Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield frame material supplier

Very cool .... thanks Keeper!!

Ron

I know this is an older post, but a customer was in Saturday and was having fitment issues with some Stainless Layback Posts. He could sort of get them fit but realized the windshield frame width needed changed to get it right. He had already purchased a frame and was looking for a cheaper option. I let him know that we (CCR) could make him a special width frame or he could buy the material by the foot from us and build his own. He suggested I let the Guys on the forum know CCR could supply the material and save some money. I will look up costs when I get in Tuesday and set up a Special "per foot" price for the T Bucket Forum guys. I will post that info. on our Sponsor link

Jerry

I bought the material for my windshield frame from McMaster-carr (industrial supplier).I got a 72" stick of 7/8 aluminium for $33. I machined a groove in it on a friends bridgeport after checking with the local glass shop,and getting a sample of glass and setting tape to determine the correct slot width.We mitered the lower piece 45 degrees and the upright pieces 48 degrees to get a little flair at the top.We drilled and tapped the mitered joints and used socket head screws to join the pieces. I used laid back posts for the hot rod look.I actually ground and filed the posts where they fit the body to move them in a little closer,I got them fit up so the ws.frame drops right in with no problem.

To me buying the windshield posts are something that should come with the body because they are body specific.

Yes the posts SHOULD come with the body you want to use, along with the windshield frame... That is the problem in mixing products... If you buy a chassis 'kit' or frame with welded tabs for suspension and engine mounts from one company, you really should continue to buy all that they supply for that chassis, as then all the pieces are made to fit that chassis... Same goes for body parts... IMHO keeping brands together is much easier and cheaper in the long run...

Here's a picture of the corner joint, this allows for easy adjustment on width. We put this on the bottom so it gets covered by the windshield post.

It would be best to have the posts with the body, but sometimes a guy might be changing out just a body or a windshield and still would have to fit the posts. The step most people run into problems with would be not re-checking the post fitment after the bodywork is completed... before the paint goes on! The primers that are used build up very quickly and bodyshops tend to prefer sanding on primer rather than fiberglass and gelcoat to smooth scratches.

Windshield to post detail.jpgWindshield corner detail.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back