Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

steering angle...

I'm building my bucket using a Spirit chassis with there standard front end. (Super Bell slingshot and steering arms etc.) The steering angle is limited by the tie rod running into the spring hanger... Is this right, or did I do something wrong?

After all when I first put it together I put the steering arms forword :eek: ...
vbpgimage.php

you didn't do anything wrong. that's plenty of turning radius. it looks like you might be able to get another inch or so before hitting your drag link. i would just go with it the way it is. if you're worried about hitting the shackle, you could weld a piece on the king pin tube to hit the spindle before the tie rod hits the shackle. this is why there is a long nut on the stock Ford axle for the locating pin for the king pin.

Ron

Thanks!

Just checking... I'm hoping that it will be enough as my buckets a bit longer then most with a 132" wheel base. It has a full 60" bed behind the bucket.

The tie rod is connected to the steering arms with heim joints, just putting a bend in the tie rod would allow it to drop. It would have to be supported in the middle if it were bent. And the tie rod would lose much of its strength, it would tend to bow.

opps... little typo my wheel base is not 135" it's 153" (Just a little shorter then a F250 crew cab)

bentbaggerlen said:
The tie rod is connected to the steering arms with heim joints, just putting a bend in the tie rod would allow it to drop. It would have to be supported in the middle if it were bent. And the tie rod would lose much of its strength, it would tend to bow.

opps... little typo my wheel base is not 135" it's 153" (Just a little shorter then a F250 crew cab)

Well in reality you're not going to get a whole lot more steering angle that what you have pictured so you are just going to have to understand you'll need a lot of space to turn around with a 153" wheelbase! :eek:

No, but every little bit would help. It's kinda funny I keep ending up with really long vehicals. The wife and I ride tandem recumbent bicycle with a 116" wheel base. And then the bucket with 153" If it is too long I could still shorten it up by about 12" or so.

153", 135" , 153" its hard to keep it straight :D

I think Al has a good idea with lowering the tie rod by lowering the steering arm. Otherwise you may need to get longer steering arms. With the extended wheelbase has your ackerman ever been checked?

one reason i like to use Chassis Engineering arms are becuase of the drop. they offer two different ones. the other is because the bolts pas through them and not into them. a little late for you i know.

Ron

I'm going to look at heating the arms and bending them down under. First I'll check with Superbell about doing it. But I think I'll wait a few weeks before I do anything. I'll have my windshield mounted before too long and then I can use a dealer plate and take it for a test ride. If it drives ok, then no problem!

Changing out the arms would not be a big deal, nothing wrong with old arms so I could pass them along to someone who may need them. I'll check out Chassis Engineering.

At work we change the wheelbases of trucks all the time, we add axels, remove axels, wrap the frames etc. Even with a 200" strech the ackerman angles have never been a problem.

Thanks!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back