Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Whole House Generator

railroad

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hope you guys do not mind me relying on your experience to help me decide on a generator. After the tornados put the hurt on the state, I said I would get a whole house generator. I have a small Honda and it sure was a life saver, but being the softy I am, I want all my conveniences. Just to get us on the same page, my research has got me looking at a Briggs and Stratton 15kW. There are some diff 15kW models, but I think they relate mostly to transfer switches. Looking at LP, would consider diesel, Maybe, auto start, some kind of monitor system etc. A place called Norwall Power Sys has it for $3164 free shipping, probably have to buy transfer switch separate.

The thing about generators is that they don't run enough and the fuel will really mess with a carb or diesel with pumps and injectors. The best fuel for a generator would be propane or natural gas. Yes you can drain the tank and run the carb dry, but it still can mess up.

One thing I learned in the aftermath of a round of hurricanes that began with Katrina is that fuel is sometimes in short supply after these kinds of disasters. Many stations had gas and diesel in the tanks, but couldn't get it out due to a lack of power. What fuel that was available was very expensive and had to be hauled long distances. This went on in some places for weeks. Some stations were rationing what they had. 10 gallons per customer was all that one local station would let you have. Big gensets powering a whole house are very fuel hungry.

I work in the power generation industry and my job requires that I be there no matter what. I have considered a whole house genset just so I won't have to worry about my family. My coworkers and I have discussed this several times and have come to the conclusion that natural gas and LPG are the best fuels to use(for the reasons that Ron listed as well as availability). Natural Gas is USUALLY reliable and provides a virtually unlimited fuel supply, but you're still dependent on an outside supplier. The best plan we have came up with is to get a 250 or 500 gallon LPG tank and dedicate that to your genset. It will also give you a supply of emergency cooking gas if needed. You can find used tanks in farm papers all the time. Some tanks can be buried to remove the eyesore.

A liquid cooled engine will hold up better if you need power for days instead of hours.

Mke

I pretty much want LP. I hate to have to set a tank, but we do not have Nat gas out in the country. Gasoline was not considered and really did not want to have a diesel smell near the house.

When looking at generators one thing I look at is decibel ratings. If I remember right every ten decibels is twice as loud. But I might be wrong.

I bought a 9000 watt generator from Pep Boys on Black Friday about 4 years ago for $495. Got a generator breaker box on the house and rigged up a cord and plugs to go from the generator to the box. It is mainly for if we have a hurricane and won't be for the whole house (as in running the AC). It is mainly for electricity for lights, TV, refridge, freezer, etc....

I've been wanting to get a natural gas conversion kit but ain't yet. It a good idea because if we have a hurricane then the local gas stations don't have power either to run the pumps. And the natural gas lines are underground and unlimited supply. I just put about 1/4 gallon of gas in the tank every 3 months or so and run it till it dies to keep it in shape.

I Bought a GENERAC 12Kw whole house generator with an automatic transfer switch
I have sump pumps and would have to be home to start the portable generator
I spent approx 5,000 by the time it was all installed
And have not had to worry about power and satalite TV since
IT MADE MAMA REALLY HAPPY ALSO

Miller Bobcat 250, gives me a generator and a welder. Welder gets used about once a week or more so no fuel issues.

As far as noise goes, I run the exhaust pipe into a 5 gal can, with a screen inside at both ends about 3 inches in, and then back out, and up as far as you have room to do comfortably, in a set position, you could go up 30 feet high, to do away with both sound and smell ...

Whatever you use, be CERTAIN to use a transfer switch. Without a transfer switch the power can flow back up the utility lines, through their transformer and be boosted up to several thousand volts and fry a lineman.

I've recemtly wired in a few whole house generators. They all were natural gas or LP. No need to keep refilling gas or diesel tanks. No worry about fuel spoilage. Automatic transfer switch also starts the generator and then retransfers and shuts the generator down when the grid comes back up. They also automaticly "exercise" the generator to keep the unit lubed and self-test the generator and its controls.

Whole house is usually not really the case. That can take a pretty big genertor. Most decide what circuits are neccssary and only hook those up to the generator panel. A few lights, outlets. furnace, fridge, freezer, water pump, sump pump.

It is expensive, but if the power goes out for a few days, you'll be glad you invested, especially if its cold out. After a bad storm that knocks out the local gris, it can takes several days to get it back up.

OK here is where I am on shopping, LPG, 12kW, will run my whole house including A/C or heat, 65 db noise level, transfer switch, brushless generator, free shipping, mounting pad included. I built and wired my home and have 2-200amp panels. Does the transfer switch wire in on the bottom of the meter or top of the panels. I have brick around the meter can and will do what I have to, just trying to hear from those with some experience.
thanks,

The transfer switch would wire in between the meter and the panels. The generator would then replace the utility. So, it'll likely be placed near the panels and the existing feed diverted to it and then to the panels. 12kw will net you about 50amps. The transfer switch will need to be able to handle the amperage your existing service supplies. The supplied switch likely won't be rated for the much power. Just double check it.

With a generator of that size, a sub panel will probably be used. Essentil circuits diverted to that panel, the rest left in the existing panels and left dead when the utility goes down..

200a x 2 = 400a. 400a x 220v = 88kw that will run your whole house. Now, obviously, you won't be using the full capacity of your present service. You don't now. You will need to measure your actual amperage use as you normally operate your house. With that measurement, you can decide what size generator you will need.

Do you have an electric water heater, dryer, range, heat? You can reduce the generator requirements by using gas for those appliances if you can.

On mine -- It was wired in by a certified electrician
He wired it after the HOUSE PANEL

The existing house panel was just used as a pass through to the transfer switch

The breakers on the house panel do nothing anymore

the TRANSFER switch has circuit breakers on it and they do all the circuit protection

Check out LOWES website and you should see a good picture of the panel -- or better yet

just go to GENERAC'S web site i am sure they have pics and instuctions available

The only thing not on my panel is A/C and the back garage

Frank

Also

Keep in mind that some of these generatos have an external power outlet right on the generator housing

Mine didn't come with one
BUT

I really wish I had got one with that option

I just went and googled GENERAC and it came up with a listing of all of there generators including PDF files with installation instructions

My first whole house generator failed and GENERAC sent a local company out to fix it

When they could not fix it Generac sent a NEW bigger generator out and had the local company install it

This all happened with in 18 months of initial purchase

CHECK THE WARRANTY before buying

Frank

Good advise, thanks. I had by passed Generac, due to some bad press on the internet. I know, you can find it on anything out there. I got some good reports on the Briggs and Stratton model. On the 2- 200 amp panels, it is still just a 200 amp feed, but 2 panels to handle all the circuits. Wiring my own home, I exceeded code on # of outlets. I do not have to move furniture to find a plug. I think I will read the warranties a little better, before making a choice.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back