Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

TEXAS - Pro-Hobbyist Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill

GT63

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro-Hobbyist Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill to be Considered by House Transportation Committee on Tues., May 5th

SEMA model legislation (H.B. 2412) that would create a vehicle registration classification for street rods and custom vehicles and provide for special license plates for these vehicles will be considered by the full Texas House Transportation Committee on Tues., May 5, 2009. Introduced by State Representative Charlie Howard (charlie.howard@house.state.tx.us), H.B. 2412 defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948.

We Urge You to Contact All Members of the House Transportation Committee (List Attached Below) Immediately to Request Their Support for H.B. 2412

H.B. 2412 provides specific registration/titling classes and license plates for street rods and customs, including replicas. Street rods are of a pre-1949 vintage; customs are of the post-1949 era.

H.B. 2412 allows for the use of non-original materials and creates a titling and registration criterion that assigns these vehicles the same model year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble.

H.B. 2412 only holds street rods, customs and replicas to the equipment standards specified by law during the model year listed on the title of the vehicle.

H.B. 2412 recognizes the immeasurable amount of time, money and attention automotive enthusiasts invest in their hobby cars. Street rods, customs and replicas are the same crowd pleasers that participate in exhibitions and as parade vehicles, and whose owners regularly contribute to charities and civic events. This legislation represents an opportunity to acknowledge this family hobby and to protect it for future generations.
DONT DELAY! Please contact members of the House Transportation Committee to urge support for H.B. 2412.

Texas House Transportation Committee

Representative Joseph Pickett Chair
Phone: 512/463-0596
Fax: 512/463-6504
Webform: Texas House of Representatives

Representative Larry Phillips
Phone: 512/463-0297
Fax: 512/463-1561

Representative Bill Callegari
Phone: 512/463-0528
Fax: 512/463-7820

Representative Yvonne Davis
Phone: 512/463-0598
Fax: 512/463-2297

Representative Jim Dunnam
Phone: 512/463-0508
Fax: 512/463-5934

Representative Ryan Guillen
Phone: 512/463-0416
Fax: 512/463-1012

Representative Linda Harper-Brown
Phone: 512/463-0641
Fax: 512/463-0044

Representative Ruth Jones McClendon
Phone: 512/463-0708
Fax: 512/463-7071

Representative Tommy Merritt
Phone: 512/463-0750
Fax: 512/463-9085

Representative Todd Smith
Phone: 512/463-0522
Fax: 512/463-9529

Representative Wayne Smith
Phone: 512/463-0733
Fax: 512/463-1323

We already have Classic plates (older than 25 years) and Antique plates (older than 1949). Whats the diff?

I'll keep my Antique plates ($40 for pre 1921, $50 for 22-49, good for 5 years and no inspection required.) There is a stipulation that it is to be driven during car club functions and car shows. Seems to me everytime I drive it I am "going to a club function". Been driving it for over 15 years and have NEVER been stopped.... noise, tires, inspection, license plate, you name it. They just drive by and wave. Course I ain't no 18 year old punk kid either. But I do like to play with them and their Mustangs, Camaros, riceburners, etc.....

Around here they bust the chops on people in old cars with the antique plates.
I just hope they dont put that kind of language in the streetrod bill

Called all the folks on the list today and as I understand it was passed out of committee with broad support. Still has to be voted on. My take is that it will streamline titiling and licensing in Texas. If someone builds a car in 2009 it can be licensed as the year it most resembles (23, 35,etc) not a 2009. It can pass state inspection by having the safety equipment required for that year model, not 2009. The antique plate and licensing structure will still be in place I believe. This will be a new license class for built and kit cars the way I read it. We'll just have to see when the dust settles.

First post, so be gentle with me.

WDP is correct. Under current TX law, a "replica" car completed/titled in any given year, 2009/t-bucket for example, will be titled as a 2009 ford. Similarly, the only way to title one (in TX) as its correct year model would be to have a transferable title reflecting such, although if looked at closely the DMV would frown on this. This law has the potential to help those of us starting from scratch to end up with a car and title that "match." I hope this helps.

BTW, thanks for all of the helpful knowledge that is being shared on these discussion boards.

Awesome!!! This will make defintely make titling a streamlining ordeal! I bet Texas-T wishes it was already in effect as he prolly wouldnt be pulling his hair out about now.

