Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Why is gas going stupid

Hawaii would be my guess. I heard they are looking into all the refineries in midwest shutting down for no good reason Memorial day week driving up prices

Illinois? A year ago I would have said California.

Hawaii would be correct. Good job Putz!! Michigan used to have a refinery that shut down oh probably 15 years ago that used to supply Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. Even back then our gas cost more then the other two states. Our good ole Governor has a bright idea to jack the gas tax up as well as auto registration to fix the roads. This was done back in the 70's and it was said that there would never be a need to ask for more money to fix the roads because it would create a surplus. I can promise you this, a blind man sitting in the passenger seat could tell you when he crossed over into Michigan just from the road conditions.

3.99 here this morning. Sure makes filling up 28 gallons painful! :cry:
I went back last night to the same station I filled up my truck that morning at 3.99 to get a few gallons of gas for the mower. It was now 4.25. Hmmm... 26 cent increase in 10 hours - awesome.

Just wondering, why do gas prices always end in nine tenths of a cent, $3.99.9, $4.15.9, etc. What's with the .9?

Gas was up to $4.39 or so here around the Twin Cities they said it was do to a couple oil refinarys we get our fuel from at up here was closed down for maintaince or something like that. So the prices shoot up but I guess they found another refinary to get the fuel from so gas has been going back down but still around $3.59-3.69 for regular unleaded. Diesel fuel was lower then gas when it went up which havn't seen that way in a long time.

Up here in northeastern Minnesota I filled up today at $3.93. To top it off our temperatures have been hovering around 15 degrees below normal with only a handful of days getting into the 60's. It was about 48* on Wednesday so I'm getting it when I fill my tank and when the furnace is still running. I have the thermostat set at 64 and the weather outside just will not allow the house to hold that heat.

I guess we are really lucky. Gas here at $3.35, if you get a Country Fair (Citgo) card $.05 off $3.30 a gallon. We have a station where I buy gas with no ethanol for off road use $4.09 a gallon. NW Pa. Just across the line (20 mi) in Ohio gas is $3.59.

you guys make me laugh. Come to the UK and fill up. Then see if your bank will honor the tab.........
Must say its been stable for a while now. Knowing the system they use, it will go up by at least $1.00 soon.

So if I did my arithmetic correctly, that translates to $7.99 per gallon. Ouch.

It's not as big an ouch as you might think. If I remember right when they pay for gas that also covers medical, dental and possibly education expenses as well as the price of the gas.

Gerry feel free to correct anything I said.

Well now,lets see.
We have income tax and National insurance that amount to 1/3 of your earnings, then a 20% sales tax on almost everything, including gas. a 4% tax on any insurance, Property tax, mines about $3000 a year. Cigarettes are about 12 buck a pack, due to tax, wines has almost doubled in the last 12 months and they are trying to bring in a minimum tax per alcoholic unit on that. Oh and vehicle excise duty... $325 on a 2.4 litre petrol Cruiser and some more I cant recall. Buy a new Range Rover and the first years vehicle excise on it is $1400.00 Vehicle excise is paid every year just to use the roads.
I believe we are the highest taxed country in Europe at the moment.

About the only thing thats not taxed is food, unless its luxury food like pastries etc.

Sounds like fun, Eh???

$4.15 this morning in the western suburbs of Chicago, I remember when I started driving in 1959 gas was .25 cents a gallon.

I posted that last Wednesday, today it's $4.35 at the same station, it jumped .20 cents in 6 days.

Well now,lets see.
We have income tax and National insurance that amount to 1/3 of your earnings, then a 20% sales tax on almost everything, including gas. a 4% tax on any insurance, Property tax, mines about $3000 a year. Cigarettes are about 12 buck a pack, due to tax, wines has almost doubled in the last 12 months and they are trying to bring in a minimum tax per alcoholic unit on that. Oh and vehicle excise duty... $325 on a 2.4 litre petrol Cruiser and some more I cant recall. Buy a new Range Rover and the first years vehicle excise on it is $1400.00 Vehicle excise is paid every year just to use the roads.
I believe we are the highest taxed country in Europe at the moment.

About the only thing thats not taxed is food, unless its luxury food like pastries etc.

Sounds like fun, Eh???

Yeah but look at all the FREE healthcare you are getting. Lol

Blatant price fixing that the government says will not tolerate, but the government does nothing because of the huge political contributions that big oil gives. I just got back from spending May in the UK and during that time, the British gov't raided both Shell and BP offices to find evidence of price fixing. I don't think there was an outcome, but maybe a member from overseas can update us.

In Manitoba, gas is $1.35 per litre, works out to $5.11 per US Gallon.

With a free market society if there was cheap gas out there someone like walmart would be selling it to get an edge over everyone else if possible and it has not happened.

Yeah but look at all the FREE healthcare you are getting. Lol

Thats true we do get 'free' health care. Mind you prescription are 10 bucks a pop, and private health care patients get priority.
Still, have to say gas prices have been stable for a few weeks now. Only $100 to fill up my PT Cruiser, so bargain

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back