Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Transmission mount ideas please

Chickie

I am to the point of mounting the engine and transmission and am stuck on a tranny mount. Anyone have any ideas ar direct me to some pictures? I am using a Ford AOD.

I am to the point of mounting the engine and transmission and am stuck on a tranny mount. Anyone have any ideas ar direct me to some pictures? I am using a Ford AOD.

Nothing too crazy here, but on my '27, I used 2x2x1/8" tube between the frames with 1/4" bent plate mount with slotted holes. I'm using a stock type rubber tranny mount. Trans is a C4. If I were to do it again, I'd probably design a drop-out section in the cross member so I could pull the trans without pulling the engine. But realistically, I'd probably pull the engine anyway as it is pretty easy.

Bens27331.jpg

I just pulled my trans to remove the B&M ratchet shifter and install a Lokar. I sure was glad the builder installed a removeable trans mount. I acutally had to remove the mount twice due to the dip stick tube not wanting to go in without some tilting and twisting. I have a frame and parts for a 27 and it will definitely have a removeable mount. Let me rephrase that to a removeable cross member. You may have understood what I meant, but they are different.

This is a mount for a C4 that is a dropout. A little different approach as I wanted to tie the frame rail together solidly and have the removable mount. Uses urethane bushings in the bracket that attaches to the tail housing. The sleeves on either side of the bushings are just spacers to make the opening large enough for the tail housing to come down through. The shaft ties the whole thing together.

Isn't everyone's cup of tea, but might be a spark for someone Else's idea.

DSCN1294-1.jpg

Here is a nice simple one that we sell. It has a 1 x 3 tube that welds in and makes a cross member. Then the mount itself is removable. That way if you need to pull the trans you don't have to pull the engine.
Removeable trans mount
I took my design from the CCR build book works great.

I like the CCR version because when you change to a different length transmission, you simply have to change the drop-out. Everything else stays the same.

tc2a.jpg
Here is a complete pic you can kinda get the idea.

Here is a little different version that I have made for Model A's. It probably is a little deeper and wider than you would use for a Bucket.

ModelAK-Member.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back