As for replacing the rear tires, it will be done soon enough. Ordering all new rims and tires with tax returns once I finally get it.

I have no clue what to look for, to see if it has tubes.

If tires have tube you will not see the flange holding the stem in.It looks like an O-ring just above the base.
snap-valve-stem-G26118M.jpg
Where if it has a tube you will see the rim all the way around the base of the stem . Unless you have bolt in stems then they could have tubes or not.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back