Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

To Jag or not to Jag.

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
What are the advantages and disadvantages is using and Jaguar rearend?
What is the gear ratio in one?
Would it be a problem using one with a 2004r transmission?

Advantages = they're cool-lookin', especially chromed. Some say they ride and/or handle better than a straight axle, but I can't say that I really noticed much difference when I switched.

Disadvantages = they can be a little spendy to acquire and overhaul, set-up in your chassis is more critical than a straight axle, but not terribly difficult to do.

Gear ratios = IIRC the most common ratios found in Jags are 3.23, 3.42 and 3.54. The diff guts are Dana 44, so a wide range of ratios and posi's are available.

Should be no problem at all with a 200-4R.

What are the advantages and disadvantages is using and Jaguar rearend?
What is the gear ratio in one?
Would it be a problem using one with a 2004r transmission?
I am putting one in mine. Changing out the Currie 9" for a XJ version that is posi. I have driven one and really like the ride over the solid axle Currie. Sexy looking when chromed, but saw several at the Nationals in Dayton that were not. I have been told the most technical part is setting the bracket that welds to the frame that the rear end bolts to with four bolts. It sets the geometry for eveything else except bad front wheel bearings (sorry Lee, just had to throw that in! ... glad it didn't turn into a major issue during one of the Dayton runs ... close call!)

...except bad front wheel bearings (sorry Lee, just had to throw that in! ... glad it didn't turn into a major issue during one of the Dayton runs ... close call!)
Thanks a lot, Milt! You just had to rub it in. :eek:hthedrama:

Got another little kick in the pants when I went to pick up a replacement spindle at Pete & Jake's... $172 for one spindle! 'Course, it's chrome (had to match the other one), so maybe not so bad.

I have been told the most technical part is setting the bracket that welds to the frame that the rear end bolts to with four bolts. It sets the geometry for eveything else.
I think Milt's observation deserves further emphasis. With a straight axle and radius rods or hairpins, you have a range of adjustment to get the axle square to the chassis. With the Jag, the differential is hard-mounted to the frame. All of the geometry of the rear-end is established off the differential mount. If it is not dead-nuts square to the chassis, your whole rear-end will be skewed. You cannot adjust the radius rods fore and aft to square up the "axle." The lower control arms are hinged off of the differential and their alignment is established by the position of the differential in the frame.

(NOTE: to be absolutely correct, there IS a way to make small adjustments to the alignment of the lower control arms... by using shims between the lower control arm hinge bracket and the differential case. My understanding is using these shims weakens the connection between the lower control arms and the differential considerably. Also, using shims will change the spacing between the pivot shafts and the standard tie-bars may not fit. I would recommend avoiding the need for them by getting the diff mounted properly.)

Just waiting for GAB to get back to me on the brackets.

I'm going to go see if I can get a jag rearend on Monday or Tuesday. Was told there were some 1996's available.

Any thing I should know when looking for one?
Is it hard to pull out if I'm doing it by my self? Unfortunately my friends, co-workers, and roommates are unavailable to help.

Just waiting for GAB to get back to me on the brackets.

I'm going to go see if I can get a jag rearend on Monday or Tuesday. Was told there were some 1996's available.

Any thing I should know when looking for one?
Is it hard to pull out if I'm doing it by my self? Unfortunately my friends, co-workers, and roommates are unavailable to help.

When you take it out, grab every bracket brake line, e-brake cable and anything else that is attached to the rear. Be careful with the ebrake assemblies as they are not real strong.

Oh yeah, there should be tags on the outside that will tell you the gear ratio and if its posi or not. They will be attached by the cover bolts.

Was told there were some 1996's available.
I'm going on a 63-year-old memory here, but I think you don't want anything after 1988... big change in the design after that and not as adaptable to a hot rod chassis.

I'm going on a 63-year-old memory here, but I think you don't want anything after 1988... big change in the design after that and not as adaptable to a hot rod chassis.

Ya your right. I went and looked. only one 96 most of it missing and not right setup anyways.

Found one from a 1985 Jaguar XJ 6. Just waiting for photos of it.

guy said $500 shipped to me.

They sell for around $300 here. Take keeper's advice and grab every part you can find that goes with the rear end! No sence paying for parts that should have been there in the first place.

