Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

v6 T's???

I should have kept the 4.3 I pulled out of my truck when I rebuilt it. If you are looking to save gas on using a 4.3 you are in for a surprise, these things are pigs.

The 3.8 is a good engine, but are they not all FI? Lots of wires and computers and garbage.

maybe someone makes an intake and manifold to run a crab setup. Didn't Buick run some V/6's back in the early 80's?

Edit: here's some good info on the Buick V6. I forgot they had them in Grand Nationals. Which is reaally bad, considering I have a bud who owns a Grand National. Realllllll tire scorcher.

http://www.gnttype.org/general/v6hist.html

Oh yeah...V6 Buick with a turbo....adrenaline rush BIG time when the pedal is to the metal!!! It's been said the turbo lag is your last chance to grab a full breath!1

Ron

my uncle offord to give me an old 3.8 chevy out of an 80's montecarlo.
It's low miles and free ?
but if it wont help on gass ,i'll just keep looking for a 2.5 4cyl out of an s-10 .
I wonder how cheep an 305 would be on gass in a T-bucket?

The Buick 3.8 has almost a cult following. They have held up well even while producing surprising amounts of power. The Chevy 4.3 has the track record of the small block behind it, and shares a lot of both internal and external parts.

I have had two 4.3 powered S-10's and they both averaged over 20MPG on the highway with automatics. They were both 2WD extended cabs. From that experience I would say that a T, being considerably lighter, would do quite well and have nice throttle response.

I have a 4.3 sitting on an s10 roller that is eventually going to be the donor for a tbucket. The way it sits now I can run it around (dont tell the cops) it can take your breath when it quits burning rubber. plenty of power....:rofl::lol:..Francis

I had a 90 s10 4WD blazer with a 4.3/ 5spd stick that got great mileage and would get rubber in 3 gears. I think that would be a good T engine.

TFEVERFRED, you are right, those Grand Nationals are bad, my boss has one he purchased new and now has 70,000 on it. He just got it registered as a classic and has torn it apart to make it faster. I tried not to act jelous and told him, "yea, but I have wider back tires than you" he thought that was funny...... I would like to see one of those V6's in a T..

Thanks....I'm really considering the 4 banger option. I've got a TH350 that just needs conditioning, but my 283 needs a full rebuild. If there's a huge gas mileage difference between the sbc and 2.5, then I will know which way to go. Let's see what others are saying.

I plan to use a 215 Buick, which is the V8 predecessor of the V6.
Its all aluminum and sounds right, uncorked. ;)
With a T5 it should be quick, and get 30mpg on the highway.
Thats the plan anyway.

One the guys here in the DFW area just put a FI set up on his 400 SBC and he's getting nearly 18 MPG in town. I think he's using the FORD EEC-IV computer with the Mass Flo intake ,injectors and TB.

If your after fuel economy, EFI is the way to go.

GT63 said:
One the guys here in the DFW area just put a FI set up on his 400 SBC and he's getting nearly 18 MPG in town. I think he's using the FORD EEC-IV computer with the Mass Flo intake ,injectors and TB.

If your after fuel economy, EFI is the way to go.

And if I remember right...he's put like 300,000 miles on his T! Might even be more!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back