Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering/ suspension Ideas?

I am using a 4" dropped tube axle with '54 Chevy spindles that has '74 Nova calipers and rotors. The springs came out of my '37 Chevy as did the axle and brake set up when I up dated to a Mustang II front suspension. (As a matter of fact, that is how my whole car came about in the first place. As I was removing all these perfectly good parts from my '37 for the update, I decided to build a car from these "junk" parts. Hence the car's name, EX JUNK.) I cut the front semi elliptic springs in half to create the quarter elliptic springs that are shown. The steering box is out of a "junked" Vega.

I do hope that this will help others in their build ideas. I am more than willing to give all the help and pictures that I can.

Thank you,
Jim

Ok I have been wondering what I can do on my front end I really want to lighten it up my understanding is we have a 32 I beam with 54 chevy spindles/brakes and stack of leaf springs. I have been looking at a complete tube front end with spindle mount disk brakes and all but $2500 is way too much right now. I would like to go to a mono spring for lighter weight and better ride also.

How did you use the '54 spindles with '74 nova brakes? Do you take the backing plates off and have to get a caliper braket for it? Do I just measure the I beam and buy a tube front replacement those are cheap $250 on up iirc.

Thanks I hate the 4 wheel drum brakes right now.

The parts that I originally bought for the '37 were purchased about 23 years ago and I can't remember the company. But all it consisted of basically was an adapter to mount the bearings for the '74 caliper set up to the '54 Chevy spindles. With that it was a simple bolt on swap.

Today, Speedway sellsa 4" dropped tube complete with spring, shackles hair pins and associated hardware for $439.99 (913-39010) and complete brake kit with spindles and all hardware for $499.99 (913-3901). That would make a complete front assembly for a total of $939.98 which is pretty hard to beat for a completely NEW front end.

Jim

T buckeye .. a front end like that is great in that it gives a nostalgic feel to the car. There are a lot of factor to take into account before going with it however. Clearences are very tight and need to be addressed throughout the designing of it. You need to think about the typr of radiator shell you want to run. In an A ot T shell, the radiator is flush with the shell. If you want the 'skirt' at the bottom of the shell then the bat wings as shown in Dons pic aren't going to give you enough room between the axle and the crossmember. In the '32 shell shown, the radiator sits back far enough to allow the front of it to be in front of the axle.

If your looking to use this set up with the '32 shell, you will need a set f bat wings with the spring pivot in them. Check with RPM. I believe he's making them now.

The A cross member will work cut down to fit your rails. If you have 2x3 tubing you probaly won't have to trim it. If you have 1 1/2 x 3 tubing, you will need to trim 1/2 off each end. Use the outside of the rail to act as a cap for the crossmember. You need that to keep the crossmember from cracking at the spring center bolt hole. don't relieve the side rails til you know if the spring needs more clearence.

As for the 4 bar or hairpins, Again check with Rpm. his are made from 1" tubing and are stout enough to take the stress.

Hope this is what you were looking for. If not let me know and I will only too happy to walk you through it.

ron

Well Ron, I will give you my thoughts and ask you what my best option would be. I found an oversized 27 turtle deck from Main Street Rod Co. that I wanted to use for my 23. At the same time I wanted to run 27 fenders all the way around with running boards. I really like the look of the 27 fenders and running boards(will probably have to fab the boards, since the wheelbase wil be a little longer, but no problem).
I didnt want to run the suicide front end due to this fact. I figured that was my best bet for a front end where the shell was in front. Problem is I was hoping to run Speedways deep shell.
Is there a better option for the front end that wont be exposed, also giving me the ability to run the deep t shell?

If your running full fenders then go with a spring over the axle set up. Use a Super bell axle or a 4 or 6 inche dropped tube axle. i would suggest the Super Bell like fred used though. It's a simple bolt together front end with little or no fabing of parts.

The '26-7 fenders are the best looking T fenders. I like the look of the smoother '28-9 fenders on a '26-7.

Ron

Yes sir, I concur. The dropped I-beam from Super Bell is awesome. And spring over it will be thanks for the info Ron.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back