Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

6-71 blower and Edelbrock 1405 carbs

Grant, be sure to check your sparkplug color fairly soon. You probably know this, but you can have detonation and not hear it in these loud hotrods.

If I check my plugs after idling for any length of time after driving, they will be pretty black. But if I do the recommended drive it at highway speed for a few minutes, then pop it to neutral, turn off the key, pull to the side of the road and (carefully) pull a plug or two, they are the nice tan color they're supposed to be. No signs of detonation.

Glad you got it worked out there, bud!

Lee_in_KC said:
Grant, be sure to check your sparkplug color fairly soon. You probably know this, but you can have detonation and not hear it in these loud hotrods.

If I check my plugs after idling for any length of time after driving, they will be pretty black. But if I do the recommended drive it at highway speed for a few minutes, then pop it to neutral, turn off the key, pull to the side of the road and (carefully) pull a plug or two, they are the nice tan color they're supposed to be. No signs of detonation.

Glad you got it worked out there, bud!

So far, they're staying tan to dark tan, but I'll check them often since this is a new blower.

Went to a cruise in last night at the Cracker Barrel in Lewisville Tx, hosted by the North Texas Mustang Club. I won first place in the street rod class and I took home the Manager's Pick. The guy in the '33 5 window coupe with a blown hemi was none to please to get beat by a T-bucket. LOL

Another question for you blower guys.

What psi of radiator cap are you using? I ask because every now and then, when I kill the motor after driving about 10 miles or so, it spits out about 8-12 oz of water from the overflow tank. It runs at about 185 when cruising down the road and each time it's puked water, it wasn't over 200. It doesn't do it all the time either.

Also is your temp sender in the back of manifold or is it up front? Which one is more accurate? I have mine in the rear.

I'm still working out the bugs, but so far she's running good with the Edelbrocks. I checked the #1 and #8 plugs after about 30 miles of driving and they were both a nice tannish brown color.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back