Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tires - what do you guys like to ride on?

spayne

Right now I am running M/T sportsman 33x21.5-15 rear and 26x7.5-15 front I am thinking about switching over to radials. Can I run radials up front for the rest of the season and then make the big buy this winter for the rears? What kind of problems will I encounter, Do you guys prefer Hoosier's....not sure if I like the tread pattern for my car. Main reason for the change is my front tires are no longer round kind of oval shaped so I figured time to replace the fronts with radials and that means changing the backs too. So lets hear from the experts.

Lots of people run motorcycle tires or some other type of radial on the front and M/T Sportsman tires on the rear, myself included.

Hoosiers Pro street seems to be the majority for big rear tires, but MT's new Radial is catching on.

Right now I am running M/T sportsman 33x21.5-15 rear and 26x7.5-15 front I am thinking about switching over to radials. Can I run radials up front for the rest of the season...

I'm running the 33x19.5 rear and 26x7.5 front, and have been wondering the same thing. My fronts are very old (more than ten years) and have flat spots from longterm storage. The problem is, I wasn't able to find any major-brand radials that would fit my Centerline 5.5" rims and also not increase the tread width or weight. There's probably something out there that qualifies, but I drive the car almost every day, so my time to search is limited. In the end, I just ordered the MT replacements. I'm hoping someone will reply to your post with a radial that works. I'd like to eventually change over to radials all around.

When I went to the drags last summer, there was a Hoosier tent set up with a rep selling tires and answering questions. So I was straight forward and blunt, and asked him for his opinion between the M/T's & Hoosier tires for a street car. He flat out told me " if you want to win races go with Hoosier, but M/T's would be better for use on the road".

M/T sportsman sr radials, front and back 29x18x15, 26x6x15. Haven't got to try them out yet, but love the way they look!

I'm running Hoosiers because I was able to get them free, leftover drag stuff nobody wanted to use.... and did fit the rims I had set aside for this project. Well, tried the cross ram thing with the 460, ran like crap. Its now shelf bound till I can do some more research on it. Gonna go dual logs, make it look old school....I got the tubing and the intake flanges....instead of 2x4's, go 4x2's, I like adjusting on things....

Its all about the looks, the profile of the tire. Some like the Hoosiers. Performance wise, the Drag radials are hard as hell to beat. As far as looks, the good ole M/T Sportsman is hard to beat.
Choose accordingly....

Has anyone here tried a VW-size tire on the front? Nexen and Kuhmo both make a 165/80R15 with a street tread that will fit a 4" - 5" rim.

29 x 7 Hurst recapped full slicks in the back and 6.40 Firestone's in the front, both are whitewalls. I love the look of old piecrust drag slicks.

From the Nexen web site

About Nexen Tires
Originally established in 1942 as Heung-A Tire, Nexen Tire has over 60 years of tradition as a respected leader in the tire industry. Acknowledged as Korea’s first tire company, we first began car tire production in 1956.

Over 30 years later, in 1985, the company was expanded through the construction of a radial tire factory in Yangsan, Korea. Through an alliance six years later with a Japanese company, OHTSU Tire & Rubber, we furthered our technological know-how and manufacturing capabilities.

- See more at: http://www.nexentireusa.com/#sthash.2v8ZQmuM.dpuf

It truly is a shame that we can not make tires here in the US of A. IMHO I used to live close to Akron, Ohio and now there is virtually no tire production there. WTF!

Jim

It truly is a shame that we can not make tires here in the US of A. IMHO I used to live close to Akron, Ohio and now there is virtually no tire production there. WTF!

Jim
Just like the Goodyear plant here in Fayetteville,N.C. cost to build by labor unions and city/county not giving away incentives like they used to. I have always said a man is not worth $50.00 an hour to put 5 lugnuts on a car all day long. But that being said, I come from a right to hire and fire state who does not care if you work or not, only has to pay minimum wage and does not have to furnish any benefits what so ever.

THE PEOPLE OF THE USA NEED TO WAKE UP!! OR WTF WILL BE EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS IN THE NEAR FUTURE!!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back