Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Update on the Willy's bucket

I'm likin this!!! Can't wait for your next post!!

Ron

I'm likin this!!! Can't wait for your next post!!

Ron
Thanks for the compliment, I dug through your build post for some suspension brainstorming. Your ideas helped me a lot. I'm working as fast as I can though. I don't want to waste too much good weather.

Nice work :jester:

You shouldn't have any problems with your rear spring. There isn't much flex once you get behind the recurve on a madel 'A' spring.

Ron

On the rear spring, a spacer block in the center and longer U bolts or 4 new longer bolts, will give you a bit more ride, but it will go up that bit also, great job on that Copper radiator shroud, class I must say. Taking shape, you will be riding soon. :jester:

On the rear spring, a spacer block in the center and longer U bolts or 4 new longer bolts, will give you a bit more ride, but it will go up that bit also, great job on that Copper radiator shroud, class I must say. Taking shape, you will be riding soon. :)
Thanks Ted, I did make about two inches of spacers to go above the rear spring for final assembly. I also gusseted the heck out of all the front suspension hangars, etc. So hopefully, I should be good.

You will find out how it all works out when you get to driving Her.. I like to test drive mine and Customers cars at least 1000 miles before painting, just pretend you love Rat Rods for that time... hehe Nothing proves out your work better than a few hard miles, Bumps, backing up, parking, all the good stuff :) You are coming right along, and thinking along the way... Nothing brings more joy than driving your own creation...

Nice look you have going. I was just looking at the pics did your bucket used to have 4 link rear suspension. I was looking at the front connection on your radius rods. It loos like two sets of connections,

Nice look you have going. I was just looking at the pics did your bucket used to have 4 link rear suspension. I was looking at the front connection on your radius rods. It loos like two sets of connections,
Technically, on the four link - not yet. I was planning on being able to change back and forth from ladder bar to four link, so I made an extra on my front bracket.

Little update: Been making brackets for shocks, and finished my brakes. The wife liked the burnout in the garage - not. Need a windshield, tires, and tie rods. Oh yea, and a lot of cleaning! It's nice to get it to a short list. Whew!
23paint031.jpg

23paint030.jpg

23paint029.jpg

Funny thing, Copper probably cost me more than using something decent. I plan to use some more copper here and there.

Just wondering, do you have a headlight height law to contend with?? I found that by keeping all that sort of stuff legal, they tend to look the other way on some of the other things like fenders... :thumb: Driving will sort out what you need...

Just wondering, do you have a headlight height law to contend with?? I found that by keeping all that sort of stuff legal, they tend to look the other way on some of the other things like fenders... :) Driving will sort out what you need...
I don't know. I'd really HATE to imagine my headlights mounted any higher than they are. If it comes to something like that, I don't know if I'd really enjoy having the car anyway. It would make me sick to have to raise them and ruin the look when I KNOW the headlights are no lower than most of the ricers around. Actually, I'm sure they are not any lower than the wife's 2000 Grand Prix - I'll check on that though. Got some new shoes this weekend, and all the shocks done (I love the look of these old oil shocks on this car). It won't be long now.
23paint045.jpg

23paint043.jpg

23paint048.jpg

Looking great are you getting a little twitch in your throttle foot?

Looking great are you getting a little twitch in your throttle foot?
YES I am! You don't know how bad I want to take it out and stab the ol' gas pedal. Do you think I'd look funny driving around with my full face helmet on? Ha. I did drive it out to the street yesterday to turn it around in the garage for no reason. Of course, my wife inquired about the noisy engine again. :) Maybe I should tell her "It won't be so loud with your helmet on." She already thinks I'm crazy.

Where are you at I don't see it in your profile? It is 54 here right now good bucket weather.

YES I am! You don't know how bad I want to take it out and stab the ol' gas pedal. Do you think I'd look funny driving around with my full face helmet on? Ha. I did drive it out to the street yesterday to turn it around in the garage for no reason. Of course, my wife inquired about the noisy engine again. :) Maybe I should tell her "It won't be so loud with your helmet on." She already thinks I'm crazy.

Tell the wife it won't sound as noisy with ear plugs. Or you could be mean and say something like, "I can barely hear it run after you get done yapping in my ear." :goof:

Tell the wife it won't sound as noisy with ear plugs. Or you could be mean and say something like, "I can barely hear it run after you get done yapping in my ear." :)
Took it out to a cruise Sunday. I think I might need to shop for pipes. I'm going to Menards and get some copper "packing material". Wasn't too bad for me, but I saw two cops on the way. I was ready to pull over and give up just seeing them, but they left me alone. :)
I need to look at the rear spring/shocks also, rode like a hardtail. I have a model A rear spring with two leafs removed and old delco lovejoy oil shocks. I'm going to unhook the shocks to make sure they aren't too stiff first. Other than that, the car drove nice.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back