Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The excitement is building

Inside. I poured it in (1 pint can) and shook the tank around until every surface was covered and then poured out what remained. It worked well for me. .

I looked on Summit, and they have POR, KBS, and their own, Summit brand, in different sized kits, although the POR is only the sealer, doesn't come in a kit with prep and cleaner.

I imagine that the chemicals are the same regardless of brand, just some kits have more of something than another brand's kit.

Figured it'd be a choice between these two, either one should leave me with some to spare:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-900056-3

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/kco-53000

The KBS kit has 2 qts of cleaner while the Summit kit has 1qt, so the extra $ seems justified.

Think it's worth just getting one of the kits?

Looks like POR-15 does have a kit:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/poi-49239/overview/?rrec=true

More choices to ponder . . . .

Last edited:

6 of one and half a dozen of the other!

Pretty much so it seems . . . .

I went with the KBS kit, as it had the most reviews and almost all were 5 star.

Of course it had to go ground to Miami for $10 so it can come here on a boat for probably at least another $10 + or so . . . .

Just another of the joys of living in paradise . . . :roflmao:

So while I wait for my gas tank sealer kit to arrive . . . .

I figured it was a good time to install the sender assembly for the gas gage, which all came with my kit.

My tank is 24" X 14" and 10" deep, which comes out to just over 14 usable gallons.

Inspecting the inside with a bright light, it was plain bare steel with no hint of corrosion, and very clean as far as debris from the filler install.

My one disappointment is that there is only a single 3/8 NPT connection, and it's on the bottom . . . would have liked a dual port module on top, but the fill cap handles the venting.
Sooooo, . . .Unless I add some top ports, I don't have the option of a recirculating fuel system if I want to go there down the road.

Anyway, I ran a tap in the 3/8 NPT port so it's nice and clean and of proper depth.

The directions for the sender module install were pretty good, it's a straight forward process, but it gives you a chart for how long to cut the rail and how long to cut the float arm based on the tank depth in half inch increments, which made that part a cakewalk.

With the float movement accurately swinging from just above the bottom to right at the top, I positioned the assembly about half way from front to back of the tank, and with the float just a bit left of center, and drilled the hole that it all mounts thru. I picked that location with the hope that the float would see the least variation in level as the fuel sloshes around.

With things looking good, I drilled for the self tapping mounting screws and buttoned it up. Since it has to come out again to do the tank sealer process, I didn't squeeze it down tight and compress the gasket.

Not exactly a challenging endeavor, (hardest part was getting the drilling shavings out with a magnet) but it was sure good to be working on the T again . . . . .

Gas Tank 1r.jpg

Gas Tank 2r.jpg

Gas Tank 3r.jpg

Gas Tank 4r.jpg

Gas Tank 5r.jpg

Some more beautiful blue.

Seems like all I'm seeing lately is green, as in $$$, every time I look it's another couple hundred bucks to Summit.

Just finished a wishlist of fittings to run the fuel line . . . . 5/8" tube along the frame with short runs of 5/8" or -10AN hose at the tank end and fuel pump ends for flex and vibration damping.

The 5/8 size probably seems like overkill, but with a big mechanical fuel pump and no in-tank pusher pump, bigger is better.

Eventually, everything will be in -AN, but that stuff adds up fa$t, and there are more pressing priorities

You need to get some grommets for the brake lines, or some ATV and squirt a bead around the line where it passes thru those tabs. I'm sure they don't touch or move enough to do so, but.... there's going to be a lot of...

You need to get some grommets for the brake lines, or some ATV and squirt a bead around the line where it passes thru those tabs. I'm sure they don't touch or move enough to do so, but.... there's going to be a lot of...

Good idea, . . . . and while we're waxing nostalgic;

I saw him perform at," American graffiti " in Modesto California. That was many moons ago. He was an extremely animated guy.

It eventually has to go through a very small needle and assembly in the carb.

Very true . . . .

However fluid thru a tube is much like current thru a conductor, the less cross sectional area, and the greater the length, the greater the loss.

The carb is also on the positive pressure side of the pump, where the tank line is not.

But to your point, I imagine 1/2" would be more than enough, not to mention easier to work with . . .

Did you know that A.N. stands for Army Navy ? These couplings were originally used by the military. How's that for some worthless trivia ?

Always wanted to know where A.N. came from, couldn't figure it out for myself and too lazy to guggle it.

I did not figure in the AN fittings when I started building my T. Ouch $$$ The cost adds up quickly. Enjoy watching your build keep the pictures coming.

Darlene, why did you choose the TIG you bought? Did it get good reviews? I'm thinking of putting one on my wish list.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back