Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Saddest Day of a Car Guy's Year

The first week of October I put my bucket up for the winter for the 47th time. Each year it gets harder to prepare it for storage, get it up on the wheel dollies and pushed back into the corner of the garage. Now I'll spend the next months wondering if I'll be able to get out and running again come spring.
Man, my heart goes out to you!!! I'm several years away (I think!), but wondering how long do I really have!!!

Man, my heart goes out to you!!! I'm several years away (I think!), but wondering how long do I really have!!!
Me Too. There is no promise of tomorrow for any of us though. We have had some serious unexpected health issues come up from nowhere and really make me wonder! We endured it. Enjoy it while you have it! I keep wondering why I stay here because I love drop tops, bikes, etc...Wind in my hair. I am too vested in real estate, kids and older relatives to relocate. And at this stage of the game, I doubt that I have the energy to start over. I am seriously considering buying a place in Fla to go in the Winter. My daughter is still in school, but I see the day coming. Stay warm!

I am seriously considering buying a place in Fla to go in the Winter. My daughter is still in school, but I see the day coming. Stay warm!
I'm with you! I like the summers here, but the winters are brutal for me lately. Even my wife (who normally never complains) says it's getting old. I'm about 10 years away from retirement, but I can definitely see us doing something like that. My son will be well in his 20's and no longer dependent on us (hopefully lol.) I just hope the finances will allow it at that time...

Me Too. There is no promise of tomorrow for any of us though. We have had some serious unexpected health issues come up from nowhere and really make me wonder! We endured it. Enjoy it while you have it! I keep wondering why I stay here because I love drop tops, bikes, etc...Wind in my hair. I am too vested in real estate, kids and older relatives to relocate. And at this stage of the game, I doubt that I have the energy to start over. I am seriously considering buying a place in Fla to go in the Winter. My daughter is still in school, but I see the day coming. Stay warm!

Those northerners that winter here in Florida are called "snowbirds".

Jim

Those northerners that winter here in Florida are called "snowbirds".
Ontario snowbirds, or Quebec snowbirds? ;) Let me guess - the Ontario snowbirds wear white socks with their sandals, whilst the Quebec variety wear black socks with theirs. :laugh:

Actually, I am the exception to the rule. Other than visiting Disney World, I cannot ever imagine going to Florida for anything. As much as I detest snow and cold weather, I would much prefer living here, to living in Florida. I always say the last time I visited Florida, I was certain not to leave anything behind, so I would never have to go back. I'm sure areas of Florida are wonderful, but I've never seen them.

When I was doing the IT work, my accountant asked me where I would like to retire, and without a moment's hesitation, I said Dunoon, Scotland. But I wouldn't mind living in gold country, out in California. Sadly, with what I earn at Purdue, my sights are set no higher than a refrigerator box, right here, on the banks of the Wabash River. :x3:

Ontario snowbirds, or Quebec snowbirds? ;) Let me guess - the Ontario snowbirds wear white socks with their sandals, whilst the Quebec variety wear black socks with theirs. :laugh:

Actually, I am the exception to the rule. Other than visiting Disney World, I cannot ever imagine going to Florida for anything. As much as I detest snow and cold weather, I would much prefer living here, to living in Florida. I always say the last time I visited Florida, I was certain not to leave anything behind, so I would never have to go back. I'm sure areas of Florida are wonderful, but I've never seen them.

When I was doing the IT work, my accountant asked me where I would like to retire, and without a moment's hesitation, I said Dunoon, Scotland. But I wouldn't mind living in gold country, out in California. Sadly, with what I earn at Purdue, my sights are set no higher than a refrigerator box, right here, on the banks of the Wabash River. :x3:
I would never move to Fla, My Dad lived there and my in-laws and several other relatives do as well. I hate it in the summer, but I like the warmth in the Winter. One thing for sure, I will avoid the tourist attractions at all cost! I thought about just traveling during the cold months, but i don't like to just travel, and I do like my things...

I have enjoyed visiting Florida many times, but the place I would love to move to is California. I've only been there twice (LA area) going to the Roadster Show, Peterson Museum, and doing the usual tourist stuff, but the weather is incredible! Zero humidity, perfect temps, no bugs that we could see (other than the VW variety). And it's definitely the car guy's Mecca, though the traffic was everything I've heard.

We rented a 2013 Corvette convertible and drove through some canyon roads with spectacular vistas. It was heaven on earth. My place to be for sure.

A few notable rides...

I have enjoyed visiting Florida many times, but the place I would love to move to is California. I've only been there twice (LA area) going to the Roadster Show, Peterson Museum, and doing the usual tourist stuff, but the weather is incredible! Zero humidity, perfect temps, no bugs that we could see (other than the VW variety). And it's definitely the car guy's Mecca, though the traffic was everything I've heard.

