Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Spindle/Steering arm question(s)

Coupefreak

Finally got back out in the shop to work on the c-cab chassis.
got all the front end stuff, rotors, calipers, steering arms, etc.
Should be gettin' a set of RPM rear radius rods soon.
I'm not thrilled at the way my steering arms are.....they put the tie rod out in front of the axle......I'm not sure I want to use it as a bumper, like Fred had to.:confused:
my spindles came from TP. they appear to closely resemble 49-54 Chevy spindles, can anyone verify this for me??
Or.....does anyone have a set of 49-54 Chevy spindles they can measure bolt centers for me?? both horizontal and vertical??
I would really like to get the tie rod behind the front axle.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it

Vance

Vance, TP spindles look like Chevy's but are different. Nothing I know of interchanges with them. Their arms are bent out to correct Ackermann. Don't worry about the tie rod out front, if you hit that hard you won't be going very far anyway. :eek::)

Don

Coupefreak said:
Finally got back out in the shop to work on the c-cab chassis.
got all the front end stuff, rotors, calipers, steering arms, etc.
Should be gettin' a set of RPM rear radius rods soon.
I'm not thrilled at the way my steering arms are.....they put the tie rod out in front of the axle......I'm not sure I want to use it as a bumper, like Fred had to.:confused:
my spindles came from TP. they appear to closely resemble 49-54 Chevy spindles, can anyone verify this for me??
Or.....does anyone have a set of 49-54 Chevy spindles they can measure bolt centers for me?? both horizontal and vertical??
I would really like to get the tie rod behind the front axle.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it

Vance
Put the arms on the oposite sides and maybe turn them over, but, aim them to the rear, looks real dumb in the front, plus it gets waay too much wind there also, no wonder the settings are soo crazy to keep the wheels from wobble with the tie rod in front... just not right...

Hey Coupe glad you are back at it ,,

RPM said:
I got your radius rods done and boxed up. No mail today as it is a holiday. So they will go out tomorrow.

Thanks Ron.......can't wait:D

Vance

RocknT said:
Hey Coupe glad you are back at it ,,
Yessir.....finally!!:rolleyes::lol:
been gathering up parts, and saving pennies;)
but it should be a roller REAL soon:cool:

Vance

In my Total Performance printed catalog, the upper and lower steering arms offered for the TP and Chevy spindles are the same. All the steering arms listed for the TP spindles are indicated by "TP/Chevy". Although the kingpins are different between the TP(econoline) and Chevy, you should be fine using Chevy steering arms.

I have Ford spindles, a 4" dropped I-beam, and a reversed eye spring mounted behind the axle on a Total Performance chassis. I currently have the tie-rod out front with TP lower steering arms. In order to get the tie-rod behind the axle/under the radius rods, I'd need lower steering arms with an 8" drop! I ordered some CCR steering arms to put the tie rod behind the axle and on top of the frame. We'll see how that looks next weekend.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Ted,

I bought the CCR bolt-on steering arms. Just got back in town this afternoon, so I haven't had the chance to fully install 'em yet. It looks like they'll work well. Had to rotate my brake caliper brackets to make them work. I'll post some photos in a new thread when I finish early next week.

Mike

rb61069 said:
Mike, Which calipers are you using?

I'm using GM Metric calipers ('78-up). Speedway sells the kit with 11" brake rotors, brackets, etc.

Doesn't look like I'll have much time to work on the bucket tomorrow, but I should have a story(success or otherwise) to tell by early in the week.

Mike

Thats the one I wanted to use with the steering behind the axle. I seen someone using those arms and brake kit. It looked odd! They had the calipers in front of the axle instead of behind the axle. Can't wait to see yours!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back