Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

305 engine mount

olguy

Hi guys,
I'm busy rebuilding the "bargain basement" '27 I bought. I looked at the engine mounts and found that the engine is hard mounted to the frame. The side mounts are welded to the frame rails.
Since my garage tools are rather limited, I'm thinking about using Speedways old style sbc front mount and cushions with some fabbed, bolt-on frame brackets. That way I can lift the engine enough to install the front mount and cut away the welded mounts. Other than aesthetics, is there any reason I shouldn't do it this way.
You folks have already helped me immensely on straightening out the rear suspension on my "T"
Thanks in advance,
olguy

The problem with the saddle mount or front mount on a SBC is that it puts alot of stress on your engine/trans assembly where they bolt together. I bet If you gave Ron (RPM) a call, he could build you a set of his mounts that you could bolt into your chassis.

Ron

The problem with the saddle mount or front mount on a SBC is that it puts alot of stress on your engine/trans assembly where they bolt together. I bet If you gave Ron (RPM) a call, he could build you a set of his mounts that you could bolt into your chassis.

Ron

Yes those Alum Trans cases are not strong enough for front engine mounts only, Back when they use front mounts, they also had side mounts at the bell housing, besides a rear trans mount...

Nope ... front and bellhousing mounts in '55, '56 and '57, side and tailshaft from '58 on up.

Ron

Hi guys,
I'm busy rebuilding the "bargain basement" '27 I bought. I looked at the engine mounts and found that the engine is hard mounted to the frame. The side mounts are welded to the frame rails.
Since my garage tools are rather limited, I'm thinking about using Speedways old style sbc front mount and cushions with some fabbed, bolt-on frame brackets. That way I can lift the engine enough to install the front mount and cut away the welded mounts. Other than aesthetics, is there any reason I shouldn't do it this way.
You folks have already helped me immensely on straightening out the rear suspension on my "T"
Thanks in advance,
olguy

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back