We rented a 2013 Corvette convertible and drove through some canyon roads with spectacular vistas. It was heaven on earth. My place to be for sure.

A few notable rides...

That's Awesome! I have never been there, I always wanted to, but the stories about cost of living, traffic, and population tainted it in my mind. I have been to Phoenix, and it was neat, but no greenery at all. That's why I thought about spending a couple years in a motor home and just see what there is to see. Its hard to just leave everything when you are used to being the one who handles everything...There is a cool car museum in Ocala as well, Don Garlits, I think. They have old dragsters and a lot of Mopar stuff.

but the stories about cost of living, traffic, and population tainted it in my mind.

Believe every word of it. The weather couldn't be any better. No humidity, usually in the 70's or low 80's, car shows and cruisin' 365 days a year, but during the week if you try to go anywhere outside of 10:00 AM - 1:30 PM you had better have a very large gas tank.

In the 60's here today in St. Louis. Went for a ride to the gas station. Later will take step-son-in-law for a ride. Will be his first in the 27T. Gotta take advantage of the weather on the occasion it gets nice during the winter.

In the 60's here today in St. Louis. Went for a ride to the gas station. Later will take step-son-in-law for a ride. Will be his first in the 27T. Gotta take advantage of the weather on the occasion it gets nice during the winter.
It's warmer here today, but very grey and calling for rain...Enjoy!

70s here in Tulsa today. Went for a little 50 mile ride to my buddies house. Luckily, the winters here are not to long, and usually not lower than the twenties for more then a few days. I am able to take the car out at least a couple of times a week during the winter.
Lee

Believe every word of it. The weather couldn't be any better. No humidity, usually in the 70's or low 80's, car shows and cruisin' 365 days a year, but during the week if you try to go anywhere outside of 10:00 AM - 1:30 PM you had better have a very large gas tank.
The year we did the World Finals, at Pomona, I learned the secret to L.A. traffic.

We were staying at a pal's house, in Brea, just off Imperial Highway, east of the Orange Freeway. Of a morning, we would run up the Orange, grab the Pomona Freeway and head east to White Avenue, in Pomona. And we could run the speed limit, completely unimpeded, because all the traffic was stacked up in the westbound lanes, trying to get into town.

In the evening, the procedure was just reversed. Everyone was headed east, trying to get the heck out of the city, but we would have almost zero traffic heading west.

I had a job offer in Placencia, with an annual salary that had me drooling. But, by the time I found a place to live, and paid the horrendous car insurance rates, my standard of living was going to be no better than it is here. And, like a numpty, I decided to stay here.

I've a close friend who stays in Richmond, up on the NE side of the Bay. But I just never felt much of an attraction to that area, for some reason. I like visiting the Bay Area, but I never felt like I would want to live there.

"my sights are set no higher than a refrigerator box, right here, on the banks of the Wabash River. :x3:"

That's a great line and where many of us are at these days.

C'mon up north. It is currently 21°, with a wind chill number of 10°. Thankfully, the snow they were forecasting for today never materialized, although I saw some flurries blowing around, just before sunset. It's so cold here, the politicians have their hands in their own pockets!

Hahahaha Mike. I am originally from Canada, I'm still wearing shorts at 21*. lol. Twelve years ago I moved to Louisiana to get away from the snow now for the last 4 years I have been working in Ohio. Go figure...

Hahahaha Mike. I am originally from Canada, I'm still wearing shorts at 21*. lol.
I got home from work, one morning last winter, and the previous night's snowfall had blanketed the dish to a point where I had no signal. I walked downstairs, swamped through the knee-high snow down the drive, walked across the front lawn, and was sweeping snow off the dish with my hand. I noticed a guy across the street was staring at me, but I had no idea why. Until I was coming back up the steps and realized I had gone outside with no shoes or socks. :barefoot:

I got home from work, one morning last winter, and the previous night's snowfall had blanketed the dish to a point where I had no signal. I walked downstairs, swamped through the knee-high snow down the drive, walked across the front lawn, and was sweeping snow off the dish with my hand. I noticed a guy across the street was staring at me, but I had no idea why. Until I was coming back up the steps and realized I had gone outside with no shoes or socks. :barefoot:
At least you had pants! Right?:laugh: Non-stick cooking spray helps with the snow/ice in the dish.

I'm down in Boca Raton FL on business for a few days and I'll admit it's nice to have the car window down and in short sleeves. :thumbsup: I did a couple years in Miami and Ft Myers, but hated the summers. I totally get the summer in the Midwest and winter in FL thing.

Unfortunately, I have to go back home on Thursday and promptly drive to northern Indiana on Friday... Burr! :confused:

Mike: I'll try to bottle some of this weather and release it out on Friday when I drive by Lafayette on 65! ;)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back