Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

TH350 or Powerglide?

I don't really agree that it would be quicker with a 'glide, I think that little 283 would make use of the lower first gear to get it moving. Glides work well in light, high HP cars eg: big block Altereds and dragsters.

I don't really agree that it would be quicker with a 'glide, I think that little 283 would make use of the lower first gear to get it moving. Glides work well in light, high HP cars eg: big block Altereds and dragsters.
Glides take a lot less HP to run them. That is why they are so popular in drag cars. It is also amazing how much HP they can stand.

I forgot to tell you all. I dumped the 283 for a built 350. It is pushing between 425-450 HP. Here are some of the specs on the engine:

CHEVY 350 4-bolt main ZDDP added to oil
TRW .040 over 4 valve relief forged pistons #l2256.040
New rings / high volume oil pump
1pc hardened pushrods / double roller timing chain
Right hand dipstick 1981-85 block casting #14010207
.010 / .010 ground crank / new rod / cam and main bearings
Competition Extreme Energy Cam .462 / .469 lift
Comp cam lifters
New high volume aluminum water pump
New chrome bar milled valve covers and oil pan
Rebuilt edelbrock 1406 carb with new air gap intake
2pc chrome timing chain cover
Corvette double hump heads
Date matched 3782461 / A -15 - 5 & L - 8 - 5
New viton seals / springs / locks
New GM valves with 30 degree back cut on intake & exhaust valves / 3 angle valve job
Crane 1.5 roller rockers / ARP locks
Original untouched heads / NO porting on the intake or exhaust ports.

You tube video 2011 05250001.av1

This setup with the PG and it should scream. I will be picking it up tomorrow.

Looks like a good engine. 2 things you may have trouble with. The 2 pc chrome timing covers, most of them leak oil. The 1965 double hump heads do not have bolt holes in the end to mount the alternator if it has a long pump and pulleys.

Timing cover is the first piece to go and i will be mounting the alternator directly off the lower drivers side of the block. I have to build an adjustment bracket for it but it will work great there and be down inside the frame. Dad did his that way and worked out very nice. :good:

Looks like a good engine. 2 things you may have trouble with. The 2 pc chrome timing covers, most of them leak oil. The 1965 double hump heads do not have bolt holes in the end to mount the alternator if it has a long pump and pulleys.

Yeah, never had any luck with the chrome timing covers or the chrome water necks= pita

What is a Altered but a really hopped up T with all the NHRA inspec's done and a tube chassis. A T is a Econo-Altered, basically.
A situation with 2 identical T's running on the track:
1. Both cars launch hard, reving, the turbo 350 shifts into 2nd gear, while the PG winds 1st gear on out, goes into high gear.
2. While that TH-350 is winding out in 2nd gear getting ready to hit on 3rd, the pg is winding out going thru the traps.

A turbo 350 has that 2nd gear to get all that weight moving, keeping the engine rpms up, but with a light car, it isn't needed. if your prefer it, be all means. I prefer to win races....

What is a Altered but a really hopped up T with all the NHRA inspec's done and a tube chassis. A T is a Econo-Altered, basically.
A situation with 2 identical T's running on the track:
1. Both cars launch hard, reving, the turbo 350 shifts into 2nd gear, while the PG winds 1st gear on out, goes into high gear.
2. While that TH-350 is winding out in 2nd gear getting ready to hit on 3rd, the pg is winding out going thru the traps.

A turbo 350 has that 2nd gear to get all that weight moving, keeping the engine rpms up, but with a light car, it isn't needed. if your prefer it, be all means. I prefer to win races....

Thanks, I am hoping with the light weight of this bucket it will get up and move on pretty quickly.

Glides take a lot less HP to run them. That is why they are so popular in drag cars. It is also amazing how much HP they can stand.

Yea Ron, I remember back in the late 60's and early 70's, you couldn't give a powerglide away! Nobody wanted them because nobody could get them to hold together. Once they got those bugs worked out though, holy crap! Hahaha.....

Screaming Metal, I removed those two posts with all the foreign BBCode in them.

Try running the content through a standard text editor (Notepad, etc.), to see if that doesn't clear it up. And if the material is coming from another Web site, please be sure you have proper permission from the author to copy the material over to here. A link back to the originating site would also be a good thing.

Screaming Metal, I removed those two posts with all the foreign BBCode in them.

Try running the content through a standard text editor (Notepad, etc.), to see if that doesn't clear it up. And if the material is coming from another Web site, please be sure you have proper permission from the author to copy the material over to here. A link back to the originating site would also be a good thing.

Roger on that Mike, I'm running some anomalizing software on this thing, sometimes folks think I'm from overseas.....I'll just post a link next time.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back