Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Exhaust leak

CAB

I have Speedway Sprint headers. Exhaust leaks where collector bolts to header producing ticking noise that echos against the tree line etc. Besides welding the two pieces together, destroying the chrome finish, how can I stop the leak?

I believe I used incorrect terms here...the leak is where the side pipe slides over the collector. There is one bolt used to clamp them together, which doesn't seal them up very well.

Try wrapping some tape around the collector and then sliding the side pipe over the tape. It will probably burn off, but it will tell you if that's the source of the "ticking" noise. Then you might be able to find some metal tape that won't burn off.

Definitely leaking from around the bolt that's used to clamp them together. Poor design altogether. May have to find a one piece header and side pipe if available. Nothing ever simple.

Is it possible to insert the collector deeper into the side pipe to minimize the leakage?

It's in as far as it fan go, about 3 inches or so I tried putting JB weld where they meet

I use Permatex High Temperature RTV Silicone on my motorcycle's exhaust between the head pipe and the muffler. Put a light film on and snug it up, wait an hour or two till it drys and then tighten it up.

I was also going to suggest hi temp silicone sealant. I use it on my Model A exhaust manifold. It’s ok for thing costs. Big globs don’t work as well. It’s worth a try.

Try finding some muffler putty, apply it to the joint B4 sliding it together, it expands to fill the gap when the exhaust heats up..

The hi temp rtv works well. Another thought: can you replace the connector with a stainless band clamp? They seal well.

Most people don't have trouble with this connection, could it be that they are not perfectly round. Try taking them to a muffler shop and see if they can use an expander to lightly stretch them and make them round again.

Putting a sealer or tape is only covering up the problem.

You may look to see if the split in the extension is wide enough. On mine when it was clamped as tight as the bolt would allow it completely closed the split and pipe was still loose. Used a cutoff wheel and made split wider and problem solved. Probably not your problem but maybe should be checked.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back