Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Shock mounting??

Ron, your eye's are better than mine! I didn't notice that cross member in the way. :eek:

Fourdy,

If you have more welding to do, maybe just weld it to the frame?

David

RexRod said:
Ron, your eye's are better than mine! I didn't notice that cross member in the way. :eek:

David

David,

Do like you originally planned. Put a threaded tube through both walls of your frame. Chamfer both the frame rails and the tube to form a V. This will allow for god weld penetration and you can sand it flush under your shock bracket.

George

Youngster said:
ok thanks...i didn't have the monroe pt #

Ron

Youngster, I got those shocks from O'Reilleys auto parts and they look sweet! Painted black from the factory (matches my paint scheme). They were $21 each. I removed the upper shield to fit my application.

the first time i used them i think they were just under 5 bucks frome montgomery wards ...... make that 5 bucks a pair!!!!

Ron

Montgomery Wards! My mom used to take me there to get my P.F. Flyer sneakers!:lol:

Gee, why am I proud of that?:lol::eek::lol:

Youngster said:
that's a good idea. anything you can do to spread that stress out is to your advantage. the tube and bolt set up ted refers to is a good one also but it looks as though your front crossmenber is in the way for that.

Ron
Well the shock is right across from the crossmember, I believe?? You should be able to get a bolt and nut in there, if you do do a blind threaded tube, be sure to use drilled bolts, so you can safety wire them, to keep from ever backing out or even loosening up at all, not good, as shocks are under a lot more stress than you think... That is one of the most fixed items I have done over the years.. Broken mounts, or tore out of the frame... Just a thought...

I did choose to bolt the bracket on as it would be easier to remove the shock due to space restriction such as the fender support arm. I will check to see if the shock can be removed and replaced without removing the bracket and if so, go ahead and weld the bracket to the frame.

I am pretty sure it will work all right.

I sure don't want those brackets ripping off.

Thanks to all,

Fourdy

Does anyone remember the motor cycle that was for sale in the MW catalog. My neighbor in Liberal KS had one back in 69 or 70 his dad ordered one for him for christmas it was called the Wards Riverside. And it ran like a SAA . 125cc with left kick start.

at one time wards was my speed emporium. you could order everything from a set of finned heads for your flathead to a rebuilt 331 hemi from your local catalog store. they had a great dual exhaust system for my '52 ford vicky. glass packs didn't last long tho. as archie used to say.."those where the days!"

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back