Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The excitement is building

I have 8 of them furniture dollies and use them for everything around the shop.....Hell I don't know what I did without them.....LOL...

A promised. quick pic of the Harley now that it's all fixed and running nicely.

Also got the shop press rolled out onto the porch to move it into the storage area.

Will work on getting the trans off the engine stand and onto a dolly so the stand can go to storage this afternoon, (or maybe tomorrow) . . . I'm pretty beat up and depleted after so much physical work in the hot sun yesterday . . .

Harley Fixed 1r.jpg

Press 1r.jpg

Was rolling along too good to wuss out now . . . .

Got the trans down off the engine stand and onto a dolly and put the stand out on the porch to go to storage tomorrow.

Also cut down the POS Amazon engine dolly, (like I mentioned yesterday) so it works with the skid that the short rear end housing is bolted to. Holds it up about an inch so it rolls around easily. Was thinking I may need to bolt a 1X6 to the "flags" to add stability, but it's plenty solid as it is

Trans transfer 1r.jpg

Trans transfer 2r.jpg

Trans transfer 4r.jpg

Housing Dolly 1r.jpg

Press - Stand 1r.jpg

A little bit at a time . . . and you finally get there . . .:)

Drained and De-sludged the parts washer this morning and moved it to storage with everything else . . . . . couldn't believe the buildup of solid sludge that had to be scraped from the bottom, but it's out of the way and ready for when I need it next.

I ordered some of those 6 mil heavy duty Summit engine bags to put over the shop tools in the store room . . should help keep everything ready for when it's needed again.

With everything that's been moved to storage, I now have even more work-space to lift the engine off the test run stand and onto the new dolly than I did when I put the engine onto the test run stand initially, about a year and a half ago . . . .

I need to do a couple little things to the car before I pull the body off . . . as best as I recall, Spirit only has the 2 rear body bolts in, I don't recall seeing the front ones drilled or installed.

They're actually pretty important for locating the shifter lever cutout . . . measure where the shifter is indexed to those hole in the frame tabs, (once the engine & trans is installed) and then transfer those dimensions to the trans tunnel in the body from the body holes locations.

Also need to mark the cutouts for the seat belts before I pull the interior insert and then I can mount them while the body is off.

Looks like we have that tropical depression starting to bring us some rain and wind, so I'll have to work around the weather getting those little items done on the car so I'll be ready to install the engine/trans assembly as soon as the new dolly from Summit arrives.

So far it doesn't look bad for St Croix, but being the peak period of hurricane season, things can change for the worse, and do so mighty quickly

Parts Washer 1r.jpg

Onto Run Stand 2r.jpg

It been a really physically taxing couple of weeks for me, but it really feels good to see the progress I've made, and to see that I can get there from here . . . . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
It always seems to be “two steps forward and one step back”! As long as it’s moving in the right direction. It will get there!!!!

Yea, . . . . . I can't imagine what I was thinking back when I started this project and thought I could pull it off without a paved surface to work on . .

I'll chalk it up to being blinded by exuberance and excitement.

You are a very brave lady when I look at the set up in the picture with your engine hanging on a small caster on a block.
Please be careful

You are a very brave lady when I look at the set up in the picture with your engine hanging on a small caster on a block.
Please be careful

When I pulled the motor out of the crate to put it on an engine stand, I had to block the cherry picker up to clear the stand legs, but they aren't as wide as the run stand, so I could block under the frame instead of under a caster.

Should take the caster off and just add a 4X4 on the block to get the needed height?

New 632 8r.jpg

I have a cherry picker that I added about 2 extra feet to the up right length ( I used a new piece of rectangle tubing). It's easier to lower by adding a length of chain to what ever I'm "picking" .

The new Summit engine stand came in . . .

Or at least some of it did . . . :)

and some of it didn't . . . :(

Not a bit of hardware or a single caster . . . . Guess I was lucky to get the 3 main steel pieces . . . The 1 smaller cross piece was taped to the outside of what was left of the box . . .

Hopefully, I can take the casters off the red one I chopped up to fit under the skid, and use a furniture dolly under the skid for now . . .

Summit Stand 1r.jpg

Glad to see you back at it. Enjoying your build. When lifting heavy objects, always be safe. Overly safe. I had an old cherry picker bend on me at the legs. Luckily I was only a few inches off the floor.

Wheel Dollies came in today! . . . . .

These are sweet.

Ended up putting two of them under the diff housing skid for now, don't really want to put them under the car wheels until at least the peak period of hurricane season is over.

Was then able to take the wheels off the red engine dolly that was under the skid and use them on the new one from Summit, as well as the hardware kit that had come with the red one.

If the weather and my old achy bones are up to it, I'll take the motor off the run stand and put it on the dolly tomorrow so it'll be ready to move off the porch and onto the slab to install it in the little car soon.

Wheel Dollies 1r.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back