Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

welding header flanges

When I weld mine, I use a 3/8" header flange and insert the tubes half way into the header flange, then put a light tack on the inside. Next bolt the flange to a stock exhaust manifold and tack the tubes on the outside. This helps keep the flange flat. Now remove the stock manifold and weld around on the inside. Skipping around as you weld will also help prevent warpage.

Ron

Ron,
Thanks for the info. I am going to build a set of header for my bucket too.
I bought a set of headers at a swap meet just for the flanges. Can these be welded wth an O/A rig? The only other thing I have is a stick welder.
Thanks,
TEX-T

it can be done with gas. weld them on the inside of the tube holes.

Ron

What about exhaust tubing. Is tubing from a muffler shop okay to use, or is the tubing Speedway sells better quality for headers?
Thanks,
TEX-T

exhaust tubing will work fine. Most of it is aluminized to help prevent rust. I needed some short pcs when I built mine and just went to the muffler shop. You can get the J bends lots of places so check around before you buy. I got most of mine from Advance Auto Parts.

believe it or not, i found jcwhitney to be a good sorce.

Ron

if your going to build some headers, check on ebay for the "bulk" deals on bends, youll spend $60 on a box of 20 bends, which range from 45* to 180* and they all some leg on at least one end

i got a box of 2.25, but at the time the guy also had 2.5", 3" and i think 4"

they all seam to be rejects from a company that does mandrel bent exhausts

Sound to me like you all are using short pieces and welding them togeter to form the bends. Is this a better way to go than to have one full length piece bent at a muffler shop?
Thanks,
Tex-T

it's much easier to adjust the bends with them in smaller sections. sometimes the tubes move just enough to cause misalignment when you weld them. buy using mandral formed tubes, the tube dosen't lose it's shape like the muffler store bends.

Ron

Thank you all. Great information. This is not my next project, but it is coming up pretty soon. Just saw the post and it applied to me.
Thanks again,
Tex-T

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back