Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

351C Engine Won't Stay Running

With all due respect, starting a shotgun approach to replacing this, replacing that and bolting on a new one of these is only going to accomplish two things - it is going to require a considerable cost, in both time and money. And naught will be learned in the process.

Take the time to be sure things are working as they should, before you start replacing them. And take it one step at a time, so you will be able to keep track of the results you are producing. Make a change and see what happens. If it gets better, you know you're on the right track. If it gets worse, go back to where you were and see if you are repeating the earlier results. The go the opposite direction on your next move. Don't go changing $100 worth of parts, because you might not have any parts problems. Diagnose what is really wrong, and if it is down to a faulty part, then you are only replacing that one part. Does that make sense? OK, then let's get started.

Roll the engine around to TDC on the #1 hole and check the cap/rotor alignment. Get it as close as you can.

And remember, just because you are seeing TDC on the balancer does not mean you are at the firing stroke on #1, so pull the #1 plug and roll the motor over with your thumb over the plug hole, until compression blows your thumb off. I see more people get caught out at that. Seeing TDC on the balancer could mean #1 is about to fire, or it could be #6, so check and be sure.

Now, hook a vacuum gauge up to the engine and light it off. Let the vacuum gauge talk to you. If you cannot understand what it is saying to you, take a look at this thread for some pointers. Start jotting down some notes, so you know what you've tried and what results you saw.

With a weather eye on your vacuum gauge, close that choke blade and see if things smooth out and get better. With it having problems spitting back through the carb, keep your hands away from the top of the carb, so you don't get burned. Read that sentence <--- again, to make sure it sticks. If the gauge shows a better reading and the idle improves, then you know you have a vacuum leak, because you have just choked down what should be the engine's only source of air.

I'm completely unfamiliar with the Summit carb, but it appears they've done naught but stuck their name on an old 4010/4011 Holley design. If that is the case, you've like as not knocked the power valve out, what with the backfires. So you may have a situation where the motor is hunting and seeking, at idle, trying to deal with the additional fuel. Which will make your vacuum level readings all screwy. A quick hint for a blown power valve is a very heavy, raw gasoline smell at the headers. If you are noticing that, you might want to grab a couple of new power valves, so you can get that problem fixed before moving on to the next one. Don't get technical about it, just grab a couple of 6.5 power valves (125-65 Holley) and that way you will have a spare, if it huffs through the carb, again.

And don't go bumping timing up, unless you have already verified it is severely retarded. If it is spitting through the carb, that could be a result of overly advanced timing, as it is, so don't make the problem worse. Unhook your vacuum advance hose and cap the port it was hooked to. And after you get things sorted out, you will want that hose hooked up to timed or 'spark' vacuum, and not manifold vacuum.

If you are going to just start changing parts out for the sake of changing parts, I recommend starting with the left-front turn signal fluid and then swapping the air between the rear tires.

Okay so several hours in the garage tonight, this is what happened:

- Plugged all vacuum lines and tried to run it. Nothing different.
- Pulled the intake manifold and carb, changed gasket on both. Found TDC of #1 cylinder, and marked it on the balancer. The stock timing mark was off.
- Put the distributor back on, engine @ TDC, and had the rotor pointing directly @ #1 plug wire. Wouldn't start.
- Turned distributor 180 degrees. Wouldn't start.
- Started to turn distributor one tooth at a time, and it was getting closer.
- By 3 teeth over, it would start and run, then stop.
- Finally it was adjusted to a point where if we held the throttle, the engine stayed running about 3k RPM's. When the throttle was let off, it would backfire a bit, run rough, and then die.
- This is all at 3 teeth over on the distributor from where it should be.
- We turn the crank to TDC, reset the distributor to point at #1 plug wire...NADA!!!!

How could this make any sense??? Someone please help me make sense of this. I am going nuts!!!!! :-o

When you rotate the engine to get it to #1 cyl. is there slack in the timing chain? If so it has jumped timing.

With all due respect, starting a shotgun approach to replacing this, replacing that and bolting on a new one of these is only going to accomplish two things - it is going to require a considerable cost, in both time and money. And naught will be learned in the process.
When I said try a known working carb, I didn't mean to go out & buy a new one. Usually, we all have a spare laying around or a buddy who has one that we can borrow. That's a fast way to eliminate one thing, especially when you have been dealing with a problem for too long and are at the end of your rope as I have been many times...you just want it fixed now and we'll learn why later, lol.

If the timing mark is off with everything aligned, it could be sheared damper keyway, outer ring on damper slipped, wrong timing tab, jumped/bad timing gear.

In any case, it does sound like it has jumped timing. Check to make sure the distributor gear and the gear on the cam aren't wiped out. That's easy enough. Then check the timing gear as T-Test mentioned. I'm not that up on SBF's but I think the keyway on the crank and dowl pin on the cam should be at 12:00 and 6:00 with #1 at TDC. If it's a Cloyes timing set, it will have dots that should be aligned at 12-6:00. Then if that's ok, I would go after the coil or the voltage regulator. Neither one is expensive and it never hurts to have a spare. Maybe even do that first because it's easy if you don't feel like tearing the front of the engine apart...

After that, I can't imagine what it might be other than a wiped cam lobe or broken spring or something catastrophic like that. But you said that all looked fine so...

