Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

tall t's

here is another project that has been keeping me up at nite for awhile. how about a vw powered full fendered tall t. all weather and lite weight, good mpg, just what we need right now! it would also lend itself to a traditional t too. i know tall t's were made in the '20s and i have seen stock ones, but they have the turtle back on them. i think it lends itself to the pickup box good too. being made out of fiberglass it would need some serious reinforcing to be able to have a door to get in, at least the passenger door. here are a couple pic's i made years ago. please don't laugh at my pitiful drawings.

That would make a great car even if it had a I-4, V6 or a V8-60 in it!

There is a guy in Cleveland Tn. with a glass tall t that is not to expensive. Anybody interested I'll do some research and come up with info.

I like it. that has a neat look to it.

old round fart said:
There is a guy in Cleveland Tn. with a glass tall t that is not to expensive. Anybody interested I'll do some research and come up with info.

Are you thinking of Old Field Customs? 423-284-7578....I saw that body and it is nice.

At one time some of the hot rod magazines were featuring Volks Rod sketches of various body styles using Bug drivetrains. I think one of those was a Thom Taylor drawing of a tall T coupe using that powerplant.

If gas keeps getting any crazier we will all be looking for alternative power plants. :sad:

Don

Last year at Good guys in Atlanta, I saw a bucket with a rear powered vw motor. I looked at it for a minute as the guy drove by and thought what a great idea. With the motor in the rear, you don't have to cut and stretch the body to get some more foot room. Just remove the front firewall and glass in a longer floorboard. The hood will cover any signs of the altered body. Of course I though about using a modified 425 front wheel drive trany and a sbc in the rear.

In the late '60's, Rod & Custom did a series on a VW T. I don't recall the builder or the body manufacturer, but it had an extended fire wall, somewhere around 10" or so. I think the chassis was built by Chassis Reserch. It was a cool ride.There was a picture of it on the hook behind that T wrecker that Andy Brizo built. lol

Ron

Ron is right. At one time these were very popular, and I think as Ron said Andy Brizio of the Instant T fame was one of the people making them. I remember a picture of a guy dead lifting the front of his at one of the Street Rod Nationals.

The nice thing is that bug engines can be built to really perform, and pretty cheaply. My Son had a Cal Look bug with a 1915 cc engine that we had built by Fisher Buggies. It would pull the wheels slightly on take off. I took it to a show one day and when I was leaving a 5.0 Mustang in front of me got cute and kicked it down. I hit second and went around him. He did a U turn and gave up. :lol::lol:

It would be nice to see you put one of these together.

Don

If you decide to do something like this keep me in mind, I might be able to help. This is a car the wife and I built many years ago, it was a started project that we picked up and changed and with with what you see.

It is on a VW floor pan, motor in trunk, Ghia front end since they had disk brakes.

The radiator fill is the gas tank fill and the tank is in the front under the hand made hood......it was fun to get gas....:lol:

It is all steel body 27 Model T.......

We have since sold the car for money to do other projects, but it was a blast and dependable....

MVC-027S.jpg

MVC-020S.jpg

MVC-012S.jpg

Thats a sweet ride. :cool:

t4me, that is just what i am talking about. the only thing with a vw is, it is hard for them to carry around the large tires a v8 can and if you build it up with hp, you lose the economy of it. the father of the vw-t was Kent Fuller of dragster chassis fame. the Rod & Custom one was built by Dragmaster in San Diego for Tom Medley of Stroker Mcgurk fame. on the R & C forum, there is a guy that will copy any article from magazines, as he has over 9000 mags!! i got him to get me all the vw-t ones. i have always wanted them. i am not new to vw projects as i built about 15 vw trikes in the past and a vw-t back in '76. the problem with a vw powered anything is, most hot rodders see them as dune buggys or worse, which i have never understood. as has been said before, there is nothing new under the sun, just a re-inventing of the past. here are some pics of it.

I like the Tall T concept! I think I'll keep that one in mind after I finish the first one.:D:lol::lol: Looking forward to the next one already.

I had a 68 Pontiac Lemans, same body style as the GTO, just no hood tach...etc. Tried catch a v-dub and never could. Don't know what was in it, it hauled the mail!

PaulR

I've been kicking around a T coupe for my next big project, too. They look good and you hardly ever see one. Also, I can fab the chassis.:D

The company that built my roadster body is building a 27 T coupe body now, both chopped and tall. I haven't had a chance to see one up close, though. The CD that they sent me looked really good. Sure would be nice to have AC in the summer.

Mike

flatheadgary said:
the problem with a vw powered anything is, most hot rodders see them as dune buggys or worse, which i have never understood. as has been said before, there is nothing new under the sun, just a re-inventing of the past. here are some pics of it.

OK I will come out of the closet......:eek: I am still into VW's and have been since I was 16, I currently have a glass buggy that is street legal but setup for off road that we take camping and such and run the woods with.

I could not agree with your above statement more, every street rod event we took the Tall T to you had a few guys that LOVED it, but the majority would not give it the time of day. It would pi** me off to no end.

Here is something else to think about, I just built a stroker motor for our buggy, with all the parts machine work, duel Webers etc...turn key I am in it over 5k bucks, on the other hand, I just got a friend of mine a killer sbc complete with serpintine(sp) belt system and complete from carb to pan, turn key, it was used but very low miles for $1500.00.

My point is, the original purchase price of a buggy, bug, T-bucket style body kit is much lower then buying into the Hot Rod world, but the buildup for performance and maintenance costs for VW parts are much higher then for lets say Chevy running gear.

By the way Flatheadgary,,,,,I happen to love that T-Bucket kit that you are showing there, one popped out of the shadows here last summer and I didn't hear about it, a guy that owns a street rod shop bought it and put wide whites on it and drives it all over the place, I sure would like to have got it...:D

This is not exacly the same as the bucket is not as defined, but this is the first one the wife and I did some years ago.......

Sorry for the quality of pics, these are scanned in we did't have digital camera then...:eek:

scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back