Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

351C Engine Won't Stay Running

I will take a look into that Screaming, thanks! It is definitely something that can go on my to do list for the future. :)

Whew!!!

Glad to hear you got it fixed!!!

I sure hope that this brain trust is still in place when I finally get my build started!!!

Mark

The Pertronix FlameThrower III is a better unit, slightly more, even has a built in rev limiter, which is a plus....
andit all goes under the stock distributor cap on that 302....

Hahaha....someone Spiked My Coffee! Hahaha....working on moving the shop....moving a 302 project....trying to keep track of all the boxes....

MultiTasking doesn't always work with me.....I have a one track mind....more than one track and it skips. Getting old....prematurely old

OKAY GUYS!!!! Another problem!!! Geeze!!! SO...the car is running like a champ! Timing is set great, runs amazing, drives great, and roars like a beast! The problem is, after driving for a bit, when I come to a stop, the engine idles so low, it dies...and then won't start again. The first time this happened, I didn't have my temp gauge on, so I figured I overheated. Came to the garage the next day, and the car started right up. So I swapped out the thermostat for a new one. Last night is was running around, came to a stop sign, and BAM...happened again. Died, and will not start. Tow it back to the garage, still nada. I am assuming if I go back today, it will fire right up. What could be causing this??? I am all ears guys!!! Thanks ahead of time for your help.

You are not telling us what is happening, only the engine dies. Will it crank, slow, fast, kick back, not fire, try to hit. What does it do when you stop, chug, load up, rpm just start dropping. It is like hunting. You have to turn all your senses on to what is around you, not just rely on one sense. To throw some guesses out there, Is your gas tank vented, your gas line too close to engine heat, ie exhaust, coil getting too hot, etc. I am sure it is something simple, but you really need to get your mind in gear, not just the engine quits. Do you try to give it some gas, or just let it die? Sometimes the accel pump will keep it running, this would indicate a possible fuel problem. The carb could be getting too hot and perking the gasoline. It's just small stuff for the old guys. Unless you had some indications of over heating, changing a thermostat would be the last thing on the list.

Check your float level.

Fuel is good and float level are good. Looking at the sight glass, the level is in the center right where it should be. I am thinking it lost spark...not sure why, just am. LOL So as I come up to the stop sign, and let it get to idle, it idles really low, then shuts down. Could it be a bad coil?? One of my next upgrades was going to be to the Pertronix Ignitor 2 electronic ignition module and a Ignitor 2 coil...so I could try that, but it would basically be throwing more parts at it. LOL

My AOD is also leaking from the bellhousing...GREAT! More problems. It doesn't leak all the time, just when the engine shuts off. Then it spews away. LOL But hey, without problems, I would be done with the car and JUST driving it around not getting to be a wrench monkey...what fun is that?!?! ;-)

My AOD ... doesn't leak all the time, just when the engine shuts off.

When the motor stops, fluid in the transmission flows back toward the pan and the level rises. If the dipstick tube isn't sealed tight, it will leak. The problem might be the o-ring at the bottom of the tube.

Jack

Could it be a bad coil??
Yes, especially if it was stressed by being overheated without the ballast. I've also seen condensers do this. Some years ago, a friend had the exact same symptom in his Camaro. He spent thousands replacing parts, even the front wiring harness. It turned out to be the aftermarket tachometer connected across the distributor.

Jack

You can check the coil, the next time it dies on you. Carry an extra spark plug in your pocket, pull a wire, put the plug in, lay it on a grounded surface and grind away, no sparky, ign problem. You could be building too high of a resistance with too much heat and when the rpm drops off, lower voltage, no spark. It sounds a little far fetched, but I guess it could happen. Is your gas tank vented? On the gas, check the sight glass when it quits. That will tell you if have a fuel delivery issue. To double check the gas issue, pull the air filter and see if you are getting squirts from your accel pump. Please pardon my terseness in my earlier post. I have had my coffee now. When you try to restart the engine, what are you encountering?

railroad, as stated, it isn't fuel. I check the sight glasses on the carb when it dies, and the bowl is half full as needed per Summit's instructions. You can also see gas get pumped into the carb. I am nearly positive it is spark.

Jack, it's not coming from the dipstick...that is sealed tighter than a whale's butt. It drips out from the bellhousing...you can see it. Not even drips, it comes a runnin out!

Andy, the stalling sounds electrical. Unless you're planning to install electronic ignition right away, I'd replace a few of the cheaper parts to get them out of the way. That would include the coil and condenser. You also need to take a voltmeter with you (if you're still driving it at this point). Check the voltage to the coil or ballast resistor when it stalls, just to rule out components in the primary circuit. I don't know enough about transmissions to advise you further on that one. Maybe the oil rises enough when the motor is stopped to partially submerge the front seal. I just don't know. Sorry you're having so many issues at once. Believe me, I know how it feels. :(

Jack

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back