Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A Bit More Progress

Still making jigs to make this header build go easier.

These slip into the collectors temporarily and will help in keeping the primary tubes in line and square.

3-25-17.JPG

They're made up from 11/16" key stock. The space in the center of the 1 5/8" tubes. I'll be able to clamp all four tubes with a band clamp while I'm making the primary tubes.

3-25-17 2.JPG
3-25-17 3.JPG

Next week I plan to pull the body once again and get these collectors fixed in place so I know where I'm going.

Nice! Keeping everything where it belongs is a pain when welding. Tack it all, then go back and make it permanent. I'm sure you are well aware of that, with all of the details that you pay attention to. It's a shame that you will only build one set of those headers, with as much prep and the fixtures you are building. Oh well, it's ruff being a perfectionist! Right? Good job!

Hi Chop. Have you seen the stuff on Cone Engineering site? They have some neat
Videos and set up tools you may like.

They're great to work with too. I bought their cast bullet mergers and some collector flanges.

Chop,
All I can say is "only if I had a fraction of your ingenuity" damn you are a true craftsman!! Beautiful engine.

Thanks guys.

I can't say enough about this foil tape for holding these together. Even where there's 3/4" and 1/2" sections. I think I'm gonna be able to remove the whole assembly and tack it up on the bench.

I'm trying to keep an 1/8" gap on all the tubes until I get to the collector.

3-28-17.JPG
3-28-17 2.JPG
3-28-17 3.JPG
3-28-17 4.JPG

I made these up along with just the center star shape which seem to works best.

DSCN1726.JPG

I don't have a TIG. Although I'm looking at a cheap one. I'm dreading stitch welding these with my MIG.

I plan to get these ceramic coated.

I was watching "Welding Tips and Tricks" and Jody was reviewing a Tig welder that had the pulse feature and it was $750.
I'll try to find the brand name.

I was watching "Welding Tips and Tricks" and Jody was reviewing a Tig welder that had the pulse feature and it was $750.
I'll try to find the brand name.

Could this be it? Lots of positive reviews.

Can't get the link to work.

2017 AHP AlphaTIG 200X 200 Amp IGBT AC DC Tig/Stick Welder with PULSE 110v 220v

I think that's it. I paid $2000 for my Miller and no pulse feature. Found an add on for $400 that will give that option so I may go that way if I decide to get pulse.

Alright, I have the collectors fixed in place.

4-2-17 2.JPG

Now I have a target to shoot for.

4-2-17 5.JPG

These primary tubes were left long. Now I can shorten them with a down turn around the steering shaft and sweep them back to the collectors.

4-2-17 9.JPG

4-2-17 7.JPG

Looks good. Are you concerned about rigidity? I didn't see any flex type connector. Also, any thought about a crossover? Just querious. Great work, as always.

Looks good. Are you concerned about rigidity? I didn't see any flex type connector. Also, any thought about a crossover? Just querious. Great work, as always.

I wish someone made a flex section for oval tubing. Those rigid triangular braces are just temporary for the collector placement.

The first exhaust hangers will be somewhere in front of the crossmember. I need to be able to pull out the 3' section from the mufflers to the collectors from the front.

The bottom of the tubes are right at the bottom of the frame rails. I'd like to add a crossover, but no room.

I was so happy to finally see that there's no interference of the oil filter or starter. The 19 1/2" on center spacing was planned out years ago to clear them, but you never know for sure.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back