Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T body sits to the right, how do I adjust it to ride right

Mike Caudill

My Body sits a little to the drivers side and it has a arch spring in the rear, can I loosen one side of the U Bolts and then Tighten down the passenger side? will that bring the body up on the drivers side. This is the first bucket I have owned, other then the ruff ride I like it.

Also would coil over shocks give it any better ride.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mike

My Body sits a little to the drivers side and it has a arch spring in the rear, can I loosen one side of the U Bolts and then Tighten down the passenger side? will that bring the body up on the drivers side. This is the first bucket I have owned, other then the ruff ride I like it.

Also would coil over shocks give it any better ride.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mike
Without seeing your car, it's hard to tell what is causing it. It could be something in the front end is askew also. What you mentioned is a possibility I suppose, front and rear but it depends on how they are mounted. Are the spring perches welded level with the chassis? Is there any binding in the suspension? Is something broken? I would look it over closely. Maybe some detailed pics would help...

Changing to coil-overs would allow you to fine tune the ride with different spring rates that are available and adjustable spring seats will allow you to fine tune the ride height.

Last edited:
Had a similar problem to yours in that the drivers side sat lower than the passenger side, made it look even when no one was in the car that there was weight on the drivers side. Did the measurements on the flat shop floor to the frame and it was level further inspection showed that who ever did the floor in the body did not do it level. Used a 1/4" shim along the length of the floor and the frame got it level when empty. Coil overs will definitely allow you to fine tune your ride.

Johnny has good advice. When I first started working on tbuckets I had that experience of having one radius rod adjusted so I had to pull up to get the frame end to line up and when I pulled it up and bolted it in it pulled that side down. If your problem is one side lower than the other that could be the problem.

Johnny has good advice. When I first started working on tbuckets I had that experience of having one radius rod adjusted so I had to pull up to get the frame end to line up and when I pulled it up and bolted it in it pulled that side down. If your problem is one side lower than the other that could be the problem.

I have a friend that had a similar problem and it was cause by the hairpin on the rear.

Jim

I should say it only is after I drive it then after it sits for a bit it levels out, I did find I have one "Front" driver side bent shock?

First picture shows it leaning to the drivers side..
IMAG2136_zpsw64yluqp.jpg

IMAG2141_zpsj6m9brxu.jpg

IMAG2134_zpsmzf7agjl.jpg

Can you get a lower pic of the suspension without the license plate ? The angle of the shocks look different, probably from the leaning. Did you try removing the radius rods yet as stated earlier?

It looks pretty new so probably not an issue but check to see the floor is still bonded to the body properly. If it breaks along this seam the body will sag in the back.

I should say it only is after I drive it then after it sits for a bit it levels out, I did find I have one "Front" driver side bent shock?
That sounds like a shock is sticking. I would pull the front shocks temporarily and see if the problem goes away. If not, try the rears. This assumes of course that the frame is lopsided after a drive, not just the body.

Jack

I was told today that the firs owner was over 300lbs, could re-arc'ing the rear spring help maybe?
I really appreciate all the info guy's. I will get better pictures , just working 12-16 hrs right now.
Mike

Have you measured from the floor up to the frame at a number of points? this will tell you if it is a suspension problem or not. If it is level then you have to look at the mounting of the components on the frame and adjust if needed.

What they said....also check and make sure your buggy spring hasn't slide (To one side) and that your spring bolts are tight....
To my eye it looks like something has slipped, wether a rear spring or body....
This is just me, but I usually set the cars up so that the drivers side is up just a hair....so it sits level with the driver in it with the suspension loaded. If its a Center Drive Altered, I set it up level....
Its best to start with a good, flat surface....get your long level out and check it, find some place level first before committing to the measurements. Have the ground or pavement level, then check the frame. Then check the body/floor....
Yes, a large weight on one side after awhile will sag springs. And Yes, that shock angle looks out.
We need photos with the car centered in the photo, looking from the rearend, then a couple looking up showing the rear in relation to the frame. Francis has hit on some good points also....

Running 36 style radius arms.
Hmmmm...suppose one of the arms didn't bend a tiny bit and preload the chassis?
Or along those same lines, if the bolt holes are a little sloppy on the axle brackets, perhaps the arms could slip a bit now and then resulting in the same thing.
In driving it might eventually slip back in the correct location, making the problem a bit hard to track down.

Just thinking out loud....

I'll get more pictures this weekend, the front shock is definitely not right, it has a bent stem and the shock bracket it's self is not in the right position so I need to fix that for sure.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back