Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The Bucket List

Nice looking progress.

Jim

I'm a bit worried that your spring hangers will hit your beam once there is an engine and trans in the chassis. Just curious!

I REALLY like your front radius rods. Did you make them?

Gerry,
I think I will be ok on the hangars, however the last time I had the engine and trany in the spring was all seized up so will check.

Fred,
I didn't personally make them, I think it was my Dad.

Powerglide back from the shop.
Full manual.
Now almost all the big expensive bits are done .. Rubber and rims is the last of them.

20170814_185910.jpg

Was going to polish the bell housing but decided it would blend better painted the same as the engine.

Powerglide back from the shop.
Full manual.
Now almost all the big expensive bits are done .. Rubber and rims is the last of them.

View attachment 13838

Was going to polish the bell housing but decided it would blend better painted the same as the engine.
Wise choice, Fred. IMHO

EX JUNK
"Wise choice, Fred. IMHO"
Its Jeff, no worries .. allot of Freds around.
Sorry, that reply was supposed to be on Fred's post about painting his trans. Somehow I screwed up and it got posted on yours.

Jim

I got the cam, timing chain, and harmonic balancer on, bottom end all buttoned up.

20170819_184458.jpg

Now I was just about to put the heads on and thought I better chase the spark plug holes and get some of the paint and crap out of the threads before I bolt them home and found one of the spark plug holes is over sized.
Does any one know what plug might fit this SBC head oversized hole? Is this a common practice thing with a damaged plug hole ?

I got the cam, timing chain, and harmonic balancer on, bottom end all buttoned up.

View attachment 13845

Now I was just about to put the heads on and thought I better chase the spark plug holes and get some of the paint and crap out of the threads before I bolt them home and found one of the spark plug holes is over sized.
Does any one know what plug might fit this SBC head oversized hole? Is this a common practice thing with a damaged plug hole ?
Maybe someone installed a thread repair insert and it came out? That's how I would repair it if it's not too large.

heli-coil , thread-sert,there's numerous ways to repair , if you don't have the equipment , best tske it to the machine shop....

Took the head to the machine shop and they fixed it up. looks like it had previously had a thread repair (heli-ciol) that came out with the last plug.
So heads on.

20170823_163511.jpg 20170823_163537.jpg 20170823_163553.jpg

Ok so now for the guess work.

Here is the specs lets see who comes closest before I get it on the dyno, everyone please post a guess at HP an Torque.
It is a 327 small block Chev, 60 thow over.
Had the deck done down to 15 thow.
Installed the Cometic 27 thow gaskets.
Has the 1960's 461 Corvette fuelie heads with 1.94 and 1.50 stock valves, I cc'd these heads at 64 cc.
Has the roller rocker setup with the stud girdle.
Has 2X4 600 vacuum secondary Holley carbs.
The big dual high rise intake.
And basically the straight headers, they have the 3.5" cherry bombs on them.
One not .. I ended up removing the windage tray due to a dipstick clearance issue.
And here is the cam card, its a solid lifter.

20170823_201112.jpg

For a hint the stock 327 Corvette power ranged from 210 hp to 375 hp depending on the choice of carburetor or fuel injection, camshaft, cylinder heads, pistons and intake manifold. In 1962, the Duntov solid lifter cam versions produced 340 hp (250 kW), 344 lb·ft (466 N·m) with single Carter 4-barrel, and 360 hp, 352 lb·ft (477 N·m) with Rochester FI. In 1964, horsepower increased to 365 hp (272 kW) for the now dubbed L-76 version, and 375 hp for the fuel injected L-84 respectively, making the L-84 the most powerful naturally aspirated, single-cam, production small block V8 until the appearance of the 385 hp (287 kW), 385 lb·ft (522 N·m) Generation III LS6 in 2001.
Note some of that is copy and paste from Wikipedia.
Also note in the 60's General Motors horsepower and torque numbers were notoriously under rated for insurance reasons.

My guess with the open exhaust, bigger cam, and huge intake its a bit more but I won't say a number until I get a dyno sheet, I would rather hear what you guys think.

Last edited:
Took the head to the machine shop and they fixed it up. looks like it had previously had a thread repair (heli-ciol) that came out with the last plug.
So heads on.

View attachment 13868 View attachment 13869 View attachment 13870

Ok so now for the guess work.

Here is the specs lets see who comes closest before I get it on the dyno, everyone please post a guess at HP an Torque.
It is a 327 small block Chev, 60 thow over.
Had the deck done down to 15 thow.
Installed the Cometic 27 thow gaskets.
Has the 1960's 461 Corvette fuelie heads with 1.94 and 1.50 stock valves, I cc'd these heads at 64 cc.
Has the roller rocker setup with the stud girdle.
Has 2X4 600 vacuum secondary Holley carbs.
The big dual high rise intake.
And basically the straight headers, they have the 3.5" cherry bombs on them.
One not .. I ended up removing the windage tray due to a dipstick clearance issue.
And here is the cam card, its a solid lifter.

View attachment 13871

For a hint the stock 327 Corvette power ranged from 210 hp to 375 hp depending on the choice of carburetor or fuel injection, camshaft, cylinder heads, pistons and intake manifold. In 1962, the Duntov solid lifter cam versions produced 340 hp (250 kW), 344 lb·ft (466 N·m) with single Carter 4-barrel, and 360 hp, 352 lb·ft (477 N·m) with Rochester FI. In 1964, horsepower increased to 365 hp (272 kW) for the now dubbed L-76 version, and 375 hp for the fuel injected L-84 respectively, making the L-84 the most powerful naturally aspirated, single-cam, production small block V8 until the appearance of the 385 hp (287 kW), 385 lb·ft (522 N·m) Generation III LS6 in 2001.
Note some of that is copy and paste from Wikipedia.
Also note in the 60's General Motors horsepower and torque numbers were notoriously under rated for insurance reasons.

My guess with the open exhaust, bigger cam, and huge intake its a bit more but I won't say a number until I get a dyno sheet, I would rather hear what you guys think.
A LOT will depend on the fuel. It will be a sweet running motor, but they had octane and actual gasoline back in the day. I love the 327. It's a good thing that you caught that plug issue before installing the head!

Fletch -- "It's a good thing that you caught that plug issue before installing the head"
Damn straight .. those head gaskets are more expensive than a head job. loll

The moral issue too! I've overlooked simple things before and had to tear down a fresh build and it's quite humbling, lol... I will be interested to hear what your actual numbers are on that beast. I have a '66 327 put back for a future project. Great engines.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back