Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Walker Radiator cooling advice needed.

LKE said:
I think that is your problem. If your stat housing is higher than the upper tank, and the filler neck is on that tank, you can't get the system totally full. And so you have a big air pocket. On my car, it is this way. But just a little bit. I jack the front of the car up to get the filler higher than the stat housing, then fill the system up.
This is exactly what I was saying earlier This is why alot of new cars have bleeders due to getting airlocked.

I am mounting a fill tank, with the pressure cap and over flow in the bed, same setup as Corvette uses with their cross flow LOW radiators,, the bed is the highest point in a T Bucket, above the engine plenty good... solves all those type problems, same for brake fluid fill... Like VW, solves that back flow problem from the front disk brakes too... :)

in petrochemical refinery piping design we use a high point vent in pipelines for venting and hydrotesting the systems. You could just drill and tap the themostat housing for a 1/4" or 5/16" set screw. Vent the system till just water is coming out then put in the set screw or a small buttonhead bolt.

Also Ceeeeeccccc I forgot to mention I got a Permacool 19115 16" Hi-Perf electric fan that is rated at 2950 cfm. It has really gone up in price at Jegs. I bought it for $85 and now it is $127.

Perma-Cool 19115 - Perma-Cool High Performance Electric Fans

blownt said:
in petrochemical refinery piping design we use a high point vent in pipelines for venting and hydrotesting the systems. You could just drill and tap the themostat housing for a 1/4" or 5/16" set screw. Vent the system till just water is coming out then put in the set screw or a small buttonhead bolt.

Also Ceeeeeccccc I forgot to mention I got a Permacool 19115 16" Hi-Perf electric fan that is rated at 2950 cfm. It has really gone up in price at Jegs. I bought it for $85 and now it is $127.

Perma-Cool 19115 - Perma-Cool High Performance Electric Fans
A fan like that is probably good for those that can not use a standard fan, mounting set up off the water pump, which is the best by far.. for any street rod... Always mount that type (elict) of fan to an external mount, (may have to build something custom, just for that) never mount through the radiator core, as that will ruin the core (tubes) in a very short time, leaks are not what you want, and that type of mounting will cause them... Just me here... :)

Yea Ted.....i hate those little zip-tie looking:rolleyes: flimsy things :eek::eek:that they include with the fans and plastic brackets that you fish thru the radiator :eek::eek::eek:to hold it on.....Its plumb cheesy! :eek:Good quality brackets are the way to go..................................

don't really think you could attach this type of fan directly to the radiator without REALLY screwing up the fins and core. It definently has to be mounted on some sort of bracket attached to the radiator seperately. The four fan legs are like 3/8x1/8 flat bar and would really damage the radiator using those zip tie jobbies.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back