Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Trailer Question

gfigms

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Just got back from Gulfport Cruising the Coast … anyway, during one of the pit stops on the way back, I was walking around the trailer checking the tires and noticed the right side tire on the front axle had very little tread on the inside. The left side tire, on the same axle, looked strange like the tread was peeling off on the inside. Needless to say, I was VERY careful of my speed the rest of the way home. I pulled the trailer manual and the axles are 3500 lb Dexter … fairly good axles. The manual says the tire wear I am seeing is due to either “loss of camber or overloading”. The trailer weights 3000 lbs and the T-Bucket 1800 lbs … the trailer is rated for 7000 lbs GVWR so overloading doesn’t seem to be the issue. Either it is lost of camber or just cheap tires.

I am going to replace all four tires and have them balanced … they were not balanced in the first place … but, how do you lose chamber on a solid axle?

I have the exact same problem on my trailer except mine is all 4 tires. Been talking to the axle manufacture all last week about the problem. I am going to check the camber on the wheels tomorrow. My trailer has about 8000 miles on it. I am thinking we got a set of bad axles.

Trailer axles are designed with a "bow" to them. If you look at them in an unloaded condition they arc like a rainbow (slightly). The idea is, as you put weight on them they deflect down into a more straight shape and then you are riding on the middle of the tires instead of the outside. But, if you overload the trailer, or if the axle doesn't have the proper bow to it, when you load it you will be riding on the inside of the tires. To me that is what I think you guys have going on.

I would talk to the trailer mfr, sometimes I have seen where too light of axles were installed and the axle straightened out and bowed the opposite way too easily. We ran into this in the boat business where people would put a heavier boat on a trailer than it was designed to carry. You can also destroy that bow by leaving the load on the trailer all the time, it reshapes the axle and kills that built in bow.

Don

I wouldn't leave out crappy cheap tires that come on trailers now. Here was what I got to deal with coming back from CTC. I was barely out of Gulfport when it happened. This is the second tire to let go and I have only used this trailer maybe 6 times in 3 years. I hate China and everything that comes from there.

Picture085.jpg

Well, I may have come up with the issue ... the tires on both sides of the front axle were showing signs of tread wear ... signs heck ... there was no tread on the inside of both front tires. Anyway, I am guessing that the T-Bucket isn't far enough into the trailer to take the positive camber out of the front axle. It can't go in the trailer any farther due to the rear tires coming right up to the inner wheel wells. The tires on the rear axle showed signs of wear, but nothing like the front tires. I am replacing all four tires anyway, and after I get them mounted I will check the tow in\out of both axles as well as the alignment to each other and to the front trailer hitch. I will do this both loaded and unloaded. If everything checks out, I will call Dexter and see what they think about the car not being far enough in to take the positivr chamber out of the front axle and what they suggest I do to fix it. I guess Icould load my tool boxes, sand bags for the popup, etc. over that axle to see what happens.

Never mind ... I got that backwards. There would tire wear on the outside if that was the issue ...

I am curious if trailers with torsion suspension have the same troubles? That is all I have ever had and have never had any wear problems. My just blow apart but that is the chinese tires.

Never run 205 size tires, put 215 10ply on if your running 15". Or up grade to 235/85-16 10-14 ply. Most all spring axles have a bow in middle when trailer is empty. Put a level on rim out side when loaded and see if wheel is straight up & down.

Geez ... thanks Bill ... I just went out and put four new 205 tires on the trailer. What is wrong with 205 s?

I am curious if trailers with torsion suspension have the same troubles? That is all I have ever had and have never had any wear problems. My just blow apart but that is the chinese tires.

No, torsion bars are really a lot better in that regard.

Don

Geez ... thanks Bill ... I just went out and put four new 205 tires on the trailer. What is wrong with 205 s?
Milt most 205 tires are not in 10-14 ply. They also turn much faster than 215 and a lot faster than 16" wheels. I've run many of them, but not any more. Later man.

