Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

ultra fun 23 build lol

Glad to hear you had a successful maiden voyage, Dan! The steering can be solved . . . mine took a little kernoodling to get right, but now it drives like a real car! :laugh::rolleyes:

thanks spanky and rubicon I sure was nice to actually drive it its been a long time coming for sure. I have been researching on alignment and I'm going back to the garage as soon as it cools down a bit its 90 here today and try to get to thing to track better I also think I need to really tighten up the friction shocks lol

time for a update lol i spent the weekend trying to get the car to drive a little better i started by setting the to in 1/8 inch and the caster at 5 degrees it helped it some but not enuff. so then i set the toe out to 1/8 inch and it was worse so at this point im going to take it to a alignment shop in the morning and see what can be done im sure some of the wandering issues is because of the tall skinny bias ply tires but it should still drive fairly well. i did drive it to the gas station with my daughter and when we got to a stop light she said dad why is everyone giving us the thumbs up and taking pictures lol to me that was worth the whole build .

so i got the car back from the alignment shop this afternoon and they went over everything they said the toe in was off a little and thats about it. they adjusted it and we took it for a drive it was better but im still not sure about it but we will see i guess i know bias ply tires follow the groves in the goad but i still think its a little excessive. if anyone has experiance with them please tell me about them

i did drive it to the gas station with my daughter and when we got to a stop light she said dad why is everyone giving us the thumbs up and taking pictures lol to me that was worth the whole build .

My ex girl friend compared it to standing in the middle of the street naked. It's also why I stopped paying to enter shows. The REAL show can come from a ride to the store and back,

lol that's the best response ever I agree about shows also I built it to drive not sit all day in the sun at a show. I would rather have a kid grin in the praking lot and want to sit in it and get his pic taken that to me is all the fun.:)

I enjoy the smaller, private car club type shows more. There are numerous ones on different evenings around here during the summer. Some big shows are ok to attend, but mostly from a parts hunting trip, lmho.

so do i for sure there are alot of them around here also on friday and saturday nights i do try and go to fairmont every year during the james dean event its always a good time.

G'Day Guys,
Can the knowledgable among you explain to me why people persevere with friction shocks?? I should say dampers.
Regards,
Mike.

In my case its an integral part of the front end design.

frt end view.JPG

i did mine for the look i was going for and they seem to work well there is no bounce if they are adjusted right im sure modern shocks are better but for a older look they just dont look right.

I considered using them, but opted for the hydraulics after some friends
complained about their friction units, and wanted to change them.

T Front End.jpg

I chose to have friction shocks because I liked the uncluttered look. I got some clutch material and mounted that to both sides of the arm of the shock which I then mounted to a solid round block of steel that was welded to the frame. Then I mounted the shock with a through bolt that was retained with a Nyloc nut. With a few adjustments during the first few miles I found them to work quite well.

Jim

spanky those short shocks look really good i didnt know they were made that short. ex junk do you have any problm with the nylocks backing off or do they stay tight i drilled the studs of mine and used a castle nut and put a cotter pin thru it and havend had any issues with what little i have driven it. i also used friction material i got from mcmaseter carr and added needle bearings to make them work as smooth as possible. as of now they are working well i was also advised to try and lower the air pressure in the tires and see if that helps

spanky those short shocks look really good i didnt know they were made that short. ex junk do you have any problm with the nylocks backing off or do they stay tight i drilled the studs of mine and used a castle nut and put a cotter pin thru it and havend had any issues with what little i have driven it. i also used friction material i got from mcmaseter carr and added needle bearings to make them work as smooth as possible. as of now they are working well i was also advised to try and lower the air pressure in the tires and see if that helps

I've not had any problems with the Nyloc nut loosening up in over 20K miles. The car rides and handles very well. My wife and I are both in our mid seventies and we both have RA and our extended rides are quite comfortable.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back