After reading the bill again I had some reservations about it and called Rep. Charlie Howard who is the author of the bill.
As Blownt said a lot of guys run Antique plates and do not have any problem. The law on them states you can only drive in parades, exibitions, club activities and to and from a repair facility. In other words not just daily driving. Most guys drive anywhere they want to with no problems. Some people have had their chops busted though depending on how it is enforced in a particular jurisdiction.
HB2412 would still limit a car licensed as a "Street Rod" or " Custom Vehicle" to these restrictions. In my case my T is licensed as a 23 but I run regular passenger car plates and get an annual inspection so I can drive anytime anywhere. Everywhere I go is a parade and every gas stop seems like a club meeting because it takes about 30 minutes to answer everyones questions!
You can read up on this deal at: Texas Legislature Online - Bill Lookup
Enter HB2412 in the lookup window.

It will make licensing a kit or built car easier but still has the "parade" language in there.

Anyway, Texas guys take a look at it and let your state rep and congressman know what your thoughts are.

DP

It's what I've been saying all along when this topic first came up. Someone cried that they wanted to have their car registered as the year is represented and SEMA took up the cause and sold us out with their language in the SEMA model. As far as I can tell Iowa didn't follow the SEMA model to the letter. If I read it right here the car can carry a vintage tag and registration but the current (regular) tag must be carried in the vehicle. (When I was stationed in Oklahoma I applied for and received a special "Military" license plate. I had to carry the original license plate and registration issued when I first registered the car in the vehicle. I think this is what's meant in Iowa's law.) It sounds at first reading that nothing here has changed from when I registered my first T in 1999. It appears that the inspection and registration process is the same as before but they have added a provision for us to register the vehicle as the year it represents and display a vintage tag. The way the bill reads is very ambiguous. It has been signed into law and takes effect in July so I'm going to take it slow and see how it all comes out. If it turns out that I will be limited to building a parade vehicle then I will put my money and efforts elsewhere and say sayanora to the street rod life.

As I mentioned before, around here antique plates are an invitation for a discussion with the local constabulary of just where you are going and why. I would prefer all the registration hassle to a parade car.

Well I have had Antique Vehicle plates for 10 years and I've never been stopped (knock on wood). Even when I had the loud zoomies on it they never bothered me. My brother-in-law is a cop in Euless Texas and he told me most of them won't even care, unless you're acting careless. He also told me that Antiques plates aren't listed in the DB they use to look up registration info with their laptops. Every time I'm out in the T, I'm either in a parade (of onlookers), going to a car show where ever I stop, or taking a test drive from the shop (my garage). :)

I don't get it? If the Street Rod or Custom plate has the same restrictions as an Antique plate why bother? Do I want it to say Street Rod or Antique? Like I give a flip.

I'm perfectly happy with my Antique plates. Ain't NEVER been stopped, good for 5 years, no inspection sticker required and all for $40 (pre 1922).

Yeah the driving restriction language does kind of suck. I think the benefit of this bill is that it states you can title a car as the year it most resembles not the year the build is completed. As it is now, it seems like it varys by county and this will provide a standard procedure for these type vehicles across the state.
If you build a new kit car or a ground up build this will at least provide a way to get it titled and licensed.

TexasT you have a PM from me.

WDP

Well, whatever they do, I am going to drive mine.Thats what we built it for. If I have to explain to the rookie cops what it is, then I'll explain.The older cops here don't want the hassle. Besides, the only thing the police look for around here are windows tinted too dark, and people not wearing seat belts.

Here is the reply I got back when I ask what the status of HB2412 was since there has been no activity for 45 days ... does look good!

From: Deidra Voigt [mailto:Deidra.Voigt@house.state.tx.us] On Behalf Of District26 Howard
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:21 PM
Subject: RE: HB 2412

Thank you for contacting Representative Howard regarding HB2412, relating to the registration and compulsory inspection of certain street rods and custom vehicles. It was placed on the General State Calendar and that is where it remained due to the log-jam of legislation that was brought on by the parliamentary tactic that some members used, referred to as "chubbing".

Representative Howard attempted to amend the language to other germane legislation in the senate, however there was not the needed support in the senate to do so in the last days of the session. As directed by the Texas Constitution and state law, the Texas Legislature convenes for their regular legislative session at noon on the second Tuesday during odd numbered years for 140 days. They adjourned June 1, 2009.

Again, thank you for contacting Representative Howard. He should be filing the same proposal for the January 2011 session.

Best regards,

Deidra D. Voigt
Administrative Assistant
Office of Rep. Charlie Howard
House District 26, Sugar Land
Texas State Capitol, Room 4S.4
512.5463.0711 fax
deidra.voigt@house.state.tx.us

Should have said "Doesn't Look Good"

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back