Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The famous 'stiff ride' question...

I just googled it. That 300 on it is for 300 pound spring weight. Speedway sells it.
I think I'm going to try a 160 or maybe a bit less. I'm going to try to weigh the back end first.
What type of bucket are you building?...similar to mine?

I will post a photo of the wheelbarrow tubes in my seat later today. You will love them.

I was just going through the QA1 chart from their website. According to them I should be running a 95 lb. to a 110 lb spring. Anyone else running a rear suspension that light?

hemit02.jpg hemit01.jpg This is the bestest seat I have found. I understand this may be a little high for you. I used a 6 inch piece of foam for mine.....

I am running 4ea. 225# shocks on the back of my Bucket and the back will weight about 1300# with my big "Butt" 255# and my little wife along with 2 dogs that will weight about 55#...……..mine is a Jag rear-end...

I was just going through the QA1 chart from their website. According to them I should be running a 95 lb. to a 110 lb spring. Anyone else running a rear suspension that light?

I am using Carrera (now QA1) coil overs rated at 115 lbs. I wouldn't want it any stiffer!

Seat bottom 9-21-17.jpg Seat bottom 9-21-17.jpg cut out the 3/4 inch plywood as so. Then I made a suspension out of 1/16 welding rod and springs. Then I put a cheap floor mat over the holes.Then covered with 1/2 inch med. density upholstery foam and 1/2 inch high density foam.Then the seat cover. Best mod I ever done for ride. I now sit in the bucket, not on it. Note I'm 6 feet 1 and weight 260 pounds.

View attachment 15251 View attachment 15251 cut out the 3/4 inch plywood as so. Then I made a suspension out of 1/16 welding rod and springs. Then I put a cheap floor mat over the holes.Then covered with 1/2 inch med. density upholstery foam and 1/2 inch high density foam.Then the seat cover. Best mod I ever done for ride. I now sit in the bucket, not on it. Note I'm 6 feet 1 and weight 260 pounds.

Do you happen to remember what size your springs are? My upholstery sits right on the fiberglass contour of the body which is a few inches above the floor and has a 1.5" raised moulded divider between the seats. I would like to try something like that but I'm not sure how to go about it without cutting out the entire seat area.20180917_171303_resized.jpg

Do you happen to remember what size your springs are?
They are from a Sikorsky S-76 helicopter rotor head droop stop. They get replaced every 3000 hour inspection. I used to work for a company that had 30 some of them.

Any molded fiberglass seat is hard to make comfortable. Drastic change to fix or just make thicker/better insert cushions. Makes you sit higher but can ride long distance and not complain or be in pain. Some times you have to build these cars around the drivers and not let looks interfere with safety and comfort like they do in some racing cars. Like they say, these cars are never finished. JMTCW

Any molded fiberglass seat is hard to make comfortable. Drastic change to fix or just make thicker/better insert cushions. Makes you sit higher but can ride long distance and not complain or be in pain..... JMTCW
That's the issue...the height. Right now my sight line is just under the windshield frame (which is very annoying). If I add thickness to the cushion, my head will be over the the windshield. I've looked into replacing the glass and frame with something taller but yikes...the cost is much more $$$ than I'd hoped for.

Look into the new mattress you can sit on raw eggs without breaking. I think they have pillows too. Also Aircraft Spruce Specialties has real thin cushions for pilot seats that may help. Check into some fiberglass form fitting seats with thin cushion. Lawn mower seats? Seats like Povtinguy used? The solution is out there!

I've looked into replacing the glass and frame with something taller but yikes...the cost is much more $$$ than I'd hoped for.
Try going to a plastic supply and purchasing Lexan (I think). Mine is 19 inches high x 3/4 inch thick
and only cost about $80 for them to cut, radius the edges and polish them.

FP01_WindshieldPost_6119.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back