Well, I took the trailer to a place that services\repairs trailers and they found the problem. The right side suspension hangers were 1/4 of an inch different than the left side. These hangers are welded to the frame and have been out of alignment since the trailer was built. The manual says the tolerance is ONLY 1/16 of an inch difference and is very specific about it. The manual states anything outside of the tolerance will cause exactly the trouble I have been having.

The shop cut the right side hangers off and are rewelding them. They also found that the 5000 miles I had put on the trailer with the axles out of alignment put side stress on the wheeling bearings and they have to be replaced.

I am going to try and place a claim with the manufacturer, but I will not hold my breath until I get paid.
"Objects in the mirror are about to disappear"

Handle: 23TMilt

Just picked up a car hauling trailer and was glad I had been reading about the trailer issues. Trailer is rated a little light, 7000 lb, but it is what I wanted in everything else, solid diamond plate floor, dove tail with ramps, stake pockets, tool box and I got the 9000 lb winch, electric tongue jack and some kind of hinge coupling with it. I had to bring it home on 3 wheels due to a tire blowing out on the prev owner. He said, he did not know why it blew. I was sure he had 4 chinese on the ground. I bought me an extra rim for the spare and shopping for US made trailer tires. Both the local warehouses told me all their tires were Chinese imports. I am undecided on whether to buy 2 US tires and bring the other import up for a spare or buy all 4 US and use one import for the spare. I think, I'll go all 4 US, changing tires on the side of the road does not interest me. Thanks for the education.

Just picked up a car hauling trailer and was glad I had been reading about the trailer issues. Trailer is rated a little light, 7000 lb, but it is what I wanted in everything else, solid diamond plate floor, dove tail with ramps, stake pockets, tool box and I got the 9000 lb winch, electric tongue jack and some kind of hinge coupling with it. I had to bring it home on 3 wheels due to a tire blowing out on the prev owner. He said, he did not know why it blew. I was sure he had 4 chinese on the ground. I bought me an extra rim for the spare and shopping for US made trailer tires. Both the local warehouses told me all their tires were Chinese imports. I am undecided on whether to buy 2 US tires and bring the other import up for a spare or buy all 4 US and use one import for the spare. I think, I'll go all 4 US, changing tires on the side of the road does not interest me. Thanks for the education.
I just went through a similar thing. I changed out the 205/75/15 tires for some 225/75/15 10 ply radials. I have only towed it from the tire shop home and it seemed to to a little better with the radials. We have a 500 mile trip next weekend, so we will see how it does then.

Do you happen to know your wheel width. Mine are 5 inch, so I may be stuck with 205's

Well, I took two rims, the blown tire rim and the new rim to the tire dealer today. I was planning on buying Carlisle, a US made tire, 10 ply, E load rating. Everything sorta went down hill from there. Girl gave me a quote on them earlier, but could not find them available now. Best available was 6 ply, d rating. I was OK with them since, US made. Owner informed me Carlisle was no longer US made. I asked what about Goodyear Marathon, NO, Chinese also. He recommended the best trailer tire, but would get anything I wanted. I went with his suggestion and cannot even remember the specs, D rated, 6 or 8 ply. If you have a good set of American made tires, you might want to run them for their life. Taking the trailer in tomorrow to get the other 2 mounted and all 4 installed.

Milt, thank you for coming back and telling us what you found out. So many times a guy comes on and asks for suggestions about a problem then never comes back to tell you what the solution was. I hate when that happens and it not only leaves everyone hanging, but we learn nothing from it either.

Thanks again and glad you got it fixed. One suggestion, you might have the repair place give you a letter on their letterhead stating in their expert opinion what the problem was. I would then send a copy of that letter and the bill you are paying to the trailer mfr asking for reimbursement. If they refuse, there is always small claims court, and it is easy and fun to take someone there who has wronged you. If you have a copy of that letter, the bill, and proof you paid it (credit card statement, check, etc) it should be a slam dunk and it only costs about $25 to file a claim. I would do it just to inconvenience the mfr if they are not standing behind their product.

Just a suggestion.

Don

I did not look for the China or US part, but did find I ended up with 8 ply, D rated, steel belted radial. They put 50lbs in them, but I read that you need to run max inflation, which is 60 on these tires. Any thoughts on the inflation?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back