Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear radius rod shackles

From what I'm seeing is the frame/body is not centered over the rear end, post #10 . Shackles from (BOTH) sides should be at a 45 degree angle from their mounting points at an unsprung weight with no springs on the shocks and a pan hard bar installed.

Panhard bar with a leaf spring?

Yes, same as on front axle with a transverse leaf spring. Shackles have a tendency to move side to side causing unwanted motion of front or rear end. If it had parallel leaf springs or quarter elliptical springs on the front/rear, then no unless you have cross steering on the front. IMHO a pan hard bar is necessary on the front end regardless of steering type and one for the rear to keep the body/frame from moving side to side under acceleration and bumps in the road when the car is loaded with weight to compress the spring(s).

Just for the sake of arguement, just yank those coilovers, and mount on some gas filler heavy duty Monroes....it looks like the shocks have a helper spring setup, not true coilovers....
You should have enough leaf spring for 2 pretty stout people in your car. If not, either add a leaf, poss. get a new spring pack.

As far as getting the leaf spring in the correct position to hook up your shackles, use a piece of barstock or square tubing, stout enough to c-clamp the ends of your spring to and hold it in position, then hook up your shackles. I use a bar with a adjustment at each end so I can actually compress the spring slightly, it has curved ends that go over the end of the springs.
Be careful! Those springs can release alot of energy and bust you up pretty good if done badly.
You might ought to consider getting your springs re-arched of your spring is weak....

Last edited:
I beleive he has the wrong leaf springs period, Leaf springs must be spread into possistion, If they have to be pulled , then after an auckward bump the shackle will overcenter and lock out.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back