Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

454 puking oil

IMG_4330.jpg

If that is a picture of your adapter there is no way for oil to get to the oil gallies. Like Ron said the bypass is plugged. A friend once called me and asked why he could not get any oil pressure after an oil change he said he had screwed bolts into those threaded holes under the filter and the engine was making a terrible noise. Enough said about that. I would take the adapter off and check to see if the gallies are open.

If that is a picture of your adapter there is no way for oil to get to the oil gallies. Like Ron said the bypass is plugged. A friend once called me and asked why he could not get any oil pressure after an oil change he said he had screwed bolts into those threaded holes under the filter and the engine was making a terrible noise. Enough said about that. I would take the adapter off and check to see if the gallies are open.

Sorry but that is not correct. Plugging that by pass forces all of the oil to go through the filter. The blower motor in the car you got from me had the by pass plugged. Not a problem at all unless that plug is out too far and the filter is hitting the plug.

The OP said it is a new base and it is not plugged.

Ok, so just on the off chance it made a difference, I swapped the filter adaptor around and put on another filter. I pulled the distributor and used my drill and priming tool to make sure oil is flowing. Using the priming tool, I got pressure to the gauge well over 100 psi with no leaks. Then, I reinstalled the distributor and cranked it up. Within 2-3 seconds, oil was pouring from around the filter once again. I'm completely baffled.
What changes between using the priming tool and actually running the engine, as far as the oil flow?
I've seen online where people mention the distributor not blocking certain galley passages...could the distributor be blocking something that is preventing the oil from flowing?

The engine runs at a higher RPM than the drill you are using to spin the primer. So you get more pressure.
Do you have another gauge and is there a plug right above the filter. If so check the pressure there.

Ron, that's the plug that I'm using for my pressure gauge..the one directly above the filter.
I'm back at work now, but tomorrow I'm gonna drop the oil pan and pull the oil pump to see if that pressure relief valve is stuck. Perhaps it is building pressure and blowing the o ring before the valve releases? That's about the beat guess I have based on a week of searching the interweb.
If that doesn't work, someone's gonna get a good deal on a bbc. Lol

Ok..I finally seem to have gotten this problem solved. After an embarrassing amount of oil pumped out onto my floor, I pulled the pan and checked the relief valve on the oil pump. It was seized closed. A new oil pump later and the engine is running and it's holding its oil. Thank you to everyone for all the help.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back