Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

454 puking oil

swatman260

First off, I am so glad to see that the site is back up and running. Many thanks to Ron and the other sponsors for getting things worked out. Now to my problem...
I've got a 1986 BBC 454 (Mark IV) that is in my bucket and is finally running. My problem is that it is POURING oil from around the oil filter o ring. It's definitely not from the plug on the outside of the block at the filter housing, but rather from around the oil filter seal itself. It's leaking as if there is no O ring at all. There is only one gasket in there. I replaced the oil filter adaptor, and I've used 4 different filters and they all behave the same way. Within a few seconds of the engine starting, oil starts pouring out. My gauge pressure is showing around 60 psi at idle. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this? I don't know where else to look for a cause to the problem. The filters are all seated properly and are tightened per spec, but when I take them back off, the o ring has blown out of the cannister channel. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well , the oil filter is supposed to seal against the block surface , maybe your adapter is not allowing the filter to pull all the way up ? If that was a truck block it may have had a cooler adapter on it , might be something different w/the adapter you're using now ?
dave

It was an rv block in its pre-bucket days, so it was originally set up with a remote filter. However, I've really only been able to find one size of the adaptor. It seems that the sbc and the bbc all use the same filters and the same adaptors. If I'm wrong on that, please let me know.

Ok what about the bolts holding the adapter to the block? Are they too long and bottoming out, or maybe the heads are too thick? Something is not letting that seat on the block like it should.

Ok what about the bolts holding the adapter to the block? Are they too long and bottoming out, or maybe the heads are too thick? Something is not letting that seat on the block like it should.

Ron likely nailed it! OEM bolts are shorter where the socket fits so that the oil filter will go all the way on and compress the gasket properly.

I'm using the oem bolts for the filter adaptor and there is no galling on the top of the filter when I remove them that would indicate the filter hit them in any way. When I primed the oil prior to initial start up, I used a priming tool in the distributor hole and oil flowed to the lifters as it should and nothing leaked. Once it actually starten though, I've had this issue.

In my opinion 60# of oil pressure at idle is way to much. Cold oil at that pressure will test any filter.

I agree on the pressure numbers. If you want to try something before pulling the pump, get a high performance filter. I think the K&N and a few others are built for higher pressures. Not that it should blow out a seal, but what wt oil are you using. If you feel OK with the better filter, might consider a lighter wt oil. If there is a way, make sure the filter goes down square against the block. You might put some white grease where the seal mates, tighten it down until it just touches and take it off, checking for a contact pattern. Good luck, let us know what you find.

AFA pressure , my '01 dodge 5.9 gas pickup w/200K miles pushes 80# pressure cold idle , always has , AFA filters , I've never been a "brand basher " , only thing I can think of is a problem w/ alignment ...adapter/filter/block ...
dave
Is the bypass in the filter adapter functional ??

This is a freshly rebuilt motor, so I was assuming the higher pressure is simply due to not being broken in yet. However, it was "home rebuilt" by the guy I bought it from, so I can't be certain of anything.
I'm using a traditional , 10w30 oil, and replaced the oil filter adaptor yesterday, so I can only assume the filter bypass is working..
I'm at work today so I can't get under it right now but my plan is to verify that the o ring is seating properly with a little paint or grease once I can get back under it.
It seems to me that since the engine primed normally and the lifters all had oil coming out when priming, there wouldn't be a blockage somewhere upstream of the filter that would cause this, correct?

Ron, do you mean the filter bypass in the oil filter adaptor? Because if so, the adaptor I installed yesterday was brand new and does have a filter bypass on it. I haven't intentionally blocked anything off.

Hmmm...bypass status is not relevant. And 60# is fine. Swatman, which adapter are you using, and which filters? Make and part numbers. This just sounds like a mismatch between the adapter and the filters.

I have used two different adaptors.. The first is a GM 3952302, and the second was a Mr. Gasket 1272. The filters I have used have been the Microguard MGL51050, Microguard MGL51059, and the NAPA Gold 1061.

Hmmm...bypass status is not relevant. And 60# is fine. Swatman, which adapter are you using, and which filters? Make and part numbers. This just sounds like a mismatch between the adapter and the filters.

The reason I ask if it was plugged so as to not by pass the filter. I have seen the the plug not screwed in far enough and cause exactly what is going on.

Ron, at the risk of embarassing myself even further here, what plug are you talking about? The filter adaptor has a small screen with a spring seal in it, but that is the only bypass valve I'm aware of. Is there another I should be looking at?

And as to the seal, I believe it is blowing it out completely. It's hard to see whats happening because of the flange around the filter area, but upon removing two of the four filters, the o ring was completely separated from the canister.

And separate from all that, Ron, are you coming to Moultrie next weekend?

At the risk of sounding like jerk , you are putting a lite coat of oil on the seal & tightening 1 full turn after seal contact ?
dave

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back