Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The excitement is building

Looks like I dodged a bullet . . . . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Got home this afternoon for the first time since I went to work early yesterday morning dreading to see how hard the hurricane hit.

As it turns out, it could have been a lot worse . . . .

The poor Harley was laying there on its side, looking very much the fallen warrior. It suffered a small dent and paint scrape in the tank where the left handlebar was mashed into it, and a broken side marker/turn signal light on the left. . . . . Otherwise, it seems fine, and I will make sure it runs OK this weekend.

Fortunately, the little car did OK . . . .

The white carport tent was all gone, and from the phone call I got at work, must be at my neighbor's, where he said he dismantled the frame from what was left of the rest of it.

There was one piece that looked like an "end" section that was tangled up on the little car and its car cover.

Otherwise not so much as a scratch.

I was dreading that maybe the windshield had gotten broken or something else fairly serious as the white tent had a considerable amount of steel framing that could have done some major damage flying about.

Strangely enough, there didn't look to be so much as a ripple in the tarp that covers the motor on the front porch, actually, nothing at all seemed out of place on the porch which was a most welcomed surprise.

I guess I'll never know if having taken the rad and grill off before the storm as a precaution is what saved them, or if they would have somehow survived in the wild, but I'm glad I took them off in advance anyway.

Hopefully, my McMaster order will come tomorrow, (although I doubt it) and I can finish up on the fan shroud and see how it works.

A few "Post Dorian" pics:

Harley 1r.jpg

Harley 2r.jpg

Fortunately, I got someone to help me and got the Harley back up on its wheels again.

Little Car 1r.jpg

Little Car 2r.jpg

Little Car 3r.jpg

Little Car 4r.jpg

Glad the damage seems minor. Now it is our turn in Florida. People are clearing the grocery stores of bottled water. Not sure why people do that when they could fill all the containers they want from the tap, right now. Duh. Amazon can get you a camping 5 gallon container overnight for less money than a single tray of bottled water.....

I like the way you secured the car from rolling from unwanted visitors. So glad the damage was minor, so to speak. Sure could have been worse. Can't imagine how your anticipation must have been while you were at work.

good to know it survived the storm. Seems like its a bit of a *****, for some others in its path

good to know it survived the storm. Seems like its a bit of a *****, for some others in its path

Heard on the radio this morning that it's expected to be a CAT 4, and possibly a CAT 5 when it gets to southern/central Florida, . . . . I know there's a number of bucketeers here from Florida, so batten down the hatches and stay safe.

Picking up where I left off before the hurricane . . .

So go figure . . . McMaster orders normally take until Monday to get here when I order the previous weekend . . . we had a hurricane this week, and my McMaster order managed to get here Friday!

Anyway, a little bit of layout, a little bit of cutting, a fair bit of fitting and trimming, and lots of sweat and elbow grease, and my piece of flat plate is now a primo fan shroud.

I did replace all the 1/4" hex heads with stainless button head allens, and interestingly enough, (due to my brilliant design) everything has a nyloc so nothing has to rely solely on the threads in the aluminum. Talk about solid! (I actually have to order some 5/16 button heads for the coolant tank)

The BeCool fan is based on a SPAL so the SPAL fan gasket fits like a glove and really makes it all come together neat & sweet.

After a final re-assembly, I fired it up and it sounds like a big shop vac . . . if this won't keep my 632 cool, I may be up a creek.

Anyway, Here's a few pics of a day's work . . . . . This pretty much finishes up the rad, fan, grill shell module . . . I'm pretty happy with how it all came out.

Not Too Shabby for a girl, if I do say so myself !

Rad Shroud 1r.jpg

Rad Shroud 2r.jpg

Rad Shroud 3r.jpg

Rad Shroud 4r.jpg

Rad Shroud 5r.jpg

Rad Shroud 6r.jpg

Rad Shroud 7r.jpg

Last edited:
One last little change I made yesterday that doesn't show up except in the last pic, and then you have to look for it closely, is that instead of running the bolts thru the fan and threading into the flat plate . . . . .

While I had the fan off to put the nylocs on all the bolts threading into the plenum area, I turned the fan mounting bolts around so they thread thru the plate from the inside with lock washers, so the fan fits over them like studs, and more importantly, the fan secures with nylocs on the outside, so there's zero dependence on any aluminum threads now.

(and I ordered the 5/16" button head allens to secure the coolant tank so everything will all look the same.)

Fan Mount Closeup 2r.JPG

Last edited:
It so so nice to see some one who can use a bit of wood with 2 holes in it to draw a circle for their cut line.

Man; the kids I know would need a CNC to do that....

It so so nice to see some one who can use a bit of wood with 2 holes in it to draw a circle for their cut line.

Man; the kids I know would need a CNC to do that....

They don't teach old school math and science or Tech training in schools any more. Everyone is not College material and they use to teach Vocational skills so they would at least have a start when the join the work force.

All we have now is over educated idiots that would not work in a pie factory if it meant them having to do physical work to get the pies.

Agree with the above, amazing the number that think because they did Computer classes they will be able to walk into a $100,000 a year IT Manager's position!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back