Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Top frame main bracket

tenbears

Hello,
After reading about people building thier own tops I want to build mine also. There was great photos of tops fabricated by individuals. My question is building the main bracket and hinge bolt attaching the top to the body. Should I be looking for that piece at swap meets or build that too? I assume that reinforcing the body at that hinge area is an important step before thinking of covering it with upholstery. Greatly appreciate any thoughts on this guys.
Minnesota Mike in sunny Apache Junction for the winter.

Mike, Make your own to the correct size that fits your body and thoughts of how you want it to look... (I used to use 3/4x .090 wall mild steel tubing, but that is a bit weak in the long haul with only one tube holding the top up, I went to two more tubes and a rear lower tube all welded in place to cure that problem and not other attachments are needed for the top material at the back side of the body this way, plus I now use a third stud in the center of the body in the back side for more support and less strain to the windshield area) As far as the mounting studs, I, myself, weld a 3/8 NC bolt to a 3 inch round piece of 1/4" steel (two needed) as a backing and holding helper, I also use a Brass nut/spacer to the outside of that stud, to lock it to the body, then with the top bow on, I then add a lock washer and a Brass prop nut to finish the whole thing off, I have used this setup from the start with no problems, no fiberglass work, nothing but drilling the hole in the right places... :) here are some pics if this works.. hehe http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/Ted_Senior/T bucket Top Bow info/

Mined is much like Ted discribes. here's a pic that kind of shows the plate (note far side of car right above the front of the seat). I welded a nut on the back side of the plate which becomes buried in the wood. a hole drilled through the body accepts a spacer I made to hold the top frame out away from the glass work. for the top frame I just welded in a spacer inside the end of the top frame tube and ground it all smooth. makes a very small and almost invisable connection.

Russ
393038560.jpg

Thanks Ted and Russ,
I have lotta welding experince so why not have some fun bending some steel. Is there an advantage to square or round?
Mike

[quote name='50's Kid' timestamp='1289943193' post='125528']
Thanks Ted and Russ,
I have lotta welding experince so why not have some fun bending some steel. Is there an advantage to square or round?
Mike
[/quote]

Square is stronger, but round looks nicer and has no sharp corners to work on the material with all the riggers of the street movement... One note here, I believe now days, I just might go with a wood piece for the windshield area, a notch in the wood all the way across for the windshield frame to fit into and sticking out front for the duck bill and now the top material can be stapled easier than maybe the Velcrow idea.. ??

I have not come up with a windshield frame yet which makes it easy to come up with ideas and frame design.This is my first T bucket build and want very much to do it the way they did it back in the early sixies. I have a flat head and a c4 tranny. Any thoughts on the windshield frame? I have apair of short Henry stantions that fit the Speedway body well, won't need much modifying. I am not a big guy and want the cab to fit me and no one else if you know what I mean.
Mike

Somewhere back in my foggy memory, I seem to recall a T w/ top bows made from bent laminated wood, iirc the y looked pretty slick, maybe a winter project???? what do ya' think??

dave

With a "flat head" you should be able to have a pretty low top as well?? maybe even a chopped windshield?

sorry, I couldn't resist,
Russ

PS,
I like your idea of wood bows. I've never seen it done, but that sure doesn't mean you can't, and that it wouldn't be REALLY cool. go for it!!

I think they do a wood overlay onto flat steel bows, this makes stapling the top material a much easier job, probably easier than trying to sew it all up into one piece??? I did ad wood to mine for a tack strip in several locations, where one-eyed Jack told me he wanted them...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back