Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

ultra fun 23 build lol

didn't have room to put the alternator anywhere as I will be running a hood when its all done I didn't like the store bought ones they just looked cheap and not well made so I made tis one out of aluminum it works well and its out of the way.

headers are all done and work well as in previous pics the cone was not much fun to make but after a lot of welding and grinding they turned out fairly good and do there purpose but I will say they are very noisy I may wrap them in header wrap to try and keep from burning the paint on the body but we will see how it goes.

the transmission I put in the car was good but I put a new2800 summit racing converter as the cam in the engine is fairly big. at first test drive the converter was no good and sent a bunch of junk thru the transmission and burnt up the forward clutches what a bummer for sure so I had to take it back out but summit was good to me and made things right but I did have to drive up there which is a 5 hr drive for me but I made the best of it and made a long day and went to Cleveland and spnt the rest of the day at the lake. I am by no means a transmission rebuild guy but I got it back together with a full rebuild with some mods and have drove it a few miles and it seems to be working fine.

made my tail light brackets today and got everything mounted never mind the red brake drums as they will be painted black I just have not got to it yet you can also see the model a rear spring and the shackle angle is at the proper 45 degree angle I now have the gas tank finished so no more portable gas can lol. the mirrors are a clamp on style and I think they will work ok for now.

here is the car as on now its been a fun project for sure as you can see I cut a slot in the cowl and made the gas pedal go up thru it and I have a nice stainless cover to go on it I will try and get the hood on soon as I now have all my inspections from the police done so its almost legal will be by the end of week I will say I have scratched the heck out of this thing all over with final assembly and other things I'm happy with the turnout for sure it is definatly what I had pictured in my head but I did find it to be a lot of work to build almost every part of the car I want to thank all of the people for helping me make this possible the great guys I work with the past guys I worked with all of the great guys on this fourm. and last and most important the late roger Nichols for teaching me all he taught me over the years.

I will add that the total after all receipts were added up I have 4217 dollars in the build so that's not bad at all I still have about 300 more to spend on paint for the bed cover and seat pad and a few odds and ends so for people thinking they have to spend mega bucks on a build this is proof that it can be done for a reasonable cost if you are willing to scrounge for parts and do all of the work with friends and yourself. I will keep posting and checking in as I start putting miles on this thing. to all have a great evening.

Great work, Dan. I know it's satisfying to drive it after all the hours and problem solving. :thumbsup:
And that's definitely a bargain-basement build!

the transmission I put in the car was good but I put a new2800 summit racing converter as the cam in the engine is fairly big. at first test drive the converter was no good and sent a bunch of junk thru the transmission and burnt up the forward clutches what a bummer for sure so I had to take it back out but summit was good to me and made things right but I did have to drive up there which is a 5 hr drive for me but I made the best of it and made a long day and went to Cleveland and spnt the rest of the day at the lake. I am by no means a transmission rebuild guy but I got it back together with a full rebuild with some mods and have drove it a few miles and it seems to be working fine.
I had a brand new converter do a similar thing and trashed a fresh built 700 several years back. Mine came from jegs, they replaced the converter, but I ate the rest.

thats what they tried to do on the transmission to me also fletcherson but i finally talked to someone there and they threw in the rebuild kit for 30 bucks. so it worked out.

thats what they tried to do on the transmission to me also fletcherson but i finally talked to someone there and they threw in the rebuild kit for 30 bucks. so it worked out.
Mine filled the trans with slivers, basically rendered it useless, I fortunately had another on the bench and elected to freshen it using many of the fresh parts from the damaged one. There was so much debris in it that I was worried about getting it all out. I caught it as soon as it let loose, so there wasn't much damage to clutches, but the pump was trashed. I was pleased that they actually replaced the converter. I can't remember which failed, b/m or tci... I have no clue why it failed, never before or since. I had a comp cams cam self destruct during break in once, and they offered bearings, pump, etc along with a replacement cam and lifters, the issue to me was the labor. At least they back the parts...

i agree also on the lost labor it really sucks for sure the converter i used was summits boss hog brand which is there name brand i was worried about using it again for sure i spent alot of time getting the tranny case clean and hope i got it all out i guess time will tell lol i have been luckey as far as cams go and not had one fail so far but i always add a bottle of the zinc additive before startup because of todays oil not being cam friendly.

i agree also on the lost labor it really sucks for sure the converter i used was summits boss hog brand which is there name brand i was worried about using it again for sure i spent alot of time getting the tranny case clean and hope i got it all out i guess time will tell lol i have been luckey as far as cams go and not had one fail so far but i always add a bottle of the zinc additive before startup because of todays oil not being cam friendly.
I have built engines since the late seventies, shade tree, at first, then as a mechanic, then as a way of life... I fix things...that was the first one that I had issues with on initial break in. The tech at comp and the senior sales rep at jegs both told me that the new cam blanks all come from the same supplier overseas and are inferior to the past ones. They test ok as far as Rockwell hardness, but some don't seem to hold up. I used the break in lube, the correct lifters, valve springs. etc... coincidentally, it was a Ford engine, and the only other cam failure that I experienced, other than high mileage related, was a crane solid cam in a Ford where one lobe came apart, it looked like someone took a hammer and chipped the edges off, but that was a long time ago and well after break in. The modern rollerised cams don't create the same friction as flat tappet, and I believe that's why the materials and lubricants aren't designed to combat it. Its cost prohibitive to convert from flat tappet to roller. It's definitely a buzz kill to have to redo all of your work due to a faulty or inferior part... It could have been a lifter not spinning or who knows, it happened fast. As for the debis in the trans, I started installing external spin on oil filters on them after that failure to hopefully reduce the possibility of a reoccurrence. My thought was to stop the pump from feeding it throughout. Finding space is challenging though. There are in line screens that are available to go in the lines, but I don't like that idea. It wouldn't take much to reduce the line pressure and cause a failure.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back