Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tires - what do you guys like to ride on?

OK, I ordered a pair of the small Nexens for the front of my T. I'll look when they arrive to see where they're made. FWIW, I have been to China many times, going back to '96. Anyone who wants to know where the wealth of the West has gone need only visit cities like Shanghai and Chongqing. Shanghai in particular is a virtual ocean of skyscrapers, with streets unbelievably crowded by Buick minivans, Mercedes and BMWs. There is nothing like it anywhere in the US.

Jack

OK, I ordered a pair of the small Nexens for the front of my T. I'll look when they arrive to see where they're made. FWIW, I have been to China many times, going back to '96. Anyone who wants to know where the wealth of the West has gone need only visit cities like Shanghai and Chongqing. Shanghai in particular is a virtual ocean of skyscrapers, with streets unbelievably crowded by Buick minivans, Mercedes and BMWs. There is nothing like it anywhere in the US.

Jack
My friend, who ownes a medical electronics company he started from his garage with little more than a used o-scope, multimeter, and soldering iron, and no degree, is now moving to China and is a very wealthy man. He had to work several jobs here till his products were discovered there..... American Dream????? Thanks EPA!

My friend, who ownes a medical electronics company he started from his garage with little more than a used o-scope, multimeter, and soldering iron, and no degree, is now moving to China and is a very wealthy man. He had to work several jobs here till his products were discovered there..... American Dream????? Thanks EPA!

Have you ever been to China? If so, how did you like the air over there? There's a reason that you see so many of the people over there wearing masks in order to breathe. I say, thank you EPA for allow us to breathe cleaner air.

Jim

Have you ever been to China? If so, how did you like the air over there? There's a reason that you see so many of the people over there wearing masks in order to breathe. I say, thank you EPA for allow us to breathe cleaner air.

Jim
No, I havent, but the epa goes a lot further than air. There are less controls over foreign made product, but they are brought here and sold. We get more dangerous, lower quality stuff, they get the financial reward. Remember the happy meal toys? How about the fact that until very recently, emission standards were only required on vehicles under 1 ton. The big smoky diesels that run 24,7,365 were exempt, now the major polluters get carbon credits? I will not debate on this, I think there is a trade off that could be made to preserve jobs for the American people instead of wholesaling it under the guise of whatever the politically correct movement of the moment is. Follow the money trail and the rest will unveil itself. Jmo as an American who has children with a much dimmer future as a result of this garbage.

Last edited:
No, I havent, but the epa goes a lot further than air. There are less controls over foreign made product, but they are brought here and sold. We get more dangerous, lower quality stuff, they get the financial reward. Remember the happy meal toys? How about the fact that until very recently, emission standards were only required on vehicles under 1 ton. The big smoky diesels that run 24,7,365 were exempt, now the major polluters get carbon credits? I will not debate on this, I think there is a trade off that could be made to preserve jobs for the American people instead of wholesaling it under the guise of whatever the politically correct movement of the moment is. Follow the money trail and the rest will unveil itself. Jmo as an American who has children with a much dimmer future as a result of this garbage.
Don't get me wrong here, I am not for unregulated pollution. I just think that we have just moved it across the pond, so to speak, and it is strangling our economy. That's my view from down here where those of us who are most affected by it live. I do not profess to have the answer, but the current status quo isn't it by a long shot.

8" wide front, 12" wide rear. 15" wheels all around. Seems like this thread got away from the original question.

I'm running 155/80 0n 15"x 4" rims on the front and 285/70 on 15"x 10" rims on the rear.

Jim

Getting back to the original question, I like my big 17" Hoosiers, but they quit making them, and no one has a comparable tire. So I must die before my tires wear out. Farewell, cruel world....

Getting back to the original question, I like my big 17" Hoosiers, but they quit making them, and no one has a comparable tire. So I must die before my tires wear out. Farewell, cruel world....

Oh my god, did I make it in time??? :cry: MT makes wide 17" rim size tires. I know that's not the whole story, so these may not work. Ok then, it's been nice knowing you! :whistling:

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.php?item=StreetComp
MT Tires.JPG

I'm running the MT Sportsman SR, I love the flame tread design. The tire OD, was dictated by the need for more ground clearance or I would have gone with a shorter sidewall. I was running 28" tires, so going to 31" was like changing from a 3.7 to a 3.5 rear end gear ratio.

