Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Why is it so hard to sell me a welder

Keeper

Okay I have to rant a bit.

As some of you know I have been shopping for a welder for the last week or so, I have called the 3 local welding supply shops and asked for pricing on 2 welders.

Miller 211
Hobart 210

First they all tried to sell me a Lincoln 180 because it is a Canadian company and made about 30 minutes from me. Good machine but I want to be able to weld 3/8 in a single pass. So its 200amps or better.

Out of the 3 supply shops, 2 called me back with prices on the Miller, neither had prices on the Hobart, 1 went so far as to tell me "We don't sell Hobart junk" and when asked about a package deal with welder/cart/tank pretty much told me "You are a small guy so we won't work with you", one shop didn't call back at all and when I called again to ask I was pretty much blown off.

So I am ready to drop $1000 to $1500 for a kit before taxes and these guys act like they couldn't be bothered. The first shop that called me back even mentioned that "New equipment sales are really slow this year" and then proceeded to not try and sell me anything.....

I did see Northern tools is selling the Hobart 210 with a spool gun for $899 with free shipping. I think its just time for me to head back to the US for some shopping. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Send it to your sister then have her ship it to you will that work?

I would send a letter of disappointment to the heads of those companies. Let them know what worthless people they have representing them.

First off, if these suppliers are treatin you this way now, what kind of service will you be getting after you make your purchase. Are they gonna tell you to go to the back of the line because they have an account to keep happy.

Secondly, I'm here to tell you that I've been using Hobart welders both at home and on the job for the better part of 20 years. As with any tool, you take care of it and it will be there when you need it.

Keep looking till you're happy with the seller and their attitude.

Ron

I live in a small city, and the two welding suppliers here will bend over backward, no matter who you are, to sell you something.

One supplier will even look out for you if you want to buy used gear. When they sell a new unit to a local company, in exchange for a discount, they will often take a trade in unit. Once they get a used machine in, they really don't want to keep it around, so they will call the small customers and see if anyone wants it. That's how I got my nice Miller tig torch cooler. Got a call one day from my supplier, who knows damn well I'm a little guy, and made me an offer on the cooler I couldn't refuse. :cool:

The suppliers here treat you well. That's because It's the supplies like rod and gas they make their real money on. They don't make anything on welders.

I'm sorry to hear they are treating you that way..... :sad:

David

Yeah it gets a bit frustrating, but hey if that is how they treat their customers I can always go somewhere else. I have no problem paying a few extra bucks at someplace that gives a damn.

I did find that there is a Tractor supply place (TSC) about 20 minutes from me that keeps the Hobarts in stock. I will be heading that way this afternoon. Hopefully I will have a new tool to play with this weekend.

man you have some crusty un proffesional / proffesionals near you the local shop here sells you anything from 5lbs of rod or a pick hammer to a full self contained mig / tig / stick generator unit with a trailer ? they are an air gas franchise but always treated me well ? :cool:

So I found a small shop located not far from home. I sat down and talked to the guy for about 30 minutes on what I wanted to be able to do with the welder. We did some price chopping between the 3 big choices, Hobart 210, Miller 211 and the Lincoln 180c.

After all was said and done, he sold me on the Lincoln 180c. They were running a special until the end of Sept.

For the price of the 211. I got the Lincoln 180c, cart, 60cf tank, spool gun and large spool of wire.

So I got a new tool to setup this weekend.

What a pain in the rear!

Congratulations! It's always fun to buy new tools. :ciao:

It also sounds like you got a smoking deal. Glad to hear you found someone who would give you the time of day.

David

lol...so the saga continues.

I went out this morning to unpack things and get it ready to go. I put the cart together, straped the tank in and got to the welder. Pulled it out of the box and set it on the bench.....hmmmm why does the door not close.

Started looking a bit closer. The front panel is cracked, the bottom corner is dented and the spool door will not close all the way, so back it goes......

I think someone is trying to tell me something.....

But remember he who dies with the most toys wins.

Now if Keeper dies before he gets a welder he can use... you guys will look bad.:lol:

Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourists attraction...

dovehunter79 said:
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourists attraction...

lol Well I suppose that is true. You could always start collecting ear wax or something and some have "The worlds largest ball of ear wax" then you just move along route 66 and there you go!

Got the replacement welder yesterday, got it all set up and ready to go. Gonna test it out after I pick up my new to me drill press, circa 1940 :D

funny, miller and hobart come from the same company.. my hobart has a miller gun on it even..pretty much the same welder..Pretty much an embarassment to both copmpanies the way youve been not sold anything...:eek:

It wasn't Miller or Hobart that was the problem. It was the local welding shops that wanted nothing to do with me buying a machine. Since I was just one guy and not a company they would hardly talk to me.

Oh well I found a shop that would deal with me and took the time to sell me a machine I should be happy with. I ended up with a Lincoln 180c.

I was planning on testing it out today but got side tracked with a new drill press purchase :D

I paid $30 for this:
05sm.jpg

A 1940-1950 Drill press. I just could not pass up this deal!

The nicest thing to add to a welder is auto darkening helmet especially for fine work in tight areas.

Keeper said:
Picked one of those up a month ago. Not sure how I worked with out it before. Always wondered how my welds always seemed to start a 1/4 inch out..lol
So they will save power less welding less wire nicer looking welds.More time to tip a few.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back