Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

un registered t bucket

Well, regardless of who said what and all this other stuff, if the car has been titled OR registered, its a simple transfer. Now....like you were told if you have a attorney, let him do the talking....
The good ole matra applies here, money talks and bullshiete walks....
If they see your serious, and your ready to back everything up, they will send you thru with no problems. 99 and 9/10's % of the time is some little tater tot asshoule that has a pumped up value on his set worth, or somebody just wants to hassle ya.
The states are getting to where they want to send you down the road of a bunch of titling and inspection fees....so they can make some money. Case in point:

recently, pickup up a old beat up Pinto junker with a 2.3 and a c4. Title is way long gone, was a racer way back in the 80's. Fired up the plasma and liberated the motor and trans from the heap. Now, after completely redoing the motor and trans, transforming it into a single turbo bored and stroked screamer....guy took his stuff to get his title. he kept all the receipts, everything. They wouldn't let him get a title, due to the motor not having a serial#.
OK, it fell back to me, and I talked with the folks, seemed they wanted a # to make sure it wasn't hot.
:speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless:
OK, this told me 2 things.
1. The A--Holes don't know about classic cars
2. Don't know the local laws in general

When that pinto was new....the pintos were a very basic, inexpensive car. They were so crappy, the blocks were mass produced so fast and cheap, the motors did not come with numbers.
On if someone did do something naughty, it was so long ago that the trail would be cold.
I Finally had to give the guy a call that was the 2nd owner of said car, and get him to do a paper that said the car was sitting out in the field for the past 20 some-odd years which it was.
After doing backflips, cartwheels with a barrelroll at the landing, they kept saying it couldn't be registered. OK, Cool, Attorney Time.
After he showed up, with papers in hand, and a fee, the paperwork was completed within 2 or 3 days. The system is just that screwed up, laws on top of laws.
I won't go off on my usual rant about this :rolleyes: But there ought to be one law that rules them all. For every new law they pass, they need to do away with at least 3 needless ones on the books. The paperwork situation is so screwed up and so over-complicated, it terrible
Some of these folks in these depts don't even try....

Last edited:
well I went to get the indemnity bond and was told it would take a few days for it to get back. After a few days a message on the machine says they need more info. So I go up there seems I need a financial statement that they were unaware of and they need a copy of the bill of sale. Should be a couple more days. also the state inspector said this would cost $150.00. They say its gonna be $293.00. It almost feels like im the first person to ever register a t bucket in this state and the hoops continue.

NOT THE FIRST but there are few of us that has and it is all about the MONEY and THEFT .

went to the dmv yesterday. wish I could say all went well, was there for 2 1/2 hours. then they said they would have to send all the paper work to Raleigh. and ,llthat It would take 4 to 6 weeks then I could come back and maybe I could get it tagged and registered at that point. so the battle continues. lady at the dmv said "you must really want this car bad". I said yep and I'll be back

went to the dmv yesterday. wish I could say all went well, was there for 2 1/2 hours. then they said they would have to send all the paper work to Raleigh. and ,llthat It would take 4 to 6 weeks then I could come back and maybe I could get it tagged and registered at that point. so the battle continues. lady at the dmv said "you must really want this car bad". I said yep and I'll be back

Tell the "Lady" to call the Fayetteville,N.C. License and Theft section as to what is the RIGHT way in how to do a title on a Custom Build car. Very knowledgeable here because of all the bikes built here.

U PDATE GOT MVR1 FORM AND MVR615 NOW I CAN TAKE THEM TODMV GET THEM NOTORIZED THEM THEY WILL REMOVE THE BLOCK AND I CAN PAY HIGHWAY USE TAX, AND TAG FEES AND GET A PLATE. NOW I JUST NEED TO GET A DAY OFF FROM WORK

update went back to the dmv yesterday and came home with my registration and a tag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will have to wait for the maiden voyage as the temperature is 25 degrees also I got my AC/DC BACK IN BLACK cd loaded and ready to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a first ride 25 is plenty HEH heh

update went back to the dmv yesterday and came home with my registration and a tag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will have to wait for the maiden voyage as the temperature is 25 degrees also I got my AC/DC BACK IN BLACK cd loaded and ready to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Take it down to the dmv and outline a big black thank you on their lot for their overwhelming help! Lol...you may want to do it when they are closed. Back in black reminds me of high school antics.

Congrats on getting a tag. It took me almost 2 years to get my car titled in La. I would have thought a title transfer would have been much easier. One thing I have found is most DMV people are retarded. It is not uncommon to go to a different DMV or keep going back talking to other people till you finally find someone that knows wth they are doing. Also, in LA, Baton Rouge had a specialty division where all the special stuff is taken care of. The local DMV's were clueless.

Have fun..

Glad to hear you finally got through the process. Now the fun begins! Like Jay, I went through this in Louisiana. I actually had one of the people I dealt with tell me (off the record, of course!) that they make the process difficult because very few people will stick with it long enough to get their plates.

Congratulations again!

Mike

UPDATE been awhile but ive been so busy with the kids and home renovation but I have been able to put a few hundred miles on the bucket!!!! some things ive noticed
1. she rides rough
2.make sure you have the wheel pointed straight before you floor it
3 headers with no mufflers are insanely loud
4. I get thumbs up from everyone
I have just described the perfect ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just buy a title online, stamp the numbers on the frame, call a friend who is a notary, and take the title with the verification form to the tax collected and get the title transfered to you and buy a tag all in one trip. It's not the legal way but saves a ton of frustration

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back