I bought the #6644 tire for my rears.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.php?item=SportsmanSR
MT Sportsman SR Description.JPG MT Sportsman SR 6644.JPG

Indycars, your kind thoughts make my heart, or some part of my anatomy, ache. :rolleyes: My Hoosiers are tall and wide (17x13 wheel) and are soon to be extinct. I should quit whining...nah, that's just what wifey would want.

We'll be OK until they stop making the MT's and the Hoosiers. They don't wanna get too bold with us old farts that love our HotRods, they know we'll rebel.
As long as they make the Dirt tires for racing and grooved slicks, we'll still have a supply until we croak.
Theres gonna probably be Shen Chengs in our lives before its over with, making the tires we want. If theres a market for it, they'll make it as long as they can make a profit. The Good ole US of A. The Politicians Stole the country right out from under
us. And they wonder why we don't trust them....

We'll be OK until they stop making the MT's and the Hoosiers. They don't wanna get too bold with us old farts that love our HotRods, they know we'll rebel.
As long as they make the Dirt tires for racing and grooved slicks, we'll still have a supply until we croak.
Theres gonna probably be Shen Chengs in our lives before its over with, making the tires we want. If theres a market for it, they'll make it as long as they can make a profit. The Good ole US of A. The Politicians Stole the country right out from under
us. And they wonder why we don't trust them....
Not to wander too far from the point again, but "in God we trusted", and the politicians have made even saying that all but illegal, but if your Muslim you can block traffic on Friday.... Forget about trusting the politicians lying asses. I thought coker made the old size tires still, anyone tried them?

I've not seen anyone mentioning what they are running for the old school narrower "Big n Little" look. Mine will be running 15x6.5 rims on the front, and 15x8 on the rear. So far, for the front, 185/65s are the smallest I'f found. For the rears, 235/75s. Without going to the rubberband look that I do not like on these cars, I've not found any 245 or 255 tires that are not truck/suv tires.

@Zandoz , we are running 235/75/15's med white walls on the back of our current '23 build. Fronts are matching 165/75/14's - pretty good old school late 50's/ early 60's look.

You can still get T/A Radials in big-n-little sizes with matching tread patterns. I have 275/60s on the rear and 155/80s on the front and they look great together. I have 6" front rims and 10" rears, but they will work on your rims as well.

@Zandoz , we are running 235/75/15's med white walls on the back of our current '23 build. Fronts are matching 165/75/14's - pretty good old school late 50's/ early 60's look.

White walls and white letter tires are out for me. I'm going for a kinda/sorta if you squint modified racer look, and I do not think either would be appropriate. I already have the 15x6.5 front wheels, otherwise I would go with 14" tires for the front.

You can still get T/A Radials in big-n-little sizes with matching tread patterns. I have 275/60s on the rear and 155/80s on the front and they look great together. I have 6" front rims and 10" rears, but they will work on your rims as well.

Hmmmm....everything I've seen says 5.5" rims are the max for 155/80s. I do not think I'd push that limit to 6.5" rims.

BIG POCKETS=BIG TIRES Little pockets=run what you can. The same tire on your Bucket will not be the same on my Bucket. A lot goes into the build of the car and you have to account for tires in the build. Most people go for the LOOK but I say go for safety first in the way you DRIVE your Bucket.

Whether its looks, style and/or function, its really what you like and what you can afford.The T's in the 60's didn't have those superwide rears. The 70's had the bicycle fronts with huge rears.
Is the skinny fronts with the steamroller rears pratical? No. They Look good? Depends on whose looking.
Though I like the steamroller look....(its what I grew up with), ExJunk and Ellis's Rides I like alot. They have good porportions, they are easy on the eyes, and are stylish.
Ed Iskyderian....I love the look of his T, Functional, old styled, and was a mule for his parts he made....a real hotrod.
Tires are usually dependent upon the style. Its not like you can get one of these things to hook up really well on the oily, dirty streets of HotRodsVille, USA. Like T-Test said....just make sure YOU stay safe....and run decent tires.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back