Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

tall t's

T4ME said:
...every street rod event we took the Tall T to you had a few guys that LOVED it, but the majority would not give it the time of day. It would pi** me off to no end...

A guy over on the NTBA site T-odd is doing some cool stuff with VW's too. Anyway, I don't care what you've got... there will always be people who will not give you the time of day... so don't let it get to you! It's there hangup, not yours!

I've gotten so many comments like, "great starter car, when you going to get a real on..." or "if it ain't steel it ain't real". "not a real roadster like the 32..." on and on and on... It's just easier to smile and move on... course... did get a little payback when at the show where the guy said, "not a real roadster like the 32...", I got the best roadster trophy... :D

Different strokes for different folks. A few years back, I was involved in a bucket build that was powered with a Datsun I-4. He get the cold shoulder to. When it hit the street, there were a lot of wide eyed people standing with their hands in their pockets. He built the engine using factory go goodies. That little car flat hauled! Thinking outside the box isn't a bad idea in my book.

Ron

Hey LumenAl,

You forgot one...."Yea, that is the cheapest way to get into Hot Rodding"..:eek:

I like this one to as they walk by and say...."yea, you can build one in a weekend".....:eek:

OK, I am off topic.....Darn it, you guy's cause me to do bad things.....:rofl:

Wow, I'm shocked at the comments you guys have heard... I dont think theres enough real steel henry bodies left to go around for everybody is there?...Some people think fiberglass rods are not real or that they are uncool....Big Daddy Roth would have disagreed.... ok now I feel better...

One I have heard is " Oh look, it's a tupperware car ", my comment is most times is to ignore them. But, if they keep it up I tell them to go get there car and let me see it. Most times they haven't got one.

I dont get what peoples beef is with fiberglass cars. Where do ya'll think the hostility comes from?

This is a debate that has been going on since Almquist, Bird and Roadster Engineering put 'glass bodies on the market in the '60's. It's like arguing religion and politics, everyone has their own slant on the question.

Ron

jrn said:
... Where do ya'll think the hostility comes from?

I personally think it stems back to grade school... you might remember those kids that would always say stuff like...

"My dad can beat up your dad"

"My house is bigger than your house"

"We have a newer car than you guys"

Anyway, you can remember those guys... now that they are all grown up they say stuff like...

"Oh look, it's a tupperware car "

"great starter car, when you going to get a real one.."

"if it ain't steel it ain't real"

So just more evidence that their lives are just as pathetic today as it was when they were seven... sad really... then you realize they're just the common clay of the New West. You know - morons. ... :rofl:

Blazing Saddles (1974)

Fiberglass T's have been around so long that they can be considered traditional now. IMHO :cool:

man, i love all the comments!! for me, i like fiberglass because i don't have to go looking for a body. all i have to do is get a can of 'glass and cloth and build up one in my molds. there is just something about building your own body. also, no oil canning when you try to straighten out the bent metal. to each there own though. as far as the vw-t thing goes, mine would run every day for about 2 weeks on 11 gallions of gas. boy i need to build another one right now!! i have a t body with a 36" pickup box in the back yard i built awhile ago and am going to build a rear engine vw powered altered drag t car when i get around to it.

OK, I know we have digressed.......:rofl:......but I have to admit I read the Tupperware thing for the first time on another forum the other night, I think I need to run out to the shop and see if the T is somewhat flexible, unbreakable and has an air tight lid.....or am I just not getting it...HHMMM :lol::D:D

T4ME said:
...but I have to admit I read the Tupperware thing for the first time on another forum the other night...

Or if they were to say that to me, I might respond... really, well I got your fresh ____________ (what ever you may keep in Tupperware like meat) right here! :rofl:

Did I say that out loud???

Duke said:
One I have heard is " Oh look, it's a tupperware car ", my comment is most times is to ignore them. But, if they keep it up I tell them to go get there car and let me see it. Most times they haven't got one.

Exactly! I was showing pics of my build to a guy at the auto parts store and a ricer kid commented that anyone could build one. So I told him to see which one in the parking lot looks like mine. Then I asked him how many he saw on the drive over? Then I TOLD him to go get his! End of conversation.

tfeverfred said:
Exactly! I was showing pics of my build to a guy at the auto parts store and a ricer kid commented that anyone could build one. So I told him to see which one in the parking lot looks like mine. Then I asked him how many he saw on the drive over? Then I TOLD him to go get his! End of conversation.

You rock!

:rofl:

Times like that would make me think about the guy you told us about in the 'vette. For everyone who has the the aditude these two voiced, there are many more that will praise you. It stikes me funny that a ricer would say something like that. Talk about cookie cutter cars.

Ron

Just found the site, really nice and informative. I own one of those Kent Fuller kits sold by Speedway Motors in the early 70's. I am trying to sell it, but am also kicking around the idea of changing it up a bit but there were only 20 or so made,kinda rare.

dubshack1, that is a sweet t. are the headers real, isn't it a vw powered car? in the picture of my brown t, you can see my pipes. i built the exhaust to go from the back, under the car, and out in front, then down the side, they looked like side pipes, as you can see. it made a strange whistling sound, so i changed them to go out the back again. man! i loved that car! why do we always sell the things we know we will miss?

flatheadgary said:
here is another project that has been keeping me up at nite for awhile. how about a vw powered full fendered tall t. all weather and lite weight, good mpg, just what we need right now! it would also lend itself to a traditional t too. i know tall t's were made in the '20s and i have seen stock ones, but they have the turtle back on them. i think it lends itself to the pickup box good too. being made out of fiberglass it would need some serious reinforcing to be able to have a door to get in, at least the passenger door. here are a couple pic's i made years ago. please don't laugh at my pitiful drawings.

How about someone photo shopping this based on a 27T bucket lower half?this looks like an excellent "Winter top" for my T.I'm already running a 3 foot bed

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back