Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Spirit Stretch body

ORF, I love your jig to cut the floor. Thanks for sharing the pics.

WOW! When I started this I knew it may be a while between updates, but I didn't expect 2 MONTHS! I'll try to do better. I have got to redo the hinges again, but I wanted to show what I have now. The Bear Claw latches are in the door jams and glued. The cross bars for the hinge bars are there to be screwed and glued. After I get the hinges installed and welded, I will finish cutting the door out and glassing everything in.
img0018jn.jpg

This is the hinge. It needs a little more radius and I decided to weld the part for the door to mre accurately position it in place.

img0016xg.jpg

This is the latch. It is latched then both pieced glued to the body.

img0023ea.jpg

This is the frame for the door. As you can see, I will have plenty of room to clear the steering wheel when I get in!

This has been a fun and very frustrating project for me. My skill level is way below where I want it to be, but it's been 30 years since I did this and I think it is good to make me get out of the recliner! The skills will improve I hope! I'll try not to wait so long to post more. Like they say on TV "Thanks for watching!"

Dang,,, wish I had seen this post before starting my floor ha ha ha... didn't think about filling the crack nor did I know what to use. Really like the all thread pattern idea. How did you get the outline to the template. I assume you used something to press against the all thread that would bend easily and then traced out the line.

No, very simple. I put the gauge against the straight edge of some 1/4" luan plywood and used a sharpie pen to make a dot at the end of each rod. Then connect the dots and cut it with a band saw ( a saber saw would work). Fine tune with a sander then make the other side. Then I clamped both patterns to the frame rails and put a piece of 1x2 scrap across near the front and near the back and shot a couple of brads to hold them the right distance apart. Then simply lay your pattern on your 3/4" ply and trace it out. Mine fit real good but I did a little sanding. The Corvette body cement was a little runnier than bondo but it didn't run out of the gap. It set up in about an hour and seems to hold good. When all the wood is in I will reinforce it with a couple layers of 1/8" glass mat. You can see the pattern in post #3 of this thread.
If you are still confused ask and I'll try to answer any questions. John

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back