Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Seat webbed area dimension

This may or may not help. By curving the seat up under the legs it gives more support and 'lengthens' the seat. My Bucket is a 15 with 2" added in the length and a friend who is a good 18 stone (18 x 14lbs) says he can sit in it comfortably.

I wish I had the ability to do something like that. I am planning on lengthening the seat a bit to around 22" front to back, to get more thigh support...maybe more.

Not to make you crazy with options :eek::eek:, but my office chairs on a wood box handle my 280# very well:

seat%2Bbox%2B77.JPG

I got these at Sam's Club for $80, but you can find many variations on the interweb. Low back, high back, colors, materials, etc. Leave off the base and arms, and just bolt them to the box. I fooled around to get the exact tilt and height I liked, then made the box of 2x6 and MDF.

Not to make you crazy with options :eek::eek:, but my office chairs on a wood box handle my 280# very well:

seat%2Bbox%2B77.JPG

I got these at Sam's Club for $80, but you can find many variations on the interweb. Low back, high back, colors, materials, etc. Leave off the base and arms, and just bolt them to the box. I fooled around to get the exact tilt and height I liked, then made the box of 2x6 and MDF.

Options don't make me crazy...besides being redundant, it's not having options that frustrate me. I love a cool solution...even if I can't use it for my situation.

No doubt that is a really cool setup, and I wish I could do something similar. The problem is the drive shaft tunnel that angles up towards the rear. It rises above the level of the seat about half way back, and continues rising the rest of the way back. Plus the seat base must do double duty as a hatch. Under the seat will be open all the way to the ground, and the brake booster & master and the suspension air tank will share the space with the transmission tail and the drive shaft. The one piece seats would not be real conducive to opening the hatch.

Some cheap office chairs have really good padded upholstery. You could just strip off the upholstery and use that. I have seen interior panels on a 32 held in with magnets (Neodymium) so they could be taken on and off to fit a hard top. They hold better than velcro. Just a thought.

Some cheap office chairs have really good padded upholstery. You could just strip off the upholstery and use that. I have seen interior panels on a 32 held in with magnets (Neodymium) so they could be taken on and off to fit a hard top. They hold better than velcro. Just a thought.
Yeah, my chairs are very comfy, memory foam and good lumbar support. I did 300 miles to the T Nats and felt great at the end.

I've had an idea along similar lines. The backrest is going to be a square or trapezoid shaped board with foam on the face and simple upholstery. The back has never been an issue. For the base, the plywood cut out for the tunnel, and as big as possible cut out for the webbing. Then for cushioning and upholstery, 2 of the wheelchair Gel cushions, covered with matching upholstery, and held in place with velcro. Those cushions are intended for long term sitting comfort, and are available is a variety of dimensions <shrug>

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back