Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Winter is coming :-(

JetMech727

Almost that time of year where our roadsters will get parked for the winter. Indy & I were discussing our plans for winter car projects the other day. Who else has plans to do some winter upgrades or modifications and what are they?

First, I try not to just park my T and wait 'til Spring; on days when it reaches 50 degrees F and the sun is out, I'll be driving it. And, yes, I need to do what I've been putting off - install a new water pump on my sb Chevy to replace my old noisy one. :rolleyes:

6 Engine.jpg

I southern New Mexico we don't have this winter time of witch you speak......I does get kinda cold in Feb but that is only for a couple weeks...…...LOL...….when I can get in it I drive it, right now the leg don't work so good......

For the last three years I have started a list while summer is still going. Then I have
something to look at when it gets cold enough out, usually around Nov 1st for me.

From 2015-16 List
Replace headers with something different of my own design made from stainless.

Additions For Winter 2019-2020
New dash from the Paduck wood that I bought several years ago.
Fix water and oil leak around the water pump/timing cover.
Have Gerald Brand Racing fix the header studs.
Brace radiator to headlight stanchions using holes in the radiator shell.
Re-pack front wheel bearings.
Replace oil pan with one that has more ground clearance, but still holds 7-8 quarts.

Every year Tucson has the Day One cruise, which is January first. Some years it is in shorts T-shirts, some years a little colder but it still draws a lot of cars of all types.

Jim, there is a benefit car show over at Kwik Lube just north of Catoosa in the morning. Should be warmed up to around 40 by sign up time at 9am. Planning on taking the sedan instead of the roadster.:D

First, I try not to just park my T and wait 'til Spring; on days when it reaches 50 degrees F and the sun is out, I'll be driving it.

Thats a good practice Spanky. Not good to let anything sit for extended periods. If you need a hand with that pump I'm only 6hrs away. :) It was upper 40's and sunny here today so I took mine out for some exercise before I came to work. I find if I warm the car to operating temp then ground the fan temp switch so it stays on and remove the shifter boot I get decent heat up through the hole. I usually leave 2 drop lights (old style w/bulbs) laying on the intake turned on just to help with condinsation through the winter. Keeps a little heat in the engine.

I southern New Mexico we don't have this winter time of witch you speak......I does get kinda cold in Feb but that is only for a couple weeks...…...LOL...….when I can get in it I drive it, right now the leg don't work so good......

Ha Ha. I do miss NM weather. I was stationed at Holloman in Alamogordo for 4yrs. My wife left today to visit her folks who still live there. Sorry bout the leg. Hope it gets better soon.

ROLLER BY THANKSGIVING!

That's great news ORF!:thumbsup: You'll be able to come out and play with Indy & myself before you know it.

For the last three years I have started a list while summer is still going. Then I have
something to look at when it gets cold enough out, usually around Nov 1st for me.

From 2015-16 List
Replace headers with something different of my own design made from stainless.

Additions For Winter 2019-2020
New dash from the Paduck wood that I bought several years ago.
Fix water and oil leak around the water pump/timing cover.
Have Gerald Brand Racing fix the header studs.
Brace radiator to headlight stanchions using holes in the radiator shell.
Re-pack front wheel bearings.
Replace oil pan with one that has more ground clearance, but still holds 7-8 quarts.

You've got a good list going Indy. Give me a shout if you need help.:thumbsup:

Every year Tucson has the Day One cruise, which is January first. Some years it is in shorts T-shirts, some years a little colder but it still draws a lot of cars of all types.

That sounds fun 409T. I've always wanted to do something like that but we generally have snow bout that time. I envy your weather.

We are just getting into nice weather for the next 8 months can't wait

Guy, that was just plain mean.:roflmao: Plenty of good weather to enjoy that new Camaro. :thumbsup:

Me, I just need to do some rag wrenching, finish the interior up and drive it when weather permits.

Jim, there is a benefit car show over at Kwik Lube just north of Catoosa in the morning. Should be warmed up to around 40 by sign up time at 9am. Planning on taking the sedan instead of the roadster.:D

Sounds fun Lee. You have an address? The sedan, now that just ain't right.;) Will you help pull me out of the roadster if I'm stuck to the seat?:roflmao:

Someday I’ll have a winter list. For now, I just have a list..and it’s long!

LOL dw. You'll be out having fun with the rest of us before you know it. Then you'll have stories of frozen fingers and rosy red cheeks that sting of your own.:thumbsup:

3331 N. Hwy 66. Should be south of Mollys Landing on the east side of 66. Fairly new building. Ya, we can get you out I bet.

Oh yeah. I think I know the place. Has an old truck sitting out by 66 at the entrance. I'll try to make it. Thanks for heads up on it.;)

Thats a good practice Spanky. Not good to let anything sit for extended periods. If you need a hand with that pump I'm only 6hrs away. :) It was upper 40's and sunny here today so I took mine out for some exercise before I came to work. I find if I warm the car to operating temp then ground the fan temp switch so it stays on and remove the shifter boot I get decent heat up through the hole. I usually leave 2 drop lights (old style w/bulbs) laying on the intake turned on just to help with condinsation through the winter. Keeps a little heat in the engine.

Ha Ha. I do miss NM weather. I was stationed at Holloman in Alamogordo for 4yrs. My wife left today to visit her folks who still live there. Sorry bout the leg. Hope it gets better soon.

That's great news ORF!:thumbsup: You'll be able to come out and play with Indy & myself before you know it.

Our summer was the warmest i have ever seen , started in April over 100 till recently , this morning was 62 going to 85 dam nice winter

You've got a good list going Indy. Give me a shout if you need help.:thumbsup:

That sounds fun 409T. I've always wanted to do something like that but we generally have snow bout that time. I envy your weather.

Guy, that was just plain mean.:roflmao: Plenty of good weather to enjoy that new Camaro. :thumbsup:

Me, I just need to do some rag wrenching, finish the interior up and drive it when weather permits.

Somebody in Oklahoma forgot to close the gate that keeps the cold up where it belongs.
It was just under 40F last night in my part of East Texas.

I’m loving this cold front in Texas. I can actually spend some time in the garage without having a heat stroke!

51 degree today , got “t” out today, in iowa we don’t have a lot of warm days to go for a ride in the winter . I try to get mine out once a month if I can. If I can’t get out I start and let run in my shop,I raise the rear end ,and
Run .warms up rear end and tranny .

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back