Ron

They sell for around $300 here. Take keeper's advice and grab every part you can find that goes with the rear end! No sence paying for parts that should have been there in the first place.

Ron

$300 would be good. Then there is the shipping to Lincoln, NE

Humm your only about 6 hours from me. Do you know a place thats has one?

Sorry I just called and the one I knew of is sold. I have my net work looking though. Give me a couple days to see if there's one around.

Ron

That one found is $350 if I go get it. $500 shipped to me.
Based on current fuel costs, $150 for shipping isn't so bad.

They still need to pull it from the car its.

Youngster: Let me know what you find. Thank you. :)

That one found is $350 if I go get it. $500 shipped to me.
Based on current fuel costs, $150 for shipping isn't so bad.

They still need to pull it from the car its.

Youngster: Let me know what you find. Thank you. :)
You should try Uship great website everybody on there has ratings.People bid on your shipment don't have to accept any if not the right price.

This look ok? Still in the car.

gallery_4609_233_13457.jpg

gallery_4609_233_18125.jpg

gallery_4609_233_5392.jpg

That's what mine looked like when I picked it up, although it was already out of the car ('77 XJ6). Have the guy remove the entire "cage" in one piece and send it to you.

There should be a metal tag on the one of the diff cover bolts that will have two numbers and possibly the letter "P", which would denote a "Power-Loc" diff... Jag's version of "posi-traction." The lower number on the tag will be the number of teeth on the pinion gear, and the higher one the number of teeth on the ring gear. Divide the higher number by the lower number and you will get your gear ratio.

In overhauling my Jag, I did everything myself except the differential rebuild. It takes a special tool to get the differential carrier out of the case, plus I didn't have the patience or confidence to do that job myself. I rebuilt the calipers and e-brakes with kits from Rock Auto. I replaced the rotors with new ones from O'Reilly. I knocked out and replaced the bearings in the hub carriers. I replaced the roller bearings in the inboard and outboard lower control arm pivots with urethane bushings from CWI (no longer in business). There may still be a place to get the urethane bushings... Google is your friend. If you can't find the urethane replacements, I would NOT disassemble the stock bearings... very fiddly to replace and set clearances! I would just pump new grease through the zerks until it runs clean out the bearings. On a T these are not going to be carrying much load, nor will there a be a lot of movement of the suspension.

EDIT: Found a source for the "urethane" bushings (they're actually High Density PolyEthylene, or HDPE)... http://www.car-stuff.com/jaguarsuspensionbushings.htm

Here is what my Jag looked like after I cleaned it up and primed it...

Attachments

• 062408 005.jpg
    062408 005.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 062407 013.jpg
    062407 013.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 138
I'm going to go get it on Tuesday.

That way I can make sure everything is with it and nothing got broke. :)

That's what mine looked like when I picked it up, although it was already out of the car ('77 XJ6). Have the guy remove the entire "cage" in one piece and send it to you.

There should be a metal tag on the one of the diff cover bolts that will have two numbers and possibly the letter "P", which would denote a "Power-Loc" diff... Jag's version of "posi-traction." The lower number on the tag will be the number of teeth on the pinion gear, and the higher one the number of teeth on the ring gear. Divide the higher number by the lower number and you will get your gear ratio.

In overhauling my Jag, I did everything myself except the differential rebuild. It takes a special tool to get the differential carrier out of the case, plus I didn't have the patience or confidence to do that job myself. I rebuilt the calipers and e-brakes with kits from Rock Auto. I replaced the rotors with new ones from O'Reilly. I knocked out and replaced the bearings in the hub carriers. I replaced the roller bearings in the inboard and outboard lower control arm pivots with urethane bushings from CWI (no longer in business). There may still be a place to get the urethane bushings... Google is your friend. If you can't find the urethane replacements, I would NOT disassemble the stock bearings... very fiddly to replace and set clearances! I would just pump new grease through the zerks until it runs clean out the bearings. On a T these are not going to be carrying much load, nor will there a be a lot of movement of the suspension.

EDIT: Found a source for the "urethane" bushings (they're actually High Density PolyEthylene, or HDPE)... http://www.car-stuff.com/jaguarsuspensionbushings.htm

Here is what my Jag looked like after I cleaned it up and primed it...

Wow yours was pretty...lol Here was mine when I got it:
23-tbucket-rearend.jpg_595.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back