Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

ultra fun 23 build lol

Best to find a trans shop that can get the converter rebuilt to your specs. I have had loads done by our re-builder with a stall to match the car. Never had a problem. If you have a trans cooler , then flush it to hell and back. They hold all the converter crap and just release it with new fluid. Better still replace it.

The pump picks up from the sump. but via the filter, which is the first line of defence. Theory is that if it gets past the filter its of no consequence to rest of the trans. You can make your own mind up about that. Generally if the filter is blocked the trans is trashed.

As always JMHO

thats a good idea on the spin on trans filter i never thought about that and i never thought of getting a converter sent out for rebuild either i always just bought on with the specs as close to wat i needed but this was the first one of the cheaper units i have used and paid the price for it lol .i did flush the trans cooler really well hopefully it will be enough as its built into the radiator i will keep my fingers crossed thanks for all the good info for sure.

Best to find a trans shop that can get the converter rebuilt to your specs. I have had loads done by our re-builder with a stall to match the car. Never had a problem. If you have a trans cooler , then flush it to hell and back. They hold all the converter crap and just release it with new fluid. Better still replace it.

The pump picks up from the sump. but via the filter, which is the first line of defence. Theory is that if it gets past the filter its of no consequence to rest of the trans. You can make your own mind up about that. Generally if the filter is blocked the trans is trashed.

As always JMHO
I understand and agree with the theory on the filter, but the converter failure also damaged the pump and the fear of any debris that may have remained in the cooler prompted my external filter addition. At the time, I had a large, expensive external cooler and it had stuff in it. I flushed the devil out of it, and it seemed like just when I thought it was good, I'd spot another little piece.

I agree and hope for the best I might just get a different cooler as now you have me thinking lol that's a neat filter and may try it also I would hate to have to pull it back out as it was no fun I'm not as young as I once was lol

Great job on your bucket. You've made a nice looking bucket with a lot of time , blood, sweat and I'm sure a few tears. Nice to say I built this car from scratch. It's good to see your daughter involved instead of being hypnotized by today's electronics as my grandchildren seem to be. Enjoy your bucket. I have put on over thousand miles on mine since the end of march and enjoying every mile of it.

thanks for the the compliments ronson yes it is nice to look back and say i built it for sure my daughter has been fun helping and my son has also shown interest in it now that it is closer to the end of the project. as he has fallen victim to the dreadful teenage electronic curse also lol so hopefully we will all get a little enjoyment out of it i got my plates and registration for it yesterday so hopefully by the end of the weekend i will have some miles on it im sure i will find thins i need to do after the first few drives but thats all part of the process i guess. im already planning to make a fiberglass removable top for it this fall.

thats a good idea on the spin on trans filter i never thought about that and i never thought of getting a converter sent out for rebuild either i always just bought on with the specs as close to wat i needed but this was the first one of the cheaper units i have used and paid the price for it lol .i did flush the trans cooler really well hopefully it will be enough as its built into the radiator i will keep my fingers crossed thanks for all the good info for sure.
I had a acquaintance who would cut converters open on the band saw and modify the turbine fins, weld them back together to increase the stall speed. He learned how to do it in vocational school. Lost touch years back. I buy rebuilt converters from a local transmission parts supplier called Dacco Detroit. They are pretty inexpensive compared to aftermarket. If you do your homework, you can find one that will work sometimes. There are various diameter and stall speeds designed for vehicles. Many converters will interchange, especially GM stuff. We used to use vega converters in the turbo hydromatics to increase stall speed. I think I still have one in the barn from days gone by, they were smaller, 10", from memory.

Reactions: RPM
im already planning to make a fiberglass removable top for it this fall.

I'll be watching that. I've thought a lot about doing that too.

I'm considering using a trunk lid from a '50s car as the starting point for a plug. They have some nice curvature already built in.

lid.jpg

that trunk lid would make a great start for a top for sure .i have enough fiberglass left over from doing the seat and all of the body mods and making the hood. i will probably mock it up with thin wall conduit or stiff wire then cover it with cloth and then glass over the whole thing only because thats how i have learned to do it in the past i want the whole thing to flip back and then pull it down and latch it after you get inside but im sure i will have to have a taller windshield because he head is taller then the current one

This one is glass if I remember correctly. Looks so cool with a downward rake.

Roof 5.jpg

man that really is a nice looking top looks like the one total performance used to make it does have the perfect amount of rake.

so....................... I just took my bucket for the first official drive and it runs and trans works well drove it about 10 miles but the steering is terrible need to do a good alignment I will search the fourms here I'm sure there is a good write up on how to do it

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back