Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Restoring 1970's California T-bucket with Tube Frame

Here are some of the pictures from today. I haven't washed the car yet from the build. Enjoy:
DSC02791.JPG

Here are two Show plaques that I found on the car under the top. The top one is aluminum and says "Mr Roadster, Merced California, 1978" The brass one says "Western Nationals, Merced, California, 1978"
DSC02790.JPG

I found some Moon Eyes that the car originally had on it and got an Antique Plate.
DSC02788.JPG

I have the air scoop off of the car because I am still playing with the carbs on it.
DSC02787.JPG

DSC02789.JPG

Well that is about it for Pictures today. The car drives really nice! The steering wheel is going to be replaced with one of the Old School Chain Steering wheels from Speedway

I hope you like it. My son had one on his '31 sedan a couple of years ago for about 3 or 4 months. He says the chain hurt his hands after 30 minutes or so of driving. Then it jammed his thumb on rebound once and that was it - off it came! Now it's hanging on his garage wall. He went back to the smooth style like you had before (except his is white/chrome) only larger diameter.

I hope you like it. My son had one on his '31 sedan a couple of years ago for about 3 or 4 months. He says the chain hurt his hands after 30 minutes or so of driving. Then it jammed his thumb on rebound once and that was it - off it came! Now it's hanging on his garage wall. He went back to the smooth style like you had before (except his is white/chrome) only larger diameter.

Thanks for the heads up! It might be hanging on my wall too! I might have to wear my NASCAR driving gloves.

Man that is nice !!!!

Looks great Fred.:thumbsup:
Were you able to get the carbs sorted out?
It is running pretty good right now but I want to check the vacuum and see which power valve I should be running. I put in 50 cc diaphrams and bigger dia squirter nozzels and richened the idle mixture screws. I also had the secondary float set low on one of the carbs. Still tinkering. You know how that goes!

New update and problems found! I have been having a hell of a time trying to get this T to run right! After about 70 miles on the car, I detected what I thought was a miss or poping sound under load. It would idle ok but the vacuum was runing only about 13 lbs at idle. The poping (miss) kept getting worse and it sounded just like a fouled plug that will eventually clear its self if you raise the RPM under no load. That didn't work so I installed new plugs. No Change, installed new wires, no change, installed a pertronix electronic ignition, no change, installed new rotor cap and rotor, no change.....you get the idea! I have now eliminated everything electrical so now I know that I need to hit it with a hammer as one of our Members would say! I limp the car over to a friends diagnostic machine where we would kill one cylinder at a time and note the readings. I had already checked the compression on all cylinders and the lowest was 150 and the higest was 160. I was surprised that the compression was so high but was told that this was a fresh rebuilt 350. Anyway, #7 cylinder was my problem! When #7 was killed, the engine gained 900 rpm! You engine guys can probably figure it out from here but what I found was not a collapsed lifter but a wiped cam exhaust lobe! The #7 exhaust valve was not opening so that I was getting a compression stroke on the exhaust and when the intake on #7 opened, all that pressure blew into the intake! As time went buy and I put miles on the car, the cam wore down to the point that it cupped the lifter and there was no lift to open the valve. The cam was apparently never broken in on this car before I got it. Anyway, the new cam and lifters arrive on Tuesday. I am installing new valve springs because these seem weak and I don't trust them. I am dropping the pan and installing a new HP oil pump. I think the motor will be fine as far as metal goes and I can't wait to see what this thing runs like with the new parts. I am not upset about all of this, it is hot rodding after all. We live for the challenges and the problem solving and I have learned more than I knew before so it is all good.

Clean the motor as good as you can. The metal that left the lifters is in there somewhere if the filter didn't get it!
I agree and that is one of the reasons that I am dropping the pan to take a look and installing a new oil pump. I only had one bad lobe on #7 which I find strange. I will get some pictures tomorrow of the cam and post them.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back