Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

side pipe support

Northstar T

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I'm starting to think of how I want to fabricate my exaust system, but aren'r cracks an issue with the long side pipes I see ? Seems like a lot of weight hanging out there to not have issues in some cases. I've looked at a lot of examples, to get some ideas for my own, and I don't think I've seen any rear support on a system yet however.
thinkn.gif

I plan to have short turn outs at about the rear of the doors.

Cheers,
Russ

Put a clamp on each mufler, run a tie bar between them, tie it to the transmission (not the frame), so that the whole thing can move as a unit, and that way you'll have the exhaust supported.

qo8v9g.jpg

I'm starting to think of how I want to fabricate my exaust system, but aren'r cracks an issue with the long side pipes I see ? Seems like a lot of weight hanging out there to not have issues in some cases. I've looked at a lot of examples, to get some ideas for my own, and I don't think I've seen any rear support on a system yet however.
thinkn.gif

I plan to have short turn outs at about the rear of the doors.

Cheers,
Russ

When I built mine, I put a 1/2" solid rod support (1/2" bolt with head cut off) from the header that attached to the frame with energy suspension 4 bar bushings. Its only visible when you look down on the headers. The support is behind the door just before the turnout. It works great and is very strong. You can just barely see the support in this pic.

P1040866.jpg

Here is a shot of the way I supported mine. Works very well.

IMG_9855.jpg

Jim

Good to see that some have added support. I just couldn't imagine it not cracking tubes otherwise. I'd use the mount to the trans if at all possible, so it twists with the engine. even on a V-8 Fiero I built a few years ago I hung the muffler system from several short springs to counterbalance the weight. and those only hung out a less than two feet.

Thanks guys. nice looking rides there BTW!

Russ

If you are building your own headers, use .090 wall tubing for your main header tubes, and not a real tight bend if possible, this will make them last a very long time on the street, with or without extra braces, but if you do decide to use braces, tie them to the trans... I have had many people (over the years) stand on my mufflers trying to figure out how to get in.. hehe I hated the NOISE when I had mine exhaust out at the sides near the doors, so I now run mufflers next to the body and out the rearm sooo much better, no gas fumes coming in either... Getting old I reckon.. :laugh:

If you are building your own headers, use .090 wall tubing for your main header tubes, and not a real tight bend if possible, this will make them last a very long time on the street, with or without extra braces, but if you do decide to use braces, tie them to the trans... I have had many people (over the years) stand on my mufflers trying to figure out how to get in.. hehe I hated the NOISE when I had mine exhaust out at the sides near the doors, so I now run mufflers next to the body and out the rearm sooo much better, no gas fumes coming in either... Getting old I reckon..
ab.gif

Sounds like good advise Ted. I looked at my setup again this PM and I will be able to make a mount off either side of the trans where the tailshaft bolts on. I figure that the exhaust music is worth putting up with some fumes (they'''vve nevverrr huurt me annyway) most of the time. but as stated elsewhere, I would like the option of diverting to mufflers when the wife is with me, or on longer drives. What type of mufflers do you use? I'm already running out of room under there.

Cheers,
Russ

Sounds like good advise Ted. I looked at my setup again this PM and I will be able to make a mount off either side of the trans where the tailshaft bolts on. I figure that the exhaust music is worth putting up with some fumes (they'''vve nevverrr huurt me annyway) most of the time. but as stated elsewhere, I would like the option of diverting to mufflers when the wife is with me, or on longer drives. What type of mufflers do you use? I'm already running out of room under there.

Cheers,
Russ
I use 30" oval steel packs right now, but they have been on the car for many years, and are ready to die (puke their sides out) and they are mounted between my rear radius rods and the frame (outside, not under) plenty of room that way... Yes the quiet and no fumes are mostly for the Ladies, that is who rides shotgun most of the time, they are the most fun... :)

I use 30" oval steel packs right now, but they have been on the car for many years, and are ready to die (puke their sides out) and they are mounted between my rear radius rods and the frame (outside, not under) plenty of room that way... Yes the quiet and no fumes are mostly for the Ladies, that is who rides shotgun most of the time, they are the most fun...
ab.gif

I'd love to see some detail pictures of your car Ted, but I don't see any in your "album". do you have any posted somewhere else?

Russ

I'd love to see some detail pictures of your car Ted, but I don't see any in your "album". do you have any posted somewhere else?

Russ

He has them on his facebook page. IIRC when you click on their name it will take you to their profile and that is where his facebook link is.

Put a clamp on each mufler, run a tie bar between them, tie it to the transmission (not the frame), so that the whole thing can move as a unit, and that way you'll have the exhaust supported.

qo8v9g.jpg

That is a really good idea. I was thinking of just making a rest point below the sidepipe or adding a step right there that you could hang it from. I really like the step idea but not too sure how it would look. It would definitely make it easier to get in and out.

That is a really good idea. I was thinking of just making a rest point below the sidepipe or adding a step right there that you could hang it from. I really like the step idea but not too sure how it would look. It would definitely make it easier to get in and out.

Yup. my thought exactly. I was thinking of incorporating a small oval step (model A rumbel seat step?) into the system.

Thanks for the link BTW,
Russ

I was thinking of incorporating a small oval step (model A rumbel seat step?) into the system.

I never really cared for steps but after watching my 11 yo granddaughter use my pipes as a step for getting into the T-Bucket i decided i better suck it up and add some steps. I ordered a pair of the 4" round Model A step plates from Speedway. I just need to get 'em mounted up. I'll probably just make a bracket and bolt them to the frame above the pipes.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back