Last edited:
I do not mean to be too blunt, but you need someone that recognizes what an engine is doing and needs when it is not running right. I hope you left out setting the timing higher than TDC. Not many engines will start and idle at TDC. If you did not, you should have advanced the timing by turning the dist ccw, while cranking. Moving the dist timing by 1 to 3 teeth is much more than needed if everything is right. No mention of inspecting the gaskets on the manifold or carb. I hope someone took the time to inspect both sides of each gasket. When setting the #1 piston to TDC, you need to put your thumb over the plug hole and feel the compression or verify both valves are closed and the timing pointer is in the area of your timing marks. If you will not speed up the idle you can use the throttle to keep it running. If you think your timing marks are off, leave the dist loose enough to turn by hand. While keeping the engine running turn the dist until the engine runs better.
It is possible the engine has jumped time, but it would probably be a rag of an engine if this was the case. Slack in the timing chain does not confirm it has jumped time. Other than new, most timing chains have varying amounts of slack. I guess you need to confirm the engine ran properly before the gaskets, intake and carb. If so, you have an issue you are unfamiliar with. I wish I had mentioned the end gaskets on the intake. I did not know you were going to R&R them overnight. If you get back to it, read up on using RTV on the intake and tell me what you have plugged in the valve cover holes. It needs to breath. Not an issue for cranking and running right now.
I do not know about your dist set up, but if you can get the engine on TDC with the dist timed and rotor pointing on #1 terminal, keep turning the crank until the pointer lines up with 10*, turn the key on and rotate the dist ccw (with the cap on) as the pickup energizes it will fire to #1 wire, which you have laying on the block with a plug in it. When you hear or see it fire, the pointer still on 10*, snug the dist down enough to hold it in place. You now have the engine timed at 10*TDC, leave the vacuum adv disconnected and plugged on both ends. I have seen dist that are defective and fire sporadically. This would throw everyone a curve. I'll hang in there as long as it takes. Need all the details.

I will run through the "finding TDC procedure" again and see what that nets me first. If I come up with a completely different mark, yeah something is up with the balancer. I am pretty sure the cam gear for the distributor is fine, last night I turned the engine over with the cap of the distributor off, and it all rotated just fine, and as I turn the engine over, it takes 2 revolutions of the crank to rotate the rotor all the way around. That all seems to be on the up and up.

My coil gets hot when the engine does run...should a coil get hot?? Could this all be caused by my coil overheating as it is running, and deciding it wants to stop putting out spark? My 12v source comes off my ignition like the harness is made for.

I hope you made note of the fact, TDC is not the proper setting. 10* BTDC is what you want. The coil should have instructions whether you need a resistor or not. Continuous 12 volt may be too much. Most solenoids are set up to start at 12 volts and run through the resistor.

I hope you made note of the fact, TDC is not the proper setting. 10* BTDC is what you want. The coil should have instructions whether you need a resistor or not. Continuous 12 volt may be too much. Most solenoids are set up to start at 12 volts and run through the resistor.
Correct, that's what I mentioned in post #19.

Just because the rotor "turned just fine" doesn't mean you haven't jumped time.. try rotating the crank CW then CCW while watching the rotor movement , much more than 5* each way [w/o rotor movement] is a pretty good indication that the timing chain & gears are worn out , however that still doesn't mean it jumped time. I'm not a FORD guy but I know that they did some funky stuff w/ firing orders , heads & manifolds between their engine families so I'd suggest some more research as to those issue. BTW , did you actually see/hear this engine run before it was pulled from it's former home ??
dave

I did see the engine run before I bought it. It was in a car, and then pulled when I bought it.

I put my crank slightly before the timing mark and pointed my rotor at #1 plug wire, as to be BDC. I don't know how much 10 degrees is since I had to make TDC myself. LOL

I have checked the voltage at the coil before and while running, and it gets a continuous 12V. How would I know if I need some sort of resistor??

The voltage needs to be dropped before the coil while running. Some coils have a built in ballast resistor, some need an external one like is used on Mopars and some others, or a resistor wire that some Fords use. As I mentioned before, if you have a voltage regulator, it may be bad, but again I'm not that familiar with the Fords. Is it a points or electronic ignition?

Last edited:
One thing that I have found out when I get whipped up on by a problem that is flustrating me death is, have someone else, usually another mechanically minded buddy take a look. Usually it is something that is simple that I keep over looking. You know, can't see the forest for the trees.
Lee

- Put the distributor back on, engine @ TDC, and had the rotor pointing directly @ #1 plug wire. Wouldn't start.
- Turned distributor 180 degrees. Wouldn't start.
- Started to turn distributor one tooth at a time, and it was getting closer.
- By 3 teeth over, it would start and run, then stop.

That's a HUGE offset. I think you need to pull the timing cover and confirm that the cam and crank are in their proper relationship. If that's OK, put the distributor in so it points to #1 when #1 is at compression stroke TDC. Disconnect vacuum advance and plug the ports on the carb. Crank the motor and observe the spark timing with a timing light. It doesn't matter if the motor starts, just note whether timing is near the TDC mark on the balancer/cover.

The above will test the mechanical and electrical timing of the motor. If it all looks good, you can go on to other possible culprits, such as lifter adjustments and the carb.

Incidentally, once this is all cleared up and the motor is running, vacuum advance should be attached to manifold vacuum, not ported vacuum.

Jack

So finally, it is fixed and running splendidly!!! The problem...12V to the coil. YEP! I just needed to add a ballast resistor in the power to the coil since I have a points system, and voila!!! Thanks everyone for your help. ;-)

I've been lurking, waiting, sitting on the fence, drinking a cup of coffee, polluting my atmoshere with a cigar....:thumbsup:
One thing, since you have points, check into getting one of those electic dropin kits, will look like like a old points system, but will have a hotter spark, better low rpm driveability, etc.
Look under Pertronix....will fit under your stock distributor cap....

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back