Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The excitement is building

AN is what we use in aviation they are made to a better standard well so it says , I must have missed something why dose a new tank need a sealer ?

Even new steel fuel tanks could have a pin hole or 2h in the weld. Also some may develope surface rust inside before useing. Two of my tanks are aluminum, one is steel. I always test them before putting fuel in for the first time. If one has been filled with gas, and then you find a leak, you circulate Argon in them while welding the leaking area. Much easier to test first.

Darlene, why did you choose the TIG you bought? Did it get good reviews? I'm thinking of putting one on my wish list.

The Alpha TIG 200X has been getting great reviews for several years now, it's all over YouTube for reviews and discussion.

They have a big Facebook group too.

Seems to generally be considered to be as good as anything at twice the price or even a bit more.

If I recall correctly, it's been thru about 4 revisions with each better than the one before and with new/expanded features that users requested most.

The most recent revision, V4, of the 200X was 2016, with a slightly newer, but still basically version 4, coming out late last year as the 201XD.

My friend Warren, who's been a TIG welder all his life bought a 201XD when he retired after he saw my first 200X, and he's been peachy keen on it since, which is why I went for the new one myself after the initial issue with the 200X and the hurricanes.

If you do decide to get one . . . . and you will . . . . spend the extra $$ and get the SSC foot pedal as well. The one that comes with it functions OK, but just isn't ergonomic at all and it's uncomfortable to use.

Amazon has the 2018 model in stock at $720 and the SSC foot pedal in stock for $159

It's the best bang for the buck out there . . .

A bit of detail, the 201XD supposedly no longer has the flip-up plastic cover over the controls, but the 2018 model 200X I got from Amazon in May has the 201XD side covers and the original 200X plastic flip-up cover over the controls

Last edited:
I did not figure in the AN fittings when I started building my T. Ouch $$$ The cost adds up quickly. Enjoy watching your build keep the pictures coming.

I learned all about -AN fittings (and where the name came from) when I built the last BBC . . . I could have bought a decent 350 crate motor for what I spent in -AN line and fittings.

MVC-595X.JPG

The Alpha TIG 200X has been getting great reviews for several years now, it's all over YouTube for reviews and discussion.

They have a big Facebook group too.

Seems to generally be considered to be as good as anything at twice the price or even a bit more.

If I recall correctly, it's been thru about 4 revisions with each better than the one before and with new/expanded features that users requested most.

The most recent revision, V4, of the 200X was 2016, with a slightly newer, but still basically version 4, coming out late last year as the 201XD.

My friend Warren, who's been a TIG welder all his life bought a 201XD when he retired after he saw my first 200X, and he's been peachy keen on it since, which is why I went for the new one myself after the initial issue with the 200X and the hurricanes.

If you do decide to get one . . . . and you will . . . . spend the extra $$ and get the SSC foot pedal as well. The one that comes with it functions OK, but just isn't ergonomic at all and it's uncomfortable to use.

Amazon has the 2018 model in stock at $720 and the SSC foot pedal in stock for $159

It's the best bang for the buck out there . . .

A bit of detail, the 201XD supposedly no longer has the flip-up plastic cover over the controls, but the 2018 model 200X I got from Amazon in May has the 201XD side covers and the original 200X plastic flip-up cover over the controls
Thanks for the info. Keep posting pictures. A lot of us are enjoying your build.

At Long Last . . . . . :D

A big shout out to Josh and the Spirit team

I picked up a crate today at the Ocean Freight place . . . . . it was 35 cubic feet and 326 pounds . . . . . from Spirit Cars

It had to be a hundred pounds of packing material, (old newspapers mostly) and a hundred pounds of crate . . .

Josh and the gang crated the new rear and grill shell like it was gonna be dropped by parachute . . . I mean it took forever taking out old newspaper and then finally all the trash and trimmings from the upholstery shop, just to get to the parts wrapped in layers of bubble wrap and plastic.

It was like 6 big garbage bags of newspaper and foam rubber bits I filled up before I got to the new rear, in more layers of bubble wrap and plastic wrap, at the bottom of the crate .. . . I was impressed with the overkill.

Lucky me, I have to work thru the holiday and the weekend, so it'll be another little while until I can install it, but I'm just 1 weekend's work away from having my little baby roll on its own wheels!

New Rear 1r.jpg

New Rear 2r.jpg

New Grill Shell 1r.jpg

Now that's upload_2019-7-4_8-31-43.jpeg

My Summit order came in with all the fittings to run the fuel line and some other items, so I now have a couple additional -AN ports on the tank for a return and/or vent.

My tank sealer kit should be in this week, so I have at least 1 task for next weekend already. . . . and if my next carport tent is here, maybe get that up too if I can find some helpers . . .

Vent Ports 1r.jpg

Vent Ports 2r.jpg

Been a couple weeks since I last updated . . . .

Been putting in long days and long weeks on my day job, so didn't do much last weekend, but I did get to do the whole tank sealer process on my fuel tank this weekend.

Spent pretty much all day yesterday doing the "aqua clean" and then the "rust blast" to get the metal all prepped for the actual "coating".

Today I did the coating part, and it looks like it's supposed to, all nice and shiny silver inside.

I'll let it cure until next weekend and then I can put the filler, sender and -AN fittings back in and it will be ready to reinstall.

Sealed cr1.jpg

Saturday Update . . .

In spite of having to go out this morning to put a pair of new tires on the back of the green Mustang, I did get a little done . . .

I put the center section into the new housing and put the longer ARP wheel studs in the axles.

That little trick of using the ladder as an A-frame and hanging a come-along made getting the center section located and lowered right into place easy enough for me alone to manage.

I did get a little help to get the assemble rear down off the porch and under the rear of the chassis.

I'll try to get it installed back into the car tomorrow and then finally . . . . it'll be able to roll on its own wheels again :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

New Rear 1r.jpg

Axles 1r.jpg

Do you have a press or did you devise another way of getting it done???

I do have a press, but this rear uses axles that use full threaded wheel studs; 1/2 - 20 RH, 5 on 4.750

I wanted to be able to see the wheel studs extending out past the top of the lug nuts. . . . . probably a good idea at this HP level

At Long Last . . . . . :D

A big shout out to Josh and the Spirit team

I picked up a crate today at the Ocean Freight place . . . . . it was 35 cubic feet and 326 pounds . . . . . from Spirit Cars

It had to be a hundred pounds of packing material, (old newspapers mostly) and a hundred pounds of crate . . .

Josh and the gang crated the new rear and grill shell like it was gonna be dropped by parachute . . . I mean it took forever taking out old newspaper and then finally all the trash and trimmings from the upholstery shop, just to get to the parts wrapped in layers of bubble wrap and plastic.

It was like 6 big garbage bags of newspaper and foam rubber bits I filled up before I got to the new rear, in more layers of bubble wrap and plastic wrap, at the bottom of the crate .. . . I was impressed with the overkill.

Lucky me, I have to work thru the holiday and the weekend, so it'll be another little while until I can install it, but I'm just 1 weekend's work away from having my little baby roll on its own wheels!

Looks like the boys in Flippin sent you a new aftermarket housing. No wrecking yard stuff here. True round tube and a new center banjo stamping. Gets no better then that! If others are thinking about useing a 9" housing in their next car it is well worth the money to do the same. OEM pull outs are not round at various places making bracket fitups difficult at time. Plus they arrive clean!
George

My sentiments exactly !!!

About 4 months behind but back on track . . . . I'll settle for that as a win these days

I put a pot of coffee on and got tools ready to go . . . . should be some pics up